State of the Homestead address (video)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JamesY I had a city dwelling friend who started with a pet rabbit, then 2 rabbits, then 3, then 4. They had been kept in the house in their cages and let run free in the house too, but they decided the backyard was better. Eventually the rabbits made quite a warren under the backyard, and last count that she knew of was 23 rabbits. ? (Yes, some people pay veterinarians to spay their bunnies).
Couldn't you install fencing underground (so they don't get out and wild rabbits don't get in), and they can burrow down in when it is too hot so they can stay cooler? You wouldn't have to do too big of an area. Just a thought.

@JamesY I had a city dwelling friend who started with a pet rabbit, then 2 rabbits, then 3, then 4. They had been kept in the house in their cages and let run free in the house too, but they decided the backyard was better. Eventually the rabbits made quite a warren under the backyard, and last count that she knew of was 23 rabbits. ? (Yes, some people pay veterinarians to spay their bunnies).
Couldn't you install fencing underground (so they don't get out and wild rabbits don't get in), and they can burrow down in when it is too hot so they can stay cooler? You wouldn't have to do too big of an area. Just a thought.

Thats a neat idea

Nah, you did fine. Your rabbit setup looks good, looks easy to maintain. I like that it's high up. Was just feeding our sons rabbits, and his cages are low to the ground. Pain in the butt for an old lady like me with bad knees.

THANKS

Milwaukee tools owes me a check for advertising. I wonder who i should email about that? :D

That makes it impossible to control breeding, difficult to tame the kits and to catch come sale or butcher time. Rabbits can also tunnel very deep. I have a friend in El Paso who let her rabbits run in her walled in back yard. The rabbits tunneled under the 3ft wall foundation, under the road and came up in the yard across the street.

that's why I suggested fencing underground, a small area. It would include fencing as a floor in the ground, and walled in, with fencing, in the ground and rising above it.
I have another friend whose rabbits don't even dig the ground and make holes. She provided shelters for them that have contact with the ground and their area is fenced in. They've been this way for 5 years with no escape and very tame.

Latest posts

Back