• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Stay at home. How are you handling it?

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've thought about starting this thread since the weekend. Not sure it's worthwhile or not, but here goes.

Those of you that have either been laid off, working from home, on call, or whatever your case may be. How is this affecting you? How are you handling it? I'm sure there are other questions, but these 2 have been foremost on my mind.

For me I have been sent home to wor., The affect isn't that bad. I'm still getting some stuff done, but it is a challenge to not being able to talk to my techs face to face. I had a video conference with my boss and other supervisors yesterday. We got the info we needed. But questions going back we haphazard and lots of talking over each other. I think that will improve. As far as how I'm handling it, let's just say it's different. I've gotten up and went to work for 40+ years, staying home all day is so different. I have so many things I want to do around here, but I've got to stay on task. Our house isn't very big so wife watching tv or talking on the phone is distracting. But it's nice to be able to eat a good meal, don't have nearly 2 hours travel time, so I can sleep a little later and stay up a little later. I guess at this point I'm looking at it as a dry run for retirement in a few years.

How are you all dealing with this?

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Neighbor
Well, I've been retired for 19 years, and have gotten use to the freedoms you talk about , getting up and going to bed when I want to.

I'm an active person so I like being busy. So I'm good .
The staying put on the farm is ok , except for this rain , rain, everyday.
It takes away my ability to stay busy outside now.
( New knees).

We were eating out everyday for past 4 years, now we eat in daily..no problem.

Things are not a problem with us , except seeing our family.

Jim

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
But it's nice to be able to eat a good meal, don't have nearly 2 hours travel time, so I can sleep a little later and stay up a little later. I guess at this point I'm looking at it as a dry run for retirement in a few years.

How are you all dealing with this?
God Bless ya'!
Sorry I'm not much help since I crossed the finish-line and retired.clapslow.gif
Phideaux mentioned the changes, times blur. days blur. I can do that later, I can do that tomorrow, I might not do that, I may do nothing!!!
It's very liberating. Some people ask me what time I wake up in the morning? "When I finish sleeping :)"
For work-at-home: the only advice is a barrier that locks. If work must be done, you need sanctuary with a lock on the door.

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Husband is working at home two days a week now, and I have to remember not to walk in the bedroom and say something really loud and stupid while he's on a conference call. Because I did that.
I've decided to write a daily schedule for myself, because otherwise I get out of whack. It seems if someone sees me sitting down for a minute, then I have time to help with what they need. I learned a few days in to put the twins on a schedule, or they will take ALL day to do a few simple chores. I've allowed them a few mope days, and now they need a fire lit under them. Tomorrow is a no school day, but our son is home tomorrow, so it's a big work day, and they are working all day with him. Little granddaughter doesn't mind these changes at all. She is easy to teach, and learning fast. She just hates to run her laps and turns into a drama queen. I expect a second round of mope from these teens, though. They hear from their friends that they will be returning to school next week, even though I've told them they won't. We have encouraged them to talk on the phone to friends, or skype, but grandson told me that was awkward.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been keeping busy.
I found out I was shorted on a light bulb purchase... One of the bulbs has 2 grams less light in it than the others.
I also found out that they don't really measure the rice in those 25 pound bags. One had 2,374,281 grains and the other one had 2,416,954 grains. I don't know if I got extra or was shorted on one of the bags. I haven't begun counting the salt and sugar yet, that's going to be hard.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I could stay busy for a long time with my projects, home, and life. I have made a schedule for myself though or I won't be productive. I am easily distracted. I have changed the schedule a little, and will continue to tweak it. Yard work is on the schedule, and I am getting out and doing some every day. I need to get some of my garden planted. There is much to do!

There is a lot to be said about the dogs I care for, and the dogs I know at dog parks. I miss them and the happiness, laughs, love and joy I get from them. Reports are that they are missing me as well, waiting at their windows for me to drive up to take them to the park. Today, I am especially missing two of them, my regulars. I am also missing the diverse group of people I know at the parks. When people go to the same place at the same time everyday, there is a community that develops. While many of them are not people I would hang out with outside of the dog park, it is interesting to know them and hear about their lives and opinions!

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm retired so not much difference in my daily routine. I wake up between 3 and 4 AM, have coffee, read the news and comics online and check all the new posts here. Then think about what I will do for the rest of the day. Naptime is around 12 or 1 and other than that I'm pretty flexible.
Today I spent about 4 hours cutting Kaizen foam in my new tool cart drawers so all my tools are organized.
OCD is tough sometimes. :)

dademoss

Retired Scapegoat
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Retired introvert, so really no change to stay at home unless I have to go someplace. Get up between 3 and 5 am. Give the cat his insulin at 7, then a protein shake. Feed the dog, get online, read new stuff here, a couple news sites and fakebook. Activities vary during the day, today we travel for an outdoor activity, visit the horse farm my wife volunteers at. Lunch around 12:30, maybe a nap or organizing the chaos here. Dinner, a little screen time, shower and bed.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I too am working from home. We are in the second week, and we were notified yesterday this will continue for another month. Most of what we do is phone and computer, so that is not difficult. It has been quiet, which has been nice. My biggest concern was the dog who barks at every plastic bag that blows down the street.

From a work standpoint what I miss is not having everything at my fingertips. You know how your office is set up. You look at something or grab something when you need it. One of my co-workers and I have been plotting about going back to get some things from the office.

What can I say. You learn to adapt. Isn't that what good survivalists do? This crisis isn't going to get any better for some time. You make the most of what you can, and adapt to your environment. We will get through this, and hopefully, all be better for it. How many people will be converted preppers, and never get caught short again? How many people will forget this as soon as it is over, and go back to their old ways?

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't know what you people are talking about with all this staying home stuff. I am out and moving around more now than I was before all this pandemic stuff hit. I am splitting patrol and office time about 35/65 and running lots of errands for the Mrs. at the end of my shift. The oddest thing going on in my life is that I am out and about more than normal, and I would rather be at home. The wife and most of the kids are stuck at home, and would much rather be out and about.

goshengirl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We're going through small challenges here, but not because of the shelter-at-home order. For seven months I lived in Atlanta with son#2 - DH held down the fort like a working single dad, and teenage son#3 had the house to himself all day (we homeschooled from a distance, he managed his own time).

Now we're all home and having to readjust our roles. It's probably hardest on son#3, as he liked having the place to himself before, lol.

But in terms of adjusting to the shelter-at-home order, that part isn't so hard. DH has worked from home on occasion before so we know how that works. Son#3 already homeschooled, so no adjustment there. And I'll be spending weeks getting this house in order after being neglected so long, plus doing some deep organizing that's been needed for years - which I would have been doing anyway.

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Neighbor
Thanks for the tips folks. I'm sure this will become the normal for me soon. And I dont mind it. It's just so different.
@Bacpacker , the first 5 years of retirement for me was just a switch from public work to doing favors for everybody that knew I wasn't working a job.
I was the family handyman ...worked harder than my job.
Remodeled 3 or 4 houses completely..daughters and sister. Did so much work for neighbors an friends..did not have time for my self.
5 years in...STOPPED that. Been heaven since.

You may want to keep your retirement a secret.
:thumbs:
:ghostly:
Jim

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i ate out time to time when my mom was alive.but that was mostly for her enjoyment then mine.then she passed away 2017.now i might eat out once every 3 to 6 month's. if that often.i keep bite size candy bars and peanut butter crackers in the console of the car,to satisfy my appetite while out n about.but yet yet.im more of a homebody.i stay home if i ain't out working.shopping or taking someone somewhere. even then.i only get out n about if needed.plus i make sure i buy everything needed on each trip out.then back home.so this self quarantine thing ain't changed my lifestyle much.if at all.

Last edited:

goshengirl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thanks for the tips folks.
Yeah, I didn't exactly give any tips, just ran my mouth. Sorry! 😂

Any time you've been doing something for 40+ years and the routine changes, that's an adjustment, no doubt about it. But in this scenario, it's not like it's just you or just your company making adjustments or figuring out how to make things work in a different environment - everyone has to do that right now. I'd like to think that makes for more grace and understanding as we all adjust, knowing we're all in this together.

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
I retired at 60 and I have to say it takes some getting used to.

On the plus side, I have enough stuff to keep me busy for 40 hours a week for the next couple of years, lol.

And then there's these 2 crazy Malinois dogs that would keep me occupied all day if I let them.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Last year, I spent 5 weeks working from home due to a knee injury, so I have some experience in this.

The only major change has been a reduced laundry load. Staying in PJs all day while still contributing to work is quite fun, lol.

Good thing we don't use video conferencing. View attachment 37999
If you have to Skype wear a hat. :green man:

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This morning my wife set up a conference call with the 3 other women she meets for coffee on Wednesdays. They were all at their respective homes, and they were all drinking coffee, but my wife used her conference VOIP phone to connect everybody. I guess they chatted and laughed for a good 50 minutes. This will now be an every Wednesday thing. Apparently this can be done even if you don't have a conference phone.

Then she set up some "virtual play dates" for the two youngest while the next older kid set one up for herself. Each of them sat on a PC with a webcam or a tablet for a 20 minute audio/video meeting through Zoom with a couple different friends. They loved it. On Friday they are going to do this with both sets of their grandparents as well. We also set them up with a text messaging program on their tablets and gave them semi-restrictive permissions to contact their older siblings, cousins, nanny, and friends who are on Facebook (without them being able to see anything on Facebook).

My wife is pretty good at this staying home stuff.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last year, I spent 5 weeks working from home due to a knee injury, so I have some experience in this.

The only major change has been a reduced laundry load. Staying in PJs all day while still contributing to work is quite fun, lol.

Good thing we don't use video conferencing. View attachment 37999
Yeah I get up in the morning and put my work PJ's on. After work it time for the night time PJ's. :eyeballs:

Cost savings will add up, fuel cost has dropped to almost zero, no wear and tear on the vehicles, laundry has dropped some. All in all that;s just a plus.

I'm glad to hear what others are doing for work, and for others dicussing their retirement. Exactly what I was hoping for.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
I'm in the middle of loading .22 Hornet rounds. Looked on my ammo shelf, had 30, 35, and 45gr rounds ready to go, but not 40gr. Had Hornady V-Max in 40, so might as well complete the list.
My Hornet shooter is a Remington Rolling Block action and barrel, with modern stock and forend, and a 3-9x40 Simmonds scope on what may be a custom-made mount. The gun weighs about 76 pounds or so, maybe a hair less. Fun to shoot, and the recoil ain't excessive.
Sooner or later I'll have to start doing housework - spring cleaning - to occupy my time. I always like the way the house looks when it's done, but as for the doing of it . . . not so much.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
@Bacpacker , the first 5 years of retirement for me was just a switch from public work to doing favors for everybody that knew I wasn't working a job.
I was the family handyman ...worked harder than my job....
Yes my in-laws thought too that my retirement meant I was now their on call handyman. They are slowly understanding a foreign (to them) concept that my “No” actually does mean “No”. And no amount of “poor me”, whining or getting mad will change my mind.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My closest neighbor never asks for help but I do help when I see him unloading firewood from his truck and trailer.
He brings me stuff that he knows I will use - bullets, canning jars etc.
He is also my favorite FFL. :)

Group Builder