stay in the military?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tropicsierra

New Friend
Neighbor
Hello everyone.

Before I get to my question, a little bit about me for context.

I'm currently serving in the military, stationed in colorado, and will seperate from the Army pretty soon. I am a single soldier with no dependents living on base in the barracks.

I'm also a new prepper. I've been purchasing survival gear, 6 month supply of food, and a few tools for self defense. I've also been investing in gold, silver and bitcoin. What I'm prepping for is an economic collapse. I'm not very knowledgeable in the area of economics but for the past year I have been doing some research and consuming content of a few economic experts who have been watching the US economy's path. Digesting all this information I've come to believe this crisis will happen some time this year or next year at the latest.

Which brings me to my question. Should I reenlist in the Army? I do want to go back to civilian life but I wonder if now would be a bad time to do so. Would it be easier to endure a crisis like this as a servicemember rather than a civilian? There are supposed to be systems in place for this kind of event and its seems there is a widespread belief is that things would start to get back to normal after 6 months of hardship. I have my doubts about it being so short and obviously "normal" is relative. Things wouldn't be exactly as they were before. The Army always says it takes care of its soldiers and their families. I believe it, along with the government, would try but I have my doubts about that too. The coming crash is supposed to be REALLY bad. Will the government/military actually be able to pay/care for its servicemembers during this time? I think back to what I know about the great depression. Before WW2 it had been going on for 10 years and had no end in sight due in large part the government trying to manage it but doing so poorly. I understand this isn't the same country it was back them but it reminds of the saying "never underestimate how badly politicians can screw things up".

So which would be better? Reenlist in the Army and rely on it to help me through or should I become a civilian and link up with the local prepper community for assistance? Thoughts?

First, Welcome aboard.
Staying in or getting out is a tough call. Only you can make the decision on what's best for you.
Both options have good and bad points.
I got out after 10 years and at the time it was the right thing for me to do. Now 42 years later I still think it was the right decision but that retirement check would be nice every month.
Are you happy where you are and doing what you do? If so maybe stay in. If not then get out.
Everywhere I go I see help wanted signs so a job shouldn't be a huge problem depending on where and what you want.

Hello everyone.

Before I get to my question, a little bit about me for context.

I'm currently serving in the military, stationed in colorado, and will seperate from the Army pretty soon. I am a single soldier with no dependents living on base in the barracks.

I'm also a new prepper. I've been purchasing survival gear, 6 month supply of food, and a few tools for self defense. I've also been investing in gold, silver and bitcoin. What I'm prepping for is an economic collapse. I'm not very knowledgeable in the area of economics but for the past year I have been doing some research and consuming content of a few economic experts who have been watching the US economy's path. Digesting all this information I've come to believe this crisis will happen some time this year or next year at the latest.

Which brings me to my question. Should I reenlist in the Army? I do want to go back to civilian life but I wonder if now would be a bad time to do so. Would it be easier to endure a crisis like this as a servicemember rather than a civilian? There are supposed to be systems in place for this kind of event and its seems there is a widespread belief is that things would start to get back to normal after 6 months of hardship. I have my doubts about it being so short and obviously "normal" is relative. Things wouldn't be exactly as they were before. The Army always says it takes care of its soldiers and their families. I believe it, along with the government, would try but I have my doubts about that too. The coming crash is supposed to be REALLY bad. Will the government/military actually be able to pay/care for its servicemembers during this time? I think back to what I know about the great depression. Before WW2 it had been going on for 10 years and had no end in sight due in large part the government trying to manage it but doing so poorly. I understand this isn't the same country it was back them but it reminds of the saying "never underestimate how badly politicians can screw things up".

So which would be better? Reenlist in the Army and rely on it to help me through or should I become a civilian and link up with the local prepper community for assistance? Thoughts?
How close are you to retiring?

My father and brother stuck it out for the retirement check and it worked for them.

I on the other hand bailed when the getting was good in 1979 and doubled my income on the outside. Glad I did.

If you are close ride it out since the military is a safe space. If not, trust in God and go for it. It worked for me.

Ben

Welcome aboard! I went in the navy because of Jimmy Carter's horrible economy. At 22 I had skills for good career path but thanks to Jimmy I ended up homeless, twice in 2 years. There is a lot to be said for a bunk, chow and a paycheck. It served me well, launched a great career when I got out.

You have the luxury of being single in perilous times. It's much easier to roll with the punches during societal turmoil without a wife or kids. You can take advantage of opportunities, like driving 1000 miles to a new job and sleep in your car until you get a check. A family man can't do that.

That said, I'd be hesitant to jump ship without a good job waiting.

Local preppers? You'll probably never meet the real ones. A phrase you've heard before "Op Sec". Folks tend to be secretive about their actual location and plans... But, if the ones you do meet have skills and knowledge you don't? By all means go and learn whether you get out or stay in.

Last edited:
If you truly believe that there will indeed be an economic collapse then the question becomes:
I trust the government to take care of me more than than I trust myself.
Or-
I believe I can take care of myself better than the government could.

Either answer could be correct depending on You. Do you have the ability to quickly adapt to possible severe changes in your environment?
Are you looking to just survive this collapse or do you want the chance to thrive?
I don't see how any stranger can answer your question. Obviously no one knows you like you do.
Really, isn't that the same question every teenager faces when they must decide to move out or stay home.
Again, either answer could be the correct one and maybe both answers could be correct.

Welcome from Alaska!

As a 22 year army vet who retired about 17 years ago, my knowledge about current life in the military is dated.

My only advice is that you are in the unique position to be in the drivers seat, and this opportunity only truly exists at these junctures. Get something that you want that serves your long term career aspirations and goals in exchange for your indentured service.

If you want a new MOS that has marketable skills that the military also needs, there is opportunity here. Are there long term civilian education opportunities (that’s what they called it back in my day) where you can get a full ride civilian scholarship that meets your goals and needs? Opportunity. These are just a couple examples of options you have where you are in the drivers seat only at these junctures.

The choice is yours and you need to decide if you have something to gain from another hitch. In my personal opinion, these are the only real game changing benefits of military service these days. The military will spend a ton of money on you if you have the desire for a critically short skill set. It just needs to fit your long term goals.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. I think you have been given sound advice from people who were in a similar situation. First question I would ask is what are your job/employment prospects? I am not trying to get too personal, but are your skills transferrable to the private sector? Have you done any job searches on line to see if there are jobs for which you qualify? Will the jobs you want survive a severe economic downturn? Second, Spikedriver said it best. If you like it stay in. If you don't like it get out. Third. Isn't it a bit challenging being a prepper, and living on base? I would think your storage capabilities and privacy would be limited at best, and nonexistent at worst. Again, not trying to get personal, but that may weigh in your decision.

Make a list of advantages and disadvantages, and see what is most important to you. We will support you with whatever decision you make. Welcome aboard.

Welcome!

If I was betting the economy is going to collapse soon I'd reenlist. The military can provide a lot more survival options than the civilian world could during a collapse. I'd keep my head down, observe and have a plan "B" if the chain of command collapse too.

Greetings! I'd say you are already ahead of most people by prepping and thinking about how to succeed. I'm a big fan of the classic pluses and minuses list in a situation like this. I'll keep a notecard in my pocket or a document open on my phone and every time I think of a + or -, I jot it down. After a week or so, you can usually see where you are leaning. I'm often surprised by the results. Thanks for your service, and good luck with your decision!

My only advice is that you are in the unique position to be in the drivers seat, and this opportunity only truly exists at these junctures. Get something that you want that serves your long term career aspirations and goals in exchange for your indentured service.

If you want a new MOS that has marketable skills that the military also needs, there is opportunity here.

The choice is yours and you need to decide if you have something to gain from another hitch. It just needs to fit your long term goals.

I agree with this sentiment completely. A thought... if the army doesn't have or train people with the skill sets you desire...

In my day the Navy had the best technical schools (dated info). In fact other services sent their people to Navy schools, the air force, army, even the coast guard sent their people. I attended schools with people from all the services.

In those years we also had a number of people who switched services. When their enlistment was up in the army etc, they enlisted in the navy. The reason, didn't have the money to get the training they wanted in the civilian world and their branch/service didn't have the job they wanted. This route is available to you also.

Me, I was lucky. I was trained to repair missile systems. It came naturally to me. I enjoyed it greatly. When my enlistment was up Catscans and MRI's were first spreading to hospitals across the country. There were no people to service CT's, had the training to take on multi-million dollar systems. Most of the guys I worked with in this field were ex-military (80%). Also, I went from 14K a year military pay to 64K a year at my first job.

Technical skills may not be your cup of tea or interest you. Look around at the other services though, now is the time. The navy or air force or... I suggest looking, your older now and more sure of the what/where you're going in life. It doesn't cost anything to stop by an air force/navy recruiting office, you might find exactly what you want.

Edit to add... there is a "Space Force" now, less than a year old. You have a chance to start at the beginning... the ground floor so-to-speak. If they existed when I left the Navy.... my first stop just to see what they offer.

Last edited:
I agree with this sentiment completely. A thought... if the army doesn't have or train people with the skill sets you desire...

In my day the Navy had the best technical schools (dated info). In fact other services sent their people to Navy schools, the air force, army, even the coast guard sent their people. I attended schools with people from all the services.

In those years we also had a number of people who switched services. When their enlistment was up in the army etc, they enlisted in the navy. The reason, didn't have the money to get the training they wanted in the civilian world and their branch/service didn't have the job they wanted. This route is available to you also.

Me, I was lucky. I was trained to repair missile systems. It came naturally to me. I enjoyed it greatly. When my enlistment was up Catscans and MRI's were first spreading to hospitals across the country. There were no people to service CT's, had the training to take on multi-million dollar systems. Most of the guys I worked with in this field were ex-military (80%). Also, I went from 14K a year military pay to 64K a year at my first job.

Technical skills may not be your cup of tea or interest you. Look around at the other services though, now is the time. The navy or air force or... I suggest looking, your older now and more sure of the what/where you're going in life. It doesn't cost anything to stop by an air force/navy recruiting office, you might find exactly what you want.

Edit to add... there is a "Space Force" now, less than a year old. You have a chance to start at the beginning... the ground floor so-to-speak. If they existed when I left the Navy.... my first stop just to see what they offer.

Agreed. I was able to use the training and education to double my salary my first year out of the service, and in 3 years I was a 7 times my highest pay in the military. And the military had a hard time getting people to go to those universities to get those degrees. I did get a combined service obligation of 12 years when including statutory service obligation and the time getting the degree, so this explains why.

One of the problems the military had was getting the information out, as the reenlistment folks don't get any points when this happens, so there is a strong disincentive for this information to be shared.

I was in at a totally different time.
I did my 3 year enlistment in the Army and got out, it wasn’t for me at all.
1967-1970 with a tour in Vietnam.
Although I was willing to die for our country back then, I don’t think I would be today.

These days the military is the best game in town. War or otherwise. The benefits elsewhere are or could be non existent before you can use them. Military all the way.

Back