Staying Healthy

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think staying healthy is the very best way to improve overall well being. If you can't breathe or you don't feel good.....nothing else matters. Plus, who wants to waste their time and mental energy fighting an illness? For anyone who has had to deal with major issues, I'm sure they would agree that investing some time and effort into staying healthy is an investment worth it's weight in gold! So, with that in mind, I'm sure we all do different things to try and avoid sickness/illness. Here are some of my thoughts......

One of the main reasons I want to avoid illness is to avoid our healthcare system, which IMHO has suffered greatly since Ocare took effect. I've seen way too many people in my area get shotty care and even die waiting for an appointment or for someone to give a crap. I hope it's not that way across the nation, but it's what I have observed here. I want nothing to do with it! I also don't want to support big pharma if I can get away with it. I do have and stock up on over the counter meds, but I use them as sparingly as possible since even OTC's have side effects and are produced by big pharma.

Exercise - I have always been an exerciser b/c I enjoy it and it boosts my mood. Even though I haven't seen a study stating that exercise helps to remove toxins, I personally believe that to be the case. When I sweat, sometimes I can actually smell those toxins. I know it sounds strange, but if I eat something like fast food the day before, I can smell it in my BO/sweat as I exercise the next day. I have a very keen sense of smell, which may explain it.....or maybe I'm just crazy. I think that taking deep breaths and pushing that blood thru the veins forcefully, as is done with intense exercise, facilitates the process of getting rid of the bad stuff.

Food - I don't always eat home grown food. Sometimes I have a big mac attack. However, I do try and make sure I eat fruits and veges every day with every meal. Sometimes I'll just grab a handful of spinach and eat it just to check that box. Eating processed foods offers little in the way of vitamins and minerals and also gives "big food" the power over your health. Nobody really knows what's all in a Big Mac do we? So, with that in mind, I don't indulge every day. In addition, I know I can make really good food at home. My coney dog that I make at home tastes almost as good as the one I can get at my favorite coney place except I know exactly what ingredients are in my coney. Last year when I saw that creepy azz Taco Bell commercial, I thought, hell no! Which got me thinking.......how do we really know what the heck they're feeding us?

I'm a horrible patient! When I go to the dentist I refuse their mandatory annual x-rays. Of coarse they assure me that they are safe. Um, OK....still no. I pay cash for my dental care and I tell them if they want to keep me as a patient they'll clean my teeth and not take x-rays. I tell them (and last time signed a waiver) that if something is missed b/c x-rays weren't done, I won't hold them liable. If I have an issue, then I'll get the x-rays. I also don't do the annual mamogram. I could pay someday for theses lapses......but I'll take my chances. I do not blindly have a test done, just because they want me to b/c insurance pays for it. I am still in charge of my own care and if I need a test done, they'd better explain in great detail exactly why. If they convince me, then fine.....if not, then no. Just b/c I don't have to pay for it, is NOT a good reason to get it done.

I'm also not a brand snob. I think about J&J talcom powder and how those folks who got sick used that product every day. I don't use any product EVERY day. I don't use the same shampoo, soap, food, lotion, vitamins, makeup, etc. If there is a particular product I really like, I make sure that I don't use it every day. As a creature of habit, I have had to work on this and really think about my habits. For example, I like brand X of beer, but I don't drink it every day or even routinely for that matter. I don't wear makeup when I'm home. I don't use deordorant when I'm home (and not sweating). I don't wear earrings or nail polish. I don't use lotion every day and when I do, I switch brands. I don't even drink the same water every day. Sometimes I fill up a 5 gallon jug or two when I'm at other family members houses and use their well water on my dispenser for a while. I feel as if changing things up allows my body to adapt if there is a constant theat of some sort that I'm not aware of.

Since the skin is the largest organ of the body and is imperative for keeping out the bad stuff, I try and make sure I take care of it. Even though it's very tempting to take long hot showers in the winter, I use a timer in the shower and keep the water warm and not hot to prevent dry skin. I also have at least 3 different kinds of shampoo or conditioner to choose from and switch them up all the time. I also use differnt laundry detergents so that my skin isn't exposed to the same things all the time.

Home environment - this one I can't change too much but I do think about it often. One of the reasons I don't do a lot of home projects is that I don't want to be exposed to that new carpet smell or new paint. All these "new" things emit potential toxins. Most of my furniture is old, as is my decor. I just feel it is safer than the new stuff, although I could be very wrong on that........thinking back to asbestos a few decades ago. Still, when I get new carpet or a new paint job, which I'm sure I eventually will, I will make sure it is in the warmer months so that there is more air flow in the house to mitigate exposure. I also always get outside almost every day. Having critters certainly helps in that regard....even when I might think it's too cold, wet, or hot to go out and take a stroll....the pups won't let me get away with it. Plus, a change of scenery is good for the lungs, mind, and soul.

Perhaps I am overthinking this. I'm interested in what others do to keep healthy in this cancer and disease infested world. What are things you try to avoid? What are things you are most concerned about and what have you done to avoid that concern? Please discuss........

Me too!
Make sure that J&J talcom powder is made from corn starch base not silicone.

I get plenty of exercise working around here with extra heavy janitor type mop on wood floors, shovel digging, ax weed pulling, etc.etc.etc.
We eat fairly well with lots of fruits veggies and very little meat.
Docs are not what they use to be ' and if the way they act in the streets at these campus's is any indication ' they are also not who they use to be either.

I always eat the seeds of the fruit, such as grapes, apples, pears. Not apricots or peaches. I've read that is vitamin B-17 which was known as laetrile in the 70's. It says in the Bible that God gave us the fruits and the seeds of the fruits for food--paraphrasing.

I alternate my vitamins also. Don't like taking the same ones every day and that is the reason I set them up a month in advance, so I don't have to think about it every day.

Not sure I am staying healthy, but sure trying to get there!

I always eat the seeds of the fruit, such as grapes, apples, pears. Not apricots or peaches. I've read that is vitamin B-17 which was known as laetrile in the 70's. It says in the Bible that God gave us the fruits and the seeds of the fruits for food--paraphrasing.

I alternate my vitamins also. Don't like taking the same ones every day and that is the reason I set them up a month in advance, so I don't have to think about it every day.

Not sure I am staying healthy, but sure trying to get there!

Snappy, I do the same thing and eat the seeds too. And take what little vitamins alternately also.
I am not on any medications at all now but will take HP diuretic at times. And maybe antibiotic if have to. Had to take them about 10 years ago for chest.
But if I had a bad heart or other chronic illness I'd take them after reading up on side effects and alternatives. Not against meds,just don't think we need them much of the time.

I worked in hospitals and I saw first hand the people that came through them.
Old or overweight people made up a large percentage of the patients.
I have to get old but I don't have to be fat. I am working on getting healthier. I'm losing weight and exercising every day. .
My big goal is to get off as many meds as I can.
Already cut one of my diabetes drugs by half. My blood sugar levels are around 70 to 90 in the mornings so I'm hoping the doc cuts them down also.
Blood work scheduled for Feb. 1st so I will see then.
My blood pressure is improving and is in the normal range so I am getting better.
It seems most doctors today are pill pushers. My wife's doctor is pretty bad about that. She will write my wife a Rx for about anything she wants except narcotics.
They have gotten really tight with those and it's about time they did.
I can't tell you how many people I know that take antidepressants. They hand those out like candy. When my Dad had cancer and was dying the doctor wanted to give me Wellbutrin. I told him no.

I can't tell you how many people I know that take antidepressants. They hand those out like candy.

So true! I've had two different doctors give me two different anti depressants to help me sleep. They don't work and I weaned myself off and then told doc. And then my insurance company started calling me and asking me how I was doing since they still think I am on antidepressants --and it's not a real person I am talking to. just a phone prompt.

Of course HP kills and is called the silent killer, so I'm not talking about all of it.I will take the duiritics aka 'water pills' when mine is up, but not the ones that mess with the kidneys.
And heart meds for those like my cousin who take blood thinners have to have that too, I'm just saying that too many doc put people on too many drugs.
I've never taken an antidepressant but a couple times the first valuim I took made me slide down a wall and sit on the floor.
If my nerves get bad and they do. I do the very last thign I want to do and that is , I get busy or a few drink 1 to 2 beer or 2 or 3 glasses of wine.
There really is something to that " an apple a day keeps thee doctor away " too, I eat apples almost everyday of apples or drink organic apple juice .
This could all change tomorrow if I got sick of course.

I could go off on many tangents with this topic...maybe I'll be quiet.
My body mass index and weight are supposed to be a certain number, I was told. It took me 7 or 8 years to be within a couple of pounds of my ideal weight, mostly because I didn't care and didn't see a problem.
Exercise. Weights. Endurance. Portion control of good food. Get out of toxic relationships. I'm an herbalist too. Help other people. Be nice. Mend a quarrel.

I could go off on many tangents with this topic...maybe I'll be quiet.
My body mass index and weight are supposed to be a certain number, I was told. It took me 7 or 8 years to be within a couple of pounds of my ideal weight, mostly because I didn't care and didn't see a problem.
Exercise. Weights. Endurance. Portion control of good food. Get out of toxic relationships. I'm an herbalist too. Help other people. Be nice. Mend a quarrel.

Good advice Patch.

This is an area of passion for me! And I like to get to rock bottom basics when possible. We have (for the most part) paleolithic genetics but live in a culture that doe not match that at all. We are adapted to that old niche and it did not include doritos or icecream or bread or many of the other things that we now use a lot of. And there were no deficiencies in our ancestors because no one had abused the land with monocrops etc. and there was no pollution.

In that setting it made sense for our biology to have a single mechanism for dealing with what went wrong--inflammation. We had micro-organisms and injury to address and inflammation does that well. Then shuts down. Now we have lots and lots of "wrongness" that cranks up inflammation but it is not equipped to fix. So it never shuts down. Inflammation is molecular thuggery. It causes damage when it does not shut off. I've been writing about such stuff for the last decade and proving it on myself and a lot of others. Shut off chronic inflammation and the body has a change to do it's self healing thing.

And I hate to tell you if you didn't already know, but doctors have been the third leading cause of death is the US far longer than obamacare. Too often humans like to put their trust in "experts" and not do any investigation--to our detriment. The medical/pharaceutical complex is just another business interested in the bottom line and no one has your best interests at heart except you.

Portion control, healthy fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat,low carbs if possible.
Changed my plate size from 12 inch dinner plate to bread plate.
Went 400 pills daily to half of 20 mg of blood pressure medicine, 81 mg coated asiprin, B complex vitamin,Vitamin D.
Exercise, walking, yoga.

Your doing great MoBook. I am having high BP and talking half of BP duretic and 82mg aspirin. A beer every few months now and dance around to music. But I could do better like not smoke for over 50 years. Any day that could be lights out.

This is an area of passion for me! And I like to get to rock bottom basics when possible. We have (for the most part) paleolithic genetics but live in a culture that doe not match that at all. We are adapted to that old niche and it did not include doritos or icecream or bread or many of the other things that we now use a lot of. And there were no deficiencies in our ancestors because no one had abused the land with monocrops etc. and there was no pollution.

In that setting it made sense for our biology to have a single mechanism for dealing with what went wrong--inflammation. We had micro-organisms and injury to address and inflammation does that well. Then shuts down. Now we have lots and lots of "wrongness" that cranks up inflammation but it is not equipped to fix. So it never shuts down. Inflammation is molecular thuggery. It causes damage when it does not shut off. I've been writing about such stuff for the last decade and proving it on myself and a lot of others. Shut off chronic inflammation and the body has a change to do it's self healing thing.

And I hate to tell you if you didn't already know, but doctors have been the third leading cause of death is the US far longer than obamacare. Too often humans like to put their trust in "experts" and not do any investigation--to our detriment. The medical/pharaceutical complex is just another business interested in the bottom line and no one has your best interests at heart except you.
Yep - isn't it peculiar how you never hear "medical error" as one of the leading causes of death in the US? One morsel in addition to your second paragraph is that historically certain foods were consumed together. There was reason. Often a natural anti-inflammatory was the side for the food item that was a natural inflammatory. And yet one more: naturally raised animal fat is good for us in absence of carbs. Ansel Keyes is responsible for the whole "fat is bad" thing & it's all political. Fats feed our brain - this could explain a lot about today's society. Ex. babies need mothers' milk until about 2 years of age when they have teeth and can eat well. This is for proper brain development. Sooo our brains don't need to develop after the age of 2??? (that's a joke.)
We avoid chemicals, processing, and limit carbs.
Sorry if this is soapboxish - maybe I shouldn't have commented. We've done so much research to figure things out & I still have many questions. One thing I've said is we weren't created in a fashion that mass transportation is necessary for a healthy diet.

My departed FIL used to say "fat tastes good".

The Princess took on the task of feeding me decades ago. I just eat what she puts in front of me and aside from high BP I am decent shape and can almost keep up with my baby brother.

Ben

I always eat the seeds of the fruit, such as grapes, apples, pears. Not apricots or peaches.
I read somewhere recently that there was a fella who cured his cancer by eating what seemed like (to me) an enormous amount of apricot seeds. If I remember correctly he was sued by the FDA or something like that for his claim that it cured cancer.

I mentioned in the OP about being aware of topical substances. It seems that they are admitting it. From 2022.....
https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/160/034/550/playable/d192dcc01a6ccfe1.mp4

Like taking Vitamins...?!?

Bee Careful of where they bee got from, ex. :

Nature’s Bounty and Sundown vitamins and supplements from Amazon.com ;

March 14th, 2024,

"The Federal Trade Commission is sending more than $527,000 in refunds to consumers who bought certain Nature’s Bounty and Sundown vitamins and supplements from Amazon.com. The FTC alleged that these products were marketed deceptively by The Bountiful Company."

More here : https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...consumers-deceived-review-hijacking-amazoncom

Like taking Vitamins...?!?

Bee Careful of where they bee got from, ex. :

Nature’s Bounty and Sundown vitamins and supplements from Amazon.com ;

March 14th, 2024,

"The Federal Trade Commission is sending more than $527,000 in refunds to consumers who bought certain Nature’s Bounty and Sundown vitamins and supplements from Amazon.com. The FTC alleged that these products were marketed deceptively by The Bountiful Company."

More here : https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...consumers-deceived-review-hijacking-amazoncom
I wonder if those were 3rd party sellers who were busted for selling fake powder?

I order very little ingestible products from Amazon. OTOH, sometimes it's one of the only vendors that carry some things.

Latest posts

Back