steam bath

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was reading a lewis and clark account earlier about the blacksmiths that went with them on their journey. Their names were shields and bratton. If memory serves sheilds may have been the oldest member at 35. Shields did such a great job lewis and clark wanted him to receive additional compensation, it didn't happen.

This isn't about shields, it's about bratton. Bratton became afflicted with something. His back and legs were bothering him. They tried different things with no luck. He was becoming a invalid. Someone suggested a steam bath. They dug a pit and put hot rocks in there. Put bratton in there and steamed him for a bit and then dunked him in the river, they did this a few times.

The next day he was noticeably better, he continued to improve. He made the trip back to civilization and lived to 63 year old.

Must have shocked his immune system into high gear

Last edited:
I am a big fan of "steam baths" and can tell you that it is almost miraculous.

I have had a Native American-style sweat lodge on my property for decades. Whenever I feel like I am coming down with "the crud" or some other misery, I fire up the rocks and get the sweat lodge going. Afterward, I almost always feel better and usually quickly recover from whatever bug was trying to ruin my day.

Of course, I don't need to wait to get sick before using it; it is great for just about any time!

I would have loved to have been a fly on Lewis and Clark's packsaddle! Can't get enough of reading about that epic journey. I even have a cookbook full of their fare (plus interesting notes).

Last edited:
For work I traveled almost continually for a few years. I stayed at nice hotels, almost always they had a sauna or hot tub. There is nothing like a good sweat after a hard day followed by a lite dinner, green stuff and fruit... Immediately I could tell the difference at home when I didn't get a good sweat in the evening. Those sauna's keep me going for years.

Some people think of a sweat lodge or sauna like, ewww....sweaty!

Not so! When you sweat this intensely, it pours out of you to the point it is more like a shower. It even feels like you're being cleansed as if you were in a sure enough water shower.

I like to make a tea of certain herbs to sprinkle on the rocks to make "custom steams" to suit the need. My choices usually are cedar or sage, or sometimes other plants such as those in the Monarda family (bee balm, horsemint), yarrow, etc. I like to place small sprigs of cedar on the hot rocks, too.

Last edited:
Back