Steam power, real actual experience not theory

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tirediron

Seasoned HillBilly
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Rural western Canada, Sunrise side of the Rockies
I have some steam power ideas that I would like to bounce off of people who have actual stream power experience, not a bunch of why it is not viable internet theory. Any real world empirical data would be appreciated. I want to probably convert a salvage reciprocation engine to make a low horsepower steam engine, at lower pressure.

I have some steam power ideas that I would like to bounce off of people who have actual stream power experience, not a bunch of why it is not viable internet theory. Any real world empirical data would be appreciated. I want to probably convert a salvage reciprocation engine to make a low horsepower steam engine, at lower pressure.
I can only theory.

What do you hav in mind?

Ben

I had a hundred horse with 6 ft wheels set up on a cement base and a 109 hp boiler.
I never connected the 2 as diesel was cheap and quick at the time.
It was for a lumber mill and as my interest changed it was all sold off.

To answer your question. I don't know a dam thing about steam.

My current experiment is probably wet steam , using an automotive propane tank as a boiler, and power a modified 2 stroke engine with it, so far the plan is to operate a refrigeration compressor. small scale.
I have a steam fitter to double check my safety practices.
I really want to build a system from salvage, except for safety relief valves if necessary.
Efficiency is not a real concern up front, and the proto type will probably not recirculate the exhaust steam

I welcome theory form those who have delved into it for their own projects, I just am not looking to be told that it isn't efficient etc from someone who just looked it up on Wiki.

I had a hundred horse with 6 ft wheels set up on a cement base and a 109 hp boiler.
I never connected the 2 as diesel was cheap and quick at the time.
It was for a lumber mill and as my interest changed it was all sold off.

To answer your question. I don't know a dam thing about steam.
So many things get side tracked because of quicker easier solutions. For instance producer gas is probably better use of wood energy, but it doesn't wok well with marginal punky wood etc. A 109 hp boiler would provide a lot of power, at steam torque levels. but diesel is quick and easy. and intermittently cheap

I welcome theory form those who have delved into it for their own projects, I just am not looking to be told that it isn't efficient etc from someone who just looked it up on Wiki.
I believe this one used a conpressor.

Thoughts

Valve timing. Steam valve needs to be open during power stroke?

Librication. Steam engines use steam oil that is thick at room temp.

Steam regulation. With no load steam engines accelerate until they self destruct.

Ben

I believe this one used a conpressor.

Thoughts

Valve timing. Steam valve needs to be open during power stroke?

Librication. Steam engines use steam oil that is thick at room temp.

Steam regulation. With no load steam engines accelerate until they self destruct.

Ben

Okay that was a surprise to see! lmao

Steam power can be made from scrap as seen in the video above. That was actually parts of two two cylinder air compressors. I used an old log splitter hyd valve as the steam valve. In fact I tripped over the pieces just last week. We did get it to make some limited power and learned enough to know I can build something that will work out of scrap. Let me tell ya though it is a time consuming labor intensive way to make power! The boiler I had at that time couldn't keep up with demand it too was made using old propane tanks and low pressure steam under 150 psi. It would run down as low as 25 or 30 psi but ran best right around 100-110. My biggest problem with using steam is I have more things to do with my time than time to sit babysitting a steam engine while it runs. It could be setup to run more automated but I was working with what I had on hand 10-12 years ago when I built that. A turbine might be the better way to go for steam power generation on a small scale. I may yet play with steam again one day if time energy and money ever agree.... lol

ETA: Had I known about rocket stoves at the time the boiler would have functioned much more efficiently. Later on down the road I made us a rocket stove hot water heater that would have made a great boiler for this project. We used it for hot water heating for about 8 years. Only problem was keeping it burning low and slow enough NOT to turn the water to steam!

Ben how in the world did you find that again? I remember showing it to you awhile back but. . . . .

Last edited:
Okay that was a surprise to see! lmao

Steam power can be made from scrap as seen in the video above. That was actually parts of two two cylinder air compressors. I used an old log splitter hyd valve as the steam valve. In fact I tripped over the pieces just last week. We did get it to make some limited power and learned enough to know I can build something that will work out of scrap. Let me tell ya though it is a time consuming labor intensive way to make power! The boiler I had at that time couldn't keep up with demand it too was made using old propane tanks and low pressure steam under 150 psi. It would run down as low as 25 or 30 psi but ran best right around 100-110. My biggest problem with using steam is I have more things to do with my time than time to sit babysitting a steam engine while it runs. It could be setup to run more automated but I was working with what I had on hand 10-12 years ago when I built that. A turbine might be the better way to go for steam power generation on a small scale. I may yet play with steam again one day if time energy and money ever agree.... lol

ETA: Had I known about rocket stoves at the time the boiler would have functioned much more efficiently. Later on down the road I made us a rocket stove hot water heater that would have made a great boiler for this project. We used it for hot water heating for about 8 years. Only problem was keeping it burning low and slow enough NOT to turn the water to steam!

Ben how in the world did you find that again? I remember showing it to you awhile back but. . . . .
I subscribed looking forward to more good stuff.

Ben

As a kid, I played on a 150 horse Case steam engine and a number of Rumley oil engines my grandpa Gilbert had tucked away in the shelter belt trees on the ranch.. As a young engineer, I had a number of levels of power steam operators licenses, commercial and hobby at different levels.. Sometimes my hobby licenses were higher pressure rating than my commercial.. Anyway...

Practical experience.... You can build what ever you want and make it work.. Making it work safely is the hard part at times.. Unfortunately for most personal use, hobby steam applications the time and work it takes to maintain it, and monitor it while it is running takes time away from other things.. This making steam not a practical, long term use in todays world, or the individual user... The extra work of taking a steam boiler and engine off line or starting up in Alberta winter can be time consuming and a lot of work.. Good luck...

Truth is, you better know what you are doing, home made boilers can be as deadly as a grenade, even a simple water heater can blow up if it doesn't have a pressure-temperature valve or if that PTV is over the pressure rating of the water heater tank.

Truth is, you better know what you are doing, home made boilers can be as deadly as a grenade,

Yes... What said... For instance.. The water in the big full mug of coffee sitting by your computer, that much water in a 15# steam boiler that gets instantly released when released will fill an average house to more than atmospheric pressure.. This also will be at 250 * F...

Quite a lot of energy in a small package... Like said, if poorly managed, it can be a monster..

@ BiggkiddHydraulic spool as steam valve, sounds perfect, I have a few that are too loose for hydraulic use, the 2 stroke engine plan might work, but with a bit of work into a valve system. an old 4 stroke would be better. Just trying to gather plans for a PAW world, which is fast approaching. @ Tim, I would only need the engine in summer to run a refrigerant compressor, and yes there is danger with steam for sure.

@ BiggkiddHydraulic spool as steam valve, sounds perfect, I have a few that are too loose for hydraulic use, the 2 stroke engine plan might work, but with a bit of work into a valve system. an old 4 stroke would be better. Just trying to gather plans for a PAW world, which is fast approaching. @ Tim, I would only need the engine in summer to run a refrigerant compressor, and yes there is danger with steam for sure.
When I built it one of my main goals was to create a unit anyone could build from things they could find in the PAW.

For the best power you want a double acting piston and a cylinder with steam entering each end. The valve will exhaust on one end of the cylinder and pressure at the other.

Again think valve timing and forces on the valves.

Ben

Again think valve timing and forces on the valves.

Ben
the stock intake valve would not work, some sort of slide valve would be necessary, like the a fore mentioned hyd spool, the exhaust valve might work, once the timing issue is solved. a flyweight governor is pretty simple.

Reactions: Neb
I few pointers if you will.

Rotating mass is a must IMO. On account of the steam engines turning so slow they need the mass to maintain a steady run speed.

Separating the pistons away from the rotation where lube is needed is another must. IMO

Hydraulic cylinders and pistons might be a better choice for that part of the engine. Just as a heavier crank and block of a larger engine would probably be much better than repurposed small engines.

If I were setting up to build one again I would probably use a light truck block something like a 300 CID ford straight 6 block with the original rods attaching to the hydraulic cylinder rods through the wrist pin with some space between the cylinders to keep the steam and oil apart. Then the wrist pins could be lubed by drip cup or grease fittings while the crank stays in it's oil bath.

Another point to keep in mind is most steam engines produce power on both sides of the piston. This could be a problem IF modern connecting rods are used as they are designed ONLY for push power not pull power. So beefier rods if you go that route. The one I built only had steam on the push side. Which is probably better for any repurposed build.

Plan on making your own head forget regular valve train parts! It isn't that hard to do since it's so simplistic.

By using a spool valve from a log splitter all the steam can enter and exit through the one valve. Which can be welded to a flat plate for a head.

I lean more toward ammonia refiigeration than steam.
I've thought about this for quite awhile and just a small oil lamp will do the job.
Your choice of oil.

I lean more toward ammonia refiigeration than steam.
I've thought about this for quite awhile and just a small oil lamp will do the job.
Your choice of oil.
I may have to look further into ammonia refrigeration, and see how readily it can be adapted or built. To fit into my set of parameters, it must be able to be built form salvage, as in a Post disaster world, like the one that is fast approaching,

I think I will shelve the steam engine idea for the time being,
I think that I may have come up with a simpler and much less dangerous way to make what I want to happen, happen.
After I get a little further into my project I will post a thead with the results.
But I am going to use water and some heat to create a low pressure really low speed expansion "engine" to run a low speed reciprocating compressor to pump refrigerant, Might even be able to use solar heat, sometimes.

Back