Stinky freezer?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Since this came up in another thread I decided to post what I did to clean the stink from rotten meat out of a freezer.

I remember my great grandma always putting a bowl of ammonia in her oven then wiping it down. That oven looked like the day it was purchased.

The smell is from bacteria, not the meat itself. So with this I thought the fumes from ammonia must permeate surfaces or it would not clean her oven like it did. Ammonia also kills bacteria. So I set a bowl with Antonia in the freezer and closed the door for 3 days.

After 3 days I removed the ammonia and let it air out for a day. There was just a slight lingering smell.

I then sprinkled a full can of coffee all over the bottom of the freezer and closed the lid for a little over a week.

Today I washed with soapy water and then wiped all surfaces with bleach.

As of right now there is no rotten smell coming from the freezer anymore.

I will let it air out for another day or two.

This is a chest freezer by the way. I forgot to mention that as soon as I picked up the freezer I sprinkled a 3lb box of baking soda in the bottom. It did not help much.

Since this came up in another thread I decided to post what I did to clean the stink from rotten meat out of a freezer.

I remember my great grandma always putting a bowl of ammonia in her oven then wiping it down. That oven looked like the day it was purchased.

The smell is from bacteria, not the meat itself. So with this I thought the fumes from ammonia must permeate surfaces or it would not clean her oven like it did. Ammonia also kills bacteria. So I set a bowl with Antonia in the freezer and closed the door for 3 days.

After 3 days I removed the ammonia and let it air out for a day. There was just a slight lingering smell.

I then sprinkled a full can of coffee all over the bottom of the freezer and closed the lid for a little over a week.

Today I washed with soapy water and then wiped all surfaces with bleach.

As of right now there is no rotten smell coming from the freezer anymore.

I will let it air out for another day or two.

This is a chest freezer by the way. I forgot to mention that as soon as I picked up the freezer I sprinkled a 3lb box of baking soda in the bottom. It did not help much.
I have used ammonia for years to clean my oven. It works great.
How many of us keep baking soda in the fridge to remove odors?
Baking soda is supposed to remove odors but I have noticed that it doesn't always do so. I think I have told this a few times here, but one time I had a blanket with cat pee on it. That is almost impossible to get out. I debated: baking soda or vinegar? I decided to use both, but I know they have a chemical reaction. It worked! Daughter and I have since used the combination to remove other odors, such as cigarette smell.

If this freezer stored fish I would recommend gasoline and a match. :D

I always just use a bleach solution. Although we usually keep a box of baking soda in there to absorb odors.

Coffee seems to work much better at absorbing odors. I also have seen where people put it in a sock then in the freezer.

I have used ammonia for years to clean my oven. It works great.
How many of us keep baking soda in the fridge to remove odors?
Baking soda is supposed to remove odors but I have noticed that it doesn't always do so. I think I have told this a few times here, but one time I had a blanket with cat pee on it. That is almost impossible to get out. I debated: baking soda or vinegar? I decided to use both, but I know they have a chemical reaction. It worked! Daughter and I have since used the combination to remove other odors, such as cigarette smell.
How do you clean your oven with ammonia?
i left a hard boiled egg in camper fridge for a month or so! Cut up an onion, placed it in there and shut the door for a few days. Worked perfect.

How do you clean your oven with ammonia?
i left a hard boiled egg in camper fridge for a month or so! Cut up an onion, placed it in there and shut the door for a few days. Worked perfect.
I turn on the oven and warm it up, then turn it off. Then I put a glass bowl with some ammonia in it, into the oven and let it set there for a few hours, sometimes overnight. The ammonia condensates on the oven. Then I wipe the oven off.

Last edited:
We had an outside trashcan once that had some grass left in it that got wet. We thought the trashcan was empty all along, so it just sat there, unattended, for quite a while. We finally opened it to use it and about got knocked over by the smell of the soured grass. I went to Home depot and asked them what they had in the way of industrial strength stink killer. I'm not sure the salesman knew much, but he recommended a jug of something called "DEP" (or maybe it was "ZEP" - I'd have to go get the jug from the garage and look, but I'm too lazy - anyway, I know it was three letters ending in "EP"). I mixed it really strong with water (I think 50/50) and sprayed down the inside of the trashcan heavily (while holding my breath!) I repeated this process two or three times and the smell finally went away. I don't know if the DEP did it, or just time and open air. But I still have a significant amount of that gallon jug of DEP and I've been using it for years for general cleaning, disinfecting, and smell removal (not mixed quite so strong as that initial dose however).

Latest posts

Back