Stirring down

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star_Chick

Psalm 23
Neighbor
“Cannot be stirred down”, I see the term a lot in the Ball books. What exactly does this mean? Thanks.

just what it says. like in jellies you bring to a full rolling boil ,one that you cannot stir down.

I’m new to canning. Stir down to me is it’s too thick to stir, or there’s no moisture in it.

it means that when its at a full rolling boil the bubbles will continue to to appear while you're stirring ( you can't stir them down)

it means that when its at a full rolling boil the bubbles will continue to to appear while you're stirring ( you can't stir them down)
Thank you! Basically, stir at a high heat until the bubbles continue to appear without a break. I looked in google, in books, and canning forums, and could not find a straight answer. This helps a lot!

I learned the term when I was taught by my older sister to make gravy. A rolling boil is the same as a laughing boil. You can't stop the boiling no matter how much you stir. Hence, "it can't be stirred down."

Latest posts

Back