Stocked up on these?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am now!!

http://www.askaprepper.com/15-must-canned-foods-didnt-know-existed/

Example: #14 - Duck Confit- Popular in France, canned duck with fat doesn’t seem terribly popular in the US. However, the high fat content in this canned dish could prove to be helpful in a SHTF situation. It’s great for soups and stews, and it adds a sumptuous touch that you won’t often find in the world of canned goods.

We are basically vegetarian now since we can't afford organic meat and not sure even if it is organic. And we fall in love with our meat animals.:heart:.
I've never killed anything but a dog I ran over and one I put to sleep [never do that again] .

Hubby on the other hand has killed as many as the Beverliy Hillbillies and probably ate close to the kinds of meat. Except possum ,but squirrel was on the menu at times. Squirrel Perlow they called it, I was always late fro dinner just in case when visiting his family.:dunno::huh:

I've never canned duck before. I usually butcher my ducks as I need them.

I've never canned bread before either. My mom's county extension office once told me it's not safe to can at home.

Some of the items on the must-have list may be hard to find, especially locally.
But, it's an interesting list that I should look further into.

WM has B&M Raisin Brown Bread online for $1.98...
B&M Raisin Brown Bread, 16 oz
Walmart # 9296242
$1.98
Free 2-day shipping on orders over $35
Sold & shipped by Walmart

Lehman's has Yoder Canned Bacon 9 oz can for $21.99...
CANNED BACON - 9 OZ CAN
SKU: 100003451

This is the complete list of foods from the article.

"There’s a reason preppers and even just people who like a well-stocked pantry purchase canned goods. They hold up for a long time, years even. They’re generally easy to prepare, many items requiring no more preparation than a quick warming in order to make sure the food is free from harmful microorganisms. Cans also come ready to store, no extra prep needed to sock them away for long-term storage.

Plenty of staples like beans, soup, veggies, fruit, and pasta are commonly found in the average family’s pantry, and found in great quantities in preppers’ stores. Those staples would get boring quickly, though. If you’re looking to add some unique and exotic foods to your food storage for either variety in your diet or for trading, read on for a look at the following canned goods you didn’t know existed.
  1. Bread- Canned bread is totally a thing, and it’s available in several different varieties. While it’s likely more practical to store ingredients to make your own bread for the long-term, canned bread could be a tasty, quick way to a full belly and to get some carbohydrates into your system. You can find Original and Raisin Brown Bread by B & M in many stores or online.
  2. Butter- Would you miss butter if you suddenly didn’t have access to the supermarket? No big deal, you can get that canned, too. There are a few brands of canned butter available, and it’s rather expensive since it’s not canned in the US. However, it’d be a lovely treat in a SHTF situation, and fat is a crucial part of the diet. For a less expensive canned butter, opt for powdered butter, instead.
  3. Pudding- Canned pudding is more often found in Europe, but you can find it in stores in the US, too, as any buffet or cafeteria worker attest. Whatever your favorite type of pudding, it’s likely available in a can.
  4. Cake- A pudding in the European sense that refers more to a desert dish in general, you can get canned Spotted Dick made by Simpson’s. It’s essentially a sponge cake with spices and raisins. While it doesn’t quite fit into what we think of as a cake in everyday life, I bet it’d be an incredible birthday treat in a SHTF situation.
  5. Bacon- Very few people don’t like bacon, so it’s great that Yoder makes it in a can for long-term storage. It’s salty, fatty, and flavorful, which makes it great for spicing up boring food made from more traditional prepper food items. You don’t need much of it to transform a pot of soup or some powdered eggs.
  6. Cheese- While making your own cheese isn’t rocket science, there is a lot of actual science involved, and the raw materials needed may not be easy to come by. So, there’s canned cheese. While it’s not quite like what we think of as ‘real’ cheese, canned cheese has plenty of fat and flavor to be a worthwhile addition to your prepper’s pantry. Check out Kraft’s Prepared Pasteurized Cheddar cheese or Heinz’s Macaroni Cheese for reasonably priced options.
  7. Hamburger- Generally, people think of canned hamburger being home-canned. However, it’s available in cans from both Yoders and Keystone. There are even pre-seasoned canned hamburger products available, like the taco meat by Yoders.
  8. Whole Chicken- Canned whole chicken, like those available from Sweet Sue, are good for more than just the meat. When the entire chicken is canned, all the gelatin and fat is preserved, allowing you to make a fantastic chicken soup.
  9. Sandwiches- Also known as the Candwich, these canned sandwiches will be available in several different flavors. They haven’t quite hit the open market yet, but they’re coming! They come in a can about the size of a soda can with a peel off top. They’re perfect for on-the-go eating.
  10. Potato Salad- Who knew this traditional, delicious picnic side was available in a can? Canned potato salad would be a good way to add a little flavor into your preps, and it can be eaten warm or chilled, making it a more versatile side dish than you’d possibly realized.
  11. Tamales- We’re talking whole tamales here. Simply heat these canned tamales up, maybe add some fresh veggies or canned cheese to them, and voila! You’ve created an entire meal by simply opening the can. These provide a ready-made meal in a solid form, which can have profound positive psychological impacts. While canned soup is great for filling you up and providing a decent balance, it’s simply not the most satisfying food out there.
  12. Cheeseburger- Made in Switzerland, these rather expensive canned cheeseburgers aren’t very practical, but they’re a fun addition to your preps. You simply boil the whole can and open for a tasty (that’s subjective, of course) cheeseburger.
  13. Escargot- Even if you don’t care much for fancy seafood, there are plenty of canned sea food items that could be great for bartering. Apart from escargot, you can find crab, lobster, and other shellfish canned for long-term storage.
  14. Duck Confit- Popular in France, canned duck with fat doesn’t seem terribly popular in the US. However, the high fat content in this canned dish could prove to be helpful in a SHTF situation. It’s great for soups and stews, and it adds a sumptuous touch that you won’t often find in the world of canned goods.
Whatever you prepping goals, consider adding some non-conventional canned goods to your stores. Variety, after all, is the spice of life. We need a variety of foods to stay at our healthiest, and because of this, people generally want a bit of variety in their diet. The humor factor that many of the above items bring to the table shouldn’t be discounted, either. Psychological health will be remarkable important if society collapses, as well, so attending to our psychological needs shouldn’t be overlooked. As is always the case with canned good storage, be sure you’re properly storing cans and rotating your stock as necessary.

I recognize that the list is for French preppers, which I am not. Now for my comments about the items on the list.
  1. Bread- I would only stock this if I had endless wealth and space. I have wheat, sugar, yeast, and salt to make fresh bread.
  2. Butter- I have butter in my freezer. If I had more money and space, I might keep a stock of this.
  3. Pudding- I have boxes of instant pudding along with boxes of milk that I could use to make this. I also have powdered milk that I could use to make milk to make this.
  4. Cake- Another thing I wouldn't store. I do have the stuff to make cake from scratch, and I have a few cake mixes to make cakes
  5. Bacon- If I had endless wealth and space, I would have LOTS of canned bacon.
  6. Cheese- Canned cheese? Is it real cheese? I don't have any and don't plan on it.
  7. Hamburger- If I had endless wealth and space, I would store this. I don't so I don't.
  8. Whole Chicken- If I could find these in the grocery store, I would have some. I have canned chicken, but not whole chickens.
  9. Sandwiches- No, I could make my own from the bread I make and from canned chicken, peanut butter, baked beans and more.
  10. Potato Salad- I have never seen this, but I do have some canned potatoes. Also, potatoes could be grown and potato salad could be made.
  11. Tamales- I do happen to have some canned tamales because I can find them in my grocery stores. I think they are great for a BOB and for preps. I don't eat many of them, but I would and could.
  12. Cheeseburger- No, only if I had endless wealth and space.
  13. Escargot- I've never eaten them so I am not going to add them to my food preps. Maybe if I lived in France it would be more likely. I wonder if they are raised there? Escargot farming?
  14. Duck Confit- Never had it yet, so I don't need it in my preps.

Last edited:
Here is my take.

1. Bread- I would only stock this if I had endless wealth and space. I have wheat, sugar, yeast, and salt to make fresh bread.
  2. Butter- You can, can butter yourself at a great savings.
  3. Pudding- Ditto I have boxes of instant pudding along with boxes of milk that I could use to make this. I also have powdered milk that I could use to make milk to make this.
  4. Cake- Ditto although I would like to try canning my own cake once. Another thing I wouldn't store. I do have the stuff to make cake from scratch, and I have a few cake mixes to make cakes
  5. Bacon- Can this yourself at great savings. If I had endless wealth and space, I would have LOTS of canned bacon.
  6. Cheese-You can, can cheese yourself at considerable savings, and yes, it is real cheese.
  7. Hamburger- You're kidding? No way I'd waste my space or money on this.
  8. Whole Chicken-I had canned whole chicken once, just once, over 50 years ago, that's not something I'll try again.
  9. Sandwiches-ditto No, I could make my own from the bread I make and from canned chicken, peanut butter, baked beans and more.
  10. Potato Salad-I've tried canned potato salad. It was edible but not worth my shelf space. I have never seen this, but I do have some canned potatoes. Also, potatoes could be grown and potato salad could be made.
  11. Tamales-I do enjoy these. I do happen to have some canned tamales because I can find them in my grocery stores. I think they are great for a BOB and for preps. I don't eat many of them, but I would and could.
  12. Cheeseburger-Not even with unlimited space and money. No, only if I had endless wealth and space.
  13. Escargot-I do have a set of shells to serve them in but I haven't run across any on the store shelf in years, yummy. I've never eaten them so I am not going to add them to my food preps. Maybe if I lived in France it would be more likely. I wonder if they are raised there? Escargot farming?
  14. Duck Confit-Ditto Never had it yet, so I don't need it in my preps.

I ate escargot once, in the shell, extracted with a special spoon. I thought it was tasty, but then I was pretty drunk at the time. Pernod snuck up on me.

For some reason, canned escargot seems even less desirable than the in-the-shell kind. Pernod ain't that great either (probably can't get it canned).

I ate escargot once, in the shell, extracted with a special spoon. I thought it was tasty, but then I was pretty drunk at the time. Pernod snuck up on me.

For some reason, canned escargot seems even less desirable than the in-the-shell kind. Pernod ain't that great either (probably can't get it canned).
I'd rather have a bunch of dry beans in my preps than canned escargot. What I do wonder about though is if you could raise escargot to eat?

I'd rather have a bunch of dry beans in my preps than canned escargot. What I do wonder about though is if you could raise escargot to eat?
My sister has a couple pet snails. . . They are huge compared to snails you find digging in the dirt, but that is how she found hers so I guess you could if you really wanted to. Why snails for pets . . I just don't know. Thankfully she does had three cats so she's not totally off her rocker.

I've had canned escargot, just had to try it. Wasn't bad but I love escargot. I've had some versions of canned bread, once again just had to try it. Haven't tried canned butter bacon or cheese yet. We have several cans of Thrive products in our preps and so far the hamburger and cheese has been good along with several other items. It is ok to mention brand names isn't it? I'm not a dealer or anything.

Musketjim,
Brand names are sometimes necessary because some brands aren't worth buying while others are "gold".
I like fresh escargot but have never tried canned. There are very few commercially canned meats that taste good to me. They are either salt blocks or completely bland.
I like my fish fresh - less than 24 hours from the catch to the table, I like my beef and venison well cured and freezing it doesn't seem to hurt it. I like my pork smoke cured or blended for hot country sausage. Poultry is fine as long as it is not duck. I even tolerate goose but duck is just too greasy. Rabbit is best age cured but is ok fresh. Squirrel and other rodents are good fresh. Insects, grubs and slugs are best fresh and properly cooked. Although some grubs and insects are ok raw, I do prefer them cooked. Ants are best just killed and left for the birds. (sugar ants are just as bitter as the rest)

The Manteca I have on the shelf probably expired last year, but I figure I could use it for candles, or Terri's idea.
Is it still sealed and if so how is it packaged? It might still be good.

It's in plastic tubs, with the tear off plastic strip seal. If you open it up, it has a thin plastic sheet over the top of the lard. Probably ok. I keep expired Crisco, too, figure I could use it the same way. I use Crisco in cooking, but usually not lard. Mostly use olive oil in our everyday cooking. So much of the "vegetable oil" sold is just soy bean oil. I try to stay away from soy in my diet.

Latest posts

Back