Stocked up on these?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's in plastic tubs, with the tear off plastic strip seal. If you open it up, it has a thin plastic sheet over the top of the lard. Probably ok. I keep expired Crisco, too, figure I could use it the same way. I use Crisco in cooking, but usually not lard. Mostly use olive oil in our everyday cooking. So much of the "vegetable oil" sold is just soy bean oil. I try to stay away from soy in my diet.
The Crisco today is not the Crisco of my youth. Old oils and fats can still be used in an oil lamp or candle with the right wick system.

One option with the lard is to put it into pint or half-pint jars and can it like you would any meat product. Canned it would keep indefinitely and once opened it would keep for an extended period.

Lard was used as a means to preserve meat so the lard itself will keep for an extended period.

As kids we'd combine old lard with birdseed/seeds for our grandmother. She's put the mixture outside her picture window so to draw-in birds for our grandpa to watch.

I have saltwater snails in my aquarium. They live there to help eat fish waste. Not all species of snails are edible and some are too small to make them worthwhile.

The Crisco today is not the Crisco of my youth. Old oils and fats can still be used in an oil lamp or candle with the right wick system.

One option with the lard is to put it into pint or half-pint jars and can it like you would any meat product. Canned it would keep indefinitely and once opened it would keep for an extended period.

Lard was used as a means to preserve meat so the lard itself will keep for an extended period.

I agree,Crisco is not what it use to be for sure. I use to use lard only in my biscuits but since I have no idea what they are feeding pigs now I stopped using it years ago.
We have to be real careful of what we eat because we never know what they are feedign us.:ghostly:

I agree,Crisco is not what it use to be for sure. I use to use lard only in my biscuits but since I have no idea what they are feeding pigs now I stopped using it years ago.
We have to be real careful of what we eat because we never know what they are feedign us.:ghostly:
That is the truth, but you have to watch everything! The recipes and ingredients change in products that you may have checked out previously.

With all due respect, this is the words of someone who has never went hungry.
I have tried Escargot in butter, frog legs,Bitter melon,Alligator tail, all just to see what they taste like.
Who knows what I may have to eat after TSHTF.
However, I understand persons not wanting to eat some of these things.

I have tried Escargot in butter, frog legs,Bitter melon,Alligator tail, all just to see what they taste like.

I think I learned ,never say never and like you say hunger can change some taste fast.

Frog legs and 'gator tail steaks are excellent! Snails, not so much!

I agree how diet just may change after the SHFT, even drastically.
Never had alligator tail, probably because alligators and crocodiles are not native to my area.
Frog legs are my favorite...

There is an abundance of food to be found in nearly every environment on earth. The two obvious exceptions, off the top of my head, are the Anaconda and Sahara deserts. You would find more food in the Sahara than the Anaconda.

There is an abundance of food to be found in nearly every environment on earth. The two obvious exceptions, off the top of my head, are the Anaconda and Sahara deserts. You would find more food in the Sahara than the Anaconda.

We have lots of squirrels , fox deer, gators, wild turkeys,coons and snakes. Plus all kinds of birds. One being a crow who thinks it is a chicken.

That is absolutely the truth. I always think of those super picky eaters whose food repertoire is about 5 to 10 foods. They may starve to death, but they may die of malnutrition from eating only rice or some other limited foods.

I can have wheat, oatmeal, beans and many other basics stocked, but I can definitely stock something else besides those snails and a few other things they mentioned. Instead of canned snails, how about some canned chicken, ham, or some other meats? If I were French and maybe even lived in France, I might be more interested in having some canned snails. Since my family background is German and Czech, I am more inclined to have some kraut.

That is absolutely the truth. I always think of those super picky eaters whose food repertoire is about 5 to 10 foods. They may starve to death, but they may die of malnutrition from eating only rice or some other limited foods.

I can have wheat, oatmeal, beans and many other basics stocked, but I can definitely stock something else besides those snails and a few other things they mentioned. Instead of canned snails, how about some canned chicken, ham, or some other meats? If I were French and maybe even lived in France, I might be more interested in having some canned snails. Since my family background is German and Czech, I am more inclined to have some kraut.

I'm with you on the Kraut.. I like to buy 5 lb. bags of King Arthur plain and self rising flour and food saver seal it. We also like the Hodgson Mill self rising corn meal. We order 25lb. at a time of flour and 15 lb.s of cornmeal.

I'm with you on the Kraut.. I like to buy 5 lb. bags of King Arthur plain and self rising flour and food saver seal it. We also like the Hodgson Mill self rising corn meal. We order 25lb. at a time of flour and 15 lb.s of cornmeal.
Do you keep them in the freezer?

I don't use much flour anymore. I was thinking about preparedness, food and SHTF, thinking that we may all end up eating stuff that is not currently in our food mix. I was thinking specifically of flour and bread baking. I don't eat much bread anymore, and I haven't made any bread in years, but do have wheat, yeast and hand and electric wheat grinders. I love homemade bread, and know that most people do, except for the celiac and gluten allergy folks, but can eat gf varieties. I may not be eating my wheat now, but am glad to have it for a SHTF situation. Yes, supposedly if you start eating it and haven't been for a long while, like me, you will intestinal issues. I was also thinking about the limited shelf life of flour, even canned flour. The white flour helps to make bread and many things more palatable, but I can imagine it could be like war times, when such things are scarce.

Do you keep them in the freezer?

I don't use much flour anymore. I was thinking about preparedness, food and SHTF, thinking that we may all end up eating stuff that is not currently in our food mix. I was thinking specifically of flour and bread baking. I don't eat much bread anymore, and I haven't made any bread in years, but do have wheat, yeast and hand and electric wheat grinders. I love homemade bread, and know that most people do, except for the celiac and gluten allergy folks, but can eat gf varieties. I may not be eating my wheat now, but am glad to have it for a SHTF situation. Yes, supposedly if you start eating it and haven't been for a long while, like me, you will intestinal issues. I was also thinking about the limited shelf life of flour, even canned flour. The white flour helps to make bread and many things more palatable, but I can imagine it could be like war times, when such things are scarce.

Maybe I should put it in the freezer ,do you think that is better?

I keep the wheat kernels and flour in the pantry. It is there with the oats, rice, beans, lentils, cornmeal, salt and sugar. The freezer is where I keep the spices and herbs.
(along with beef, venison, pork, chicken, turkey and the herbs from the garden that we are drying)

Latest posts

Back