Stocked up on these?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep the wheat kernels and flour in the pantry. It is there with the oats, rice, beans, lentils, cornmeal, salt and sugar. The freezer is where I keep the spices and herbs.
(along with beef, venison, pork, chicken, turkey and the herbs from the garden that we are drying)
:Thankyou:

Maybe I should put it in the freezer ,do you think that is better?
I am not positive about that. I know that it would be better to have it packaged air tight. I have kept some in my freezer, but my freezers tend to be jammed full, so couldn't get 25 pounds in. I have some canned flour that I got from the LDS storehouse. It is not supposed to be good for very long.

I keep the wheat kernels and flour in the pantry. It is there with the oats, rice, beans, lentils, cornmeal, salt and sugar. The freezer is where I keep the spices and herbs.
(along with beef, venison, pork, chicken, turkey and the herbs from the garden that we are drying)
I keep many of the same things in the pantry--wheat, beans, lentils, a variety of pasta, rice, sugar, salt and more. Cornmeal? I don't each much corn. I do have some dried corn and popcorn in my pantry to grind when I need it. I can grind the wheat to make flour, but it is different than white flour. I have bought and eaten little white bread in my life. I prefer whole grain bread, but maybe that has saw dust in it. :dunno:

@Meerkat with your flour you can keep it either in the fridge or in storage tubs with bay leaves in them. The bay leaves kill weevils and from what I read help the containers to seal better too or at least in the case of soft drink (soda) bottles with screw top lids.

We put a few bay leaves in the top of our flour storage container or you can tape them to the lid.

Copied and pasted from page 46 of the Basic Physical Health with limited resources book -

The bay leaf method. Start by placing three bay leaves or laurel leaves at the bottom of the PETE bottle. Then fill the PETE bottle to the height of three fingers, settle the grain or beans, and place another three bay leaves or laurel leaves on top of the grain or beans. Repeat the process of adding a layer of grain or beans, settling the contents, and adding three more bay leaves or laurel leaves until you reach the neck of the bottle. The PETE bottle will be hard like a rock if you have done it correctly. If it is not hard, then you need to start over. When you have finished filling the PETE bottle, place one last bay leaf or laurel leaf on top of the grain or beans, and place the lid on the PETE bottle to secure it. Then seal it with tape.

Hope this helps for additional storage methods for grain, beans, flour etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back