Stockpiling antibiotics....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
http://www.askaprepper.com/how-i-got-a-260-pill-shtf-antibiotic-stockpile/

Excerpt: "Modern antibiotics are lifesavers. Without them, a simple cold can quickly turn into a deadly pneumonia, an infection in a small cut can mean the loss of a limb, and many ordinary childhood problems turn deadly. In fact, they have worked so well that we often turn to them as our first line of defense whenever an illness pops up.

But what if they were no longer available. In a crisis situation, the supply might be quickly used up, just when they are needed the most. I’ve chosen to stockpile a few different antibiotics for just this reason and I want to show you how you can do the same."

It hasn't been too long ago that homesteaders where talking about the antibiotic terramycin for chickens and how it wasn't going to be over the counter much longer but by prescription only.

If anyone's interested in buying fish antibiotics, be sure to read the labels. There are some that are not for human consumption and yet others that don't label as such.

On another note, one thing about fish food is that the ingredients read better than a lot of food labels in the grocery store!

Using antibiotics requires that you can do a proper diagnosis, know which antibiotic to use, and how to store and what happens to the antibiotic when it is stored too long.
How many here know how to do a culture and have the means to identify bacteria? Can you diagnose the differences between a viral and a bacterial disease? Viruses don't respond to antibiotics and administering antibiotics can reduce your immune system to the point that a viral infection can go out of control.

Stocking antibiotics is certainly a good idea. But it can also be quite dangerous. Many years ago I was prescribed amoxicillin and it turned out I was allergic to it and it put me in the hospital for 5 days.
Antibiotics can be ordered from pharmacies outside the USA without a prescription.

I think it's important for anyone NOT to use Abx or any other drug on your own without the advice of a doctor. However, in SHTF scenario, sometimes there are situations where you have to take that chance. I already know which Abx don't agree with me or DH and which ones we have used in the past for specific conditions. I also have a PDR and some past experience to guide my way. It's not foolproof, but it's a good start.

If you have a doctor that will prescribe some Abx for you, you can stock them more cheaply that way than to order fish Abx online. DH's doctor sent in an Rx b/c we were going out of the country and wanted an insurance policy. He had no problem writing a script for him for this purpose. It cost us nothing b/c it was a generic Abx that some big box stores and drug stores don't charge for. I believe Walmart, Walgreens, Meijers, CVS and some local pharmacies have the program. It's worth calling your local pharmacies to find out if they offer free or very low cost Abx. It is waaaaay cheaper to get them that way than to buy them online as fish Abx.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back