Storage Places

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking through this thread and decided to look and see what I might find for free. This is about an hour away, but would be worth the drive.
Free filing cabinets.JPG

Great find, Weedy. You can hide a great deal by putting old files on the top and keeping your real stash underneath what looks like junk. Using old baby clothes to hide the real goods is another technique. Label the drawers "Baby Clothes". If somebody opens it and sees baby clothes, they probably won't take the time to dig through it.

Great find, Weedy. You can hide a great deal by putting old files on the top and keeping your real stash underneath what looks like junk. Using old baby clothes to hide the real goods is another technique. Label the drawers "Baby Clothes". If somebody opens it and sees baby clothes, they probably won't take the time to dig through it.
That's it, I'm on my way to your house to see what's REALLY in your basement!!!🤔🤔

How many suitcases will I need to carry all the cash??
Remember the old adage about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear? That should do it.

Another old joke: " I am so broke I can't even pay attention."

I find that filing cabinets can be a wonderful storage item, if you can keep track of what's in them.
One of the things that I have thought about is power tools. I can see that some chain saws might fit in a drawer, along with spare chains, bar oil, etc. Of course it depends upon your chain saw and the size of the cabinet drawers. If the saw doesn't fit in a drawer, a drawer could be dedicated to replacement blades, the bar oil and other essentials.I can see circular saws, drills, etc. being in drawers.
I have mislabeled boxes of things on purpose! If you keep a record of what is in boxes, the box could be labeled: Books, authors R, and contain jars of dry beans or rice. When I pack jars into boxes I put padding around them. I usually like to use the original boxes that jars come in, but I've gotten jars from yard sales and for free from watching Craigslist ads.
And yes, putting things like old files in the front, and more important stuff behind it or in bottom drawers where someone is less likely to open it.

One of the things that I have thought about is power tools. I can see that some chain saws might fit in a drawer, along with spare chains, bar oil, etc. Of course it depends upon your chain saw and the size of the cabinet drawers. If the saw doesn't fit in a drawer, a drawer could be dedicated to replacement blades, the bar oil and other essentials.I can see circular saws, drills, etc. being in drawers.

I have mislabeled boxes of things on purpose! If you keep a record of what is in boxes, the box could be labeled: Books, authors R, and contain jars of dry beans or rice. When I pack jars into boxes I put padding around them. I usually like to use the original boxes that jars come in, but I've gotten jars from yard sales and for free from watching Craigslist ads.
And yes, putting things like old files in the front, and more important stuff behind it or in bottom drawers where someone is less likely to open it.
I use a simple letter/numbering system for locations, and I record that in my inventory book.

and more important stuff behind it or in bottom drawers where someone is less likely to open it.
If you have the keys, you can lock them up. Not many people are going to try to get into a file cabinet when they think that there's only papers in there anyways. Put labels on the front of them like: Vehicle records, Appliance Warranties, Family Pictures, Owners manuals, Class Notes and Syllabus, Sewing patterns, Art supplies, Spare printer cartridges, Cookbooks, Telephone books, etc. They might wonder why it's locked, but us eccentric people who use filing cabinets think that kind of stuff is valuable doncha ya know? :cool:

As a bonus it would be funny if somone asked you for something like spare batteries and you told them it was in the filing cabinet under 'Extended Car Warranty!' :D

It also would be a cool place to keep your books organized. Some of those old cabinets are definitely sturdy enough to store books. Those taller ones in the middle look pretty solid.

If you have the keys, you can lock them up. Not many people are going to try to get into a file cabinet when they think that there's only papers in there anyways.
I have a couple that have no keys. I am wondering how hard it would be to get new locks and keys for them?

A person could keep ammo and some guns in them.

I have a couple that have no keys. I am wondering how hard it would be to get new locks and keys for them?

A person could keep ammo and some guns in them.
Any locksmith should be able to make keys, key them alike one of the other cabinets, or replace the locks.

I thought ya'll might like this photo of easy storage in a space we all seem to forget... UNDER THE BED!

These are boxes of #10 cans of LTFS. Each box holds 6 cans and is labeled on all 4 sides with the food, amount and expiration date. Every can we own is now boxed like this. K had a habit of unboxing them and tossing on a shelf and when we would move tossing them in oversized moving boxes. I figured this would help with inventory and rotating them. There is no space under our bed for more and the rest of the boxes are stashed other places in the house but you'd never guess what was under my bed just by looking.

The bed frame is platform bed frame that is over 18" tall so the boxes can be stacked. I had to get the new frame (a few years ago) for this added space but it was a small price for storing more under there.

Underbed.jpeg

I thought ya'll might like this photo of easy storage in a space we all seem to forget... UNDER THE BED!

These are boxes of #10 cans of LTFS. Each box holds 6 cans and is labeled on all 4 sides with the food, amount and expiration date. Every can we own is now boxed like this. K had a habit of unboxing them and tossing on a shelf and when we would move tossing them in oversized moving boxes. I figured this would help with inventory and rotating them. There is no space under our bed for more and the rest of the boxes are stashed other places in the house but you'd never guess what was under my bed just by looking.

The bed frame is platform bed frame that is over 18" tall so the boxes can be stacked. I had to get the new frame (a few years ago) for this added space but it was a small price for storing more under there.

View attachment 119571
So do you just have a mattress and no box spring? (I am being serious not snarky) I already almost need a ladder to get into bed (with mattress and box spring). Same with the spare room bed. When they switched to deep pocket, instead of making the box spring thinner to keep the bed the same height, the made it thicker too. I said I will not be buying another box spring! It's ridiculous. I like this idea if it's what I think it is.
That said, I can't handle stuff under the bed. I have resorted to filling the space under the spare bed but under ours only an occasional dust bunny until I sweep.

So do you just have a mattress and no box spring? (I am being serious not snarky) I already almost need a ladder to get into bed (with mattress and box spring). Same with the spare room bed. When they switched to deep pocket, instead of making the box spring thinner to keep the bed the same height, the made it thicker too. I said I will not be buying another box spring! It's ridiculous. I like this idea if it's what I think it is.
That said, I can't handle stuff under the bed. I have resorted to filling the space under the spare bed but under ours only an occasional dust bunny until I sweep.
No box spring. Our mattress is so thick with the extra height on the frame I have to jump up into bed. K has steps on his side. They are for the dogs but I have seen him use them. I am also a couple inches taller than him at 5'8"

This is what we have. I made sure the under bed storage space would fit the boxes 2 high before buying it. I even checked the LDS cannery boxes which are double walled cardboard fit 2 high.

Platform Bed frame

No box spring. Our mattress is so thick with the extra height on the frame I have to jump up into bed. K has steps on his side. They are for the dogs but I have seen him use them. I am also a couple inches taller than him at 5'8"
Thank you- for both posts. That’s clever!

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back