Storing LTS food in an old refrigerator

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was wondering what you all think of storing LTS canned food in an old non-working frig or freezer? I'd like to diversity my storage spots and am wondering if I could store cans this way with a couple of moisture absorber packs that I get from the dollar store. If the door were shut, it would prevent critters and bugs from getting to it. I would think the absorber packs should keep any mold at bay and protect the cans from any rust.

The barn is in a well shaded area and doesn't get overly warm in the summer, but I guess I'd have to put a thermometer in there to know for sure. I would cover the frig with an old carpet (or something similar) to keep it out of plain sight. The old barn doesn't have many people in it except my husband and kid and sometimes an uncle to get wood that we store there. Good idea or not so much?

Last edited:
Those vacplus moisture absorbers are just like the ones at the dollar store. It looks like the dollar store has the best price. How many of those do you think would be required? I'm thinking 6???

Ah yes, I'd also have to tape off the venting in the frig or freezer with heavy tape. I forgot about that. I'm not sure if I have an electrical outlet where I would want to store this. Plus, I really don't want any type of fire hazzard that an electrical device may present, but I like the idea of your second suggestion Caribou. I'm just not sure I can do that. I'm hoping maybe I can just try the absorbers for a few months and then check it to make sure it's all good? I just don't know how to tell when the absorbers are no longer working? I'm not very familiar with them.

To try this out, I'd definitely just try a few of the cheaper cans like $15 or less per can (like Chicken rice) so that if it didn't work I'd be OK with it. I would also take them out of their cardboard boxes so as not to introduce any moisture. I'd also make sure to load the cans on a dry day to avoid introducing as much moisture as possible.

What else am I missing? Has anyone else tried this?

Last edited:
A few inches of kitty litter in the bottom. I put it in all my freezers when I moved them and after five months and a trip across Canada, there was zero moisture, mold or funky odors. Same for the two defunct freezers outside under a roof that I use to store dog food.
I do recommend placing them on pallets though as an extra safety measure although not necessary.

I wish I had a spare fridge to keep things like crackers, and other foods that get damaged by pests. I keep things in the fridge that many might seem strange, but it is one way to store foods to keep the critters out.
If you're referring to an old non-functioning frig or freezer, you could put an ad on craigslist and see what you come up with. You could also check with appliance repairmen in your area. The last guy I had over to repair my frig said he had lots of non-functioning LG frig's that he could get but didn't want them.

If you're referring to an old non-functioning frig or freezer, you could put an ad on craigslist and see what you come up with. You could also check with appliance repairmen in your area. The last guy I had over to repair my frig said he had lots of non-functioning LG frig's that he could get but didn't want them.
This is a good idea. I got a new fridge about 4 years ago and the delivery guy took the non working one away. I probably should have had him put it in the garage. I think that even a functioning fridge in the garage has potential for holding more than beer.

I had the delivery guys move an old freezer outside. I use it for garden supplies like old pots, small tools etc. Anything plastic or terracotta is great. Anything that rusts, not so much.

Latest posts

Back