Storing preps on a concrete pad

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’ve kind of did some upgrading this summer. 😎

Where I had a deep root cellar with a dirt floor, and plywood on top of the dirt, now I have a cavernous space with a 4 inch think concrete pad. I have a properly installed drainpipe in case of water, and the concrete ICF walls have all been properly waterproofed. Critical items that I can’t afford to ever get wet are stored up high. I did a similar, smaller scale project a few years ago with great results in a very nearby location with the exact environment and geological environment, so I expect a dry, 50ish degree year round storage temperature controlled space with about 30-35% humidity, but the scale of this is significantly bigger than the previous project. Plus the concrete pad is a new feature unique to this project. That said:

Are there items that you would not store directly on a concrete pad and why? As I am building out my shelving, my thought is to simply put the heavier items on the concrete pad and the lighter preps and supplies on the shelves. I’ve already have 1/4 of my shelving built out with this in mind, and before I build out the rest I thought I would ask the question. Would you elevate things like freezers on a wooden platform? Really curious how you would built out your storage space.

Sorry for what may appear to be a dumb question, but this Appalachian hillbilly is used to dirt floors and storing stuff on a concrete pad is a bit of a new luxury.

Concrete has the tendency to draw moisture so I would not store any cardboard enclosed items directly on the concrete.

Yes, heavy items on the bottom shelves and lighter on the top. Helps stabilizing the shelving unit(s) and easier for the user to stack and removed items.

Concrete has the tendency to draw moisture so I would not store any cardboard enclosed items directly on the concrete.

Thanks! With that in mind, for items I put on platforms, should I used pressure treated wood to deal better with this issue?

My thoughts were to store my spuds on the floor in cardboard boxes, is that a bad idea? My thinking was that would be the coolest place.

I generally don't put anything on the concrete that could be damaged by water. I place ice chests (with dry stuff in them) and 5 gallon buckets on the floor to protect them. I build all my shelves to allow buckets and ice chests to slide under the lowest one.

I started doing this after drain clogged in a heavy storm and we ended up with 4 inches of water around my paper storage boxes (spoiled everything)

Thanks! With that in mind, for items I put on platforms, should I used pressure treated wood to deal better with this issue?

My thoughts were to store my spuds on the floor in cardboard boxes, is that a bad idea? My thinking was that would be the coolest place.
Everything I have read says not to store anything food and water wise on concrete except maybe on a wooden pallet on the floor. It keeps anything off the floor in the event of wicking, water, and other potential contamination. Water especially has been said not to be stored on concrete. I built shelves to keep things up. Flooding happens and not in my house, but I've seen it in other people's home. Heavy rainstorms can cause flooding. You can use a premade pallet or make one that suits your needs.

... for items I put on platforms, should I used pressure treated wood to deal better with this issue?...
In my neck of the woods, building codes required pressure treated wood that comes in contact with concrete. As Weedy suggested, pallet made from treated lumber...perhaps more long term would be pallet made from composite (plastic) wood deck material?

There was a Craigslist post for plastic pallets.
At $15 each they are notonmy list but it might be an option.
That's about what I paid for my plastic ice chests, I store seal-a-meal bagged rice and oats in them, also clean sleeping bags, and stuff like that... sometime at the end of the summer places like Wmart have their cheap ice chests on sale and it they are under $20 I pick one up as a storage bin...

Good idea on the plastic totes and ice chests! I have accumulated a bunch of them over the years and many are languishing with no purpose. Not anymore.

The concrete can sweat. Do use a layer of something on the floor. Potatoes in card board on the flour can get musty. If they start to spoil and leak on the bottom, the stench of the liquid soaking into the cement can be nasty. Same goes for any other veggies. Ask me how I know. Dry sand or shavings on the bottom will help with this.

Freezers tend to have feet, so there is some air flow under them and mine did just fine. My basement was humid.

Batteries tend to drain if left on concrete. Placing them on wood or plastic covers that problem.
Building Codes are for construction, not for pallets or shelving.

And what are these building codes that you speak of? 😊

I used Dricore flooring underlayment

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DRIcore-Su...ard-0-875-in-Flooring-Underlayment/1000510831

For the front porch that had a concrete slab floor and are very happy with it.

The bottom is a plastic raised matrix that allows any moisture to flow freely and the top is chip board. The edges are tongue and groove.

If you don't want to cover the entire floor they could be used where you plan to store stuff.

Ben

I used Dricore flooring underlayment

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DRIcore-Su...ard-0-875-in-Flooring-Underlayment/1000510831

For the front porch that had a concrete slab floor and are very happy with it.

The bottom is a plastic raised matrix that allows any moisture to flow freely and the top is chip board. The edges are tongue and groove.

If you don't want to cover the entire floor they could be used where you plan to store stuff.

Ben

I like that, but just my luck, every Lowe’s in Alaska is out of stock! I will continue to look for that as a solution.

For our new add on we had a 25 ft squared concrete room put in. The concrete was spray sealed, and it seems to do really well. There is electricity down there, so I do run a dehumidifier. Haven't seen any moisture on the walls or the floor at all. The humidity would get to 70 percent without the dehumidifier, but that keeps it at 30 percent. I have shelving, and use lots of plastic totes and plastic pails that are directly on the floor, no problem.

Batteries tend to drain if left on concrete. Placing them on wood or plastic covers that problem.
Building Codes are for construction, not for pallets or shelving.

This is an old wives tale. There is no mechanism that would cause this to happen.

And what are these building codes that you speak of? 😊

In places you and I would not want to live.

I would not put anything metal directly on concrete. Concrete is slightly corrosive and as noted, hydroscopic. Metal cans, or tools placed right on concrete are likely to rust faster than they would otherwise.

Other than that, do what you want. Freezers, etc right on it are a non issue.

I find concrete will generate dust forever unless coated in some fashion. I use boiled linseed oil. Unlike paint and expoxy, it can be applied to fresh concrete without being 'burned' by new concretes alkalinity. And the concrete still looks like concrete afterwards which was important to me.

I find concrete will generate dust forever unless coated in some fashion. I use boiled linseed oil. Unlike paint and expoxy, it can be applied to fresh concrete without being 'burned' by new concretes alkalinity.

I should have thought of that before I started building shelves. Yes, the floor grows dust.

This is an old wives tale. There is no mechanism that would cause this to happen.

In places you and I would not want to live.

I would not put anything metal directly on concrete. Concrete is slightly corrosive and as noted, hydroscopic. Metal cans, or tools placed right on concrete are likely to rust faster than they would otherwise.

Other than that, do what you want. Freezers, etc right on it are a non issue.

I find concrete will generate dust forever unless coated in some fashion. I use boiled linseed oil. Unlike paint and expoxy, it can be applied to fresh concrete without being 'burned' by new concretes alkalinity. And the concrete still looks like concrete afterwards which was important to me.
Didn't you report the linseed oil invited a bear to visiting?

Ben

Didn't you report the linseed oil invited a bear to visiting?

Ben

Well yes.....that did happen the first night. The building didn't have doors or windows yet and he walked in to lick the floor.

I've used wood pallets for the last 20yrs, even now. Everything is 4" off the concrete. An added plus here in the SE is the extra space makes it easy to deal with any spiders/insects that find their way in. Here they always do....

Also, my 50yr old slab sits into a hillside that has a wet weather spring. I have minor flooding issues occasionally. The extra space makes it easy to get a wet vac hose underneath. Instead of moving everything I can moved selected items and still vacuum up any water that gets in.

The feet on appliances rust up when they are near moisture. Maybe put some small pieces of aww plywood under them .
A couple untreated boards under spuds or plywood.
Did you vent this area ?

Did you vent this area ?

Yes, it’s vented. The old cellar had a dehumidifier that we never used, but we set that up to help dry the cement and I will probably mount that and have it drain to the outside verses the drain in the middle of the basement floor. I have a vent fan from the old cellar that I will probably install next summer. Too many projects and I always tend to put off projects that require electrical work.

For the spuds I built a shelving unit with the bottom shelf being about 3 inches above concrete. I am hoping that my harvest exceeds the space, but we may have had our killing frost last night about 3 weeks earlier than usual. The spuds really thrive the last few weeks of fall, so if the frost killed them, the size might be a bit smaller. 30 degrees for about 2 hours this morning.

Latest posts

Back