Storing stimulants

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I am just curious if folks store stimulants (like coffee)? Coffee is likely the most popular followed by some teas that contain caffeine. Cocoa also has caffeine and would also work as a stimulant. Yes I do know yaupon does grow wild in the southeastern states.
I store coffee.
The reason I ask is if times get rough there will likely be times where you or others might be very tired but need to to stay alert for a time period where coffee or other stimulant might be a life saver.
Do you have a plan? Um, if you store cocaine, it might be best not to answer.
I realize that some religions do not allow any stimulants.

Besides being curious, I wanted to express the possible future need to have some kind of stimulants in the house. Just so everyone is as prepared as possible and not forget that in bad times we all might need something that we do not commonly need now.
We store instant coffee. It is said that instant lasts a very long time in storage.

We keep coffee in the freezer, but not large amounts. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to. It is more as a have it when friends come over, more than as a prep. I don't think either of us would miss it if it was gone.

I have about 2 cups of coffee daily through my Keurig, but I also have reusable pods, ground and whole bean coffee, electric and manual grinders, a couple French Presses, and two stove top percolators.
Most of the tea I have is caffeine free, but I do have a few sample bags of caffeinated loose tea I got for Christmas last year.

That all being said, in my BOB and GHB, I have about half a dozen instant Folgers packs and some caffeine pills (NoDoze).

ive read that freeze dreid coffee lasts long than others. my brother buys bags of green coffee beans and stores in basement where its cool and dry til he needs some. then he pan roasts a batch, grinds it and stores in jar in fridge. he says its worth it.

ive got an instant i like and have a couple cups. but for stimulants there are also caffeine pills too. ive not tried them but know people whgo have for long haul driving

I drink coffee socially. I don't keep a whole lot at home. I've become a fan of Black Rifle Coffee Company - it's expensive but really good. I only keep one little bag on hand. There's a little tin of Folgers too. It probably has the consistency of sawdust by now.

Nicotine is a stimulant...just saying, not recommending. Tobacky could be useful to have for trade, or personal use if necessary...

I don't store much coffee. I can take it or leave it as a drink.

I do store CAFFEINE. Caffeine and Advil are actually the only edibles I keep in my GHB. Take enough of those and you can feel like your 20 again, at least for a few hours for a mad rush to get back home.

Sea story time!

My division used to get a ration of coffee that came in a 5 or 10 pound tin. I was the only one that drank coffee so we never used what was issued. The Chief Petty Officer (CPO) had us stash the tins under the raised floor or the radar equipment room.

When the klystron tube in my radar (ANSP 58A) went bad logistics couldn't find one anywhere. A day latter the CPO told us to pull 2 of the tins we had stashed and the next day I got a new tube.

Anyone remember the Don Rickles character in Kelly's Heroes?

Ben

I like my cup in the morning, and one after lunch. But it's iced tea all day for me. Don't even care if it's winter. Husband, though, is a coffee nut. Two cups in the morning, two more after lunch, and a cup or so around 5 p.m. So this week he's trying half decaf and half reg after lunch and the 5 pm time. Don't know if this will help him cut back or not. Ha. He is used to coffee all day from working, is the problem.

I drink one coffee each morning for the boost. Sometimes if I am worn out by early afternoon, I will have a cup to energize me again. My wife is not a coffee drinker but occasionally she will add a bit to other drinks she likes just for the caffeine boost.
I actually do not care for the taste of coffee.

I worked in a coffee/ tea plant for many years, both are blended for taste, before coffee is roasted, I hope your brother coffee is blended for his taste. Some pure coffee taste like mud, if not blended. Some teas are cloudily or bitter if not blended.

I've read that freeze dried coffee lasts long than others. my brother buys bags of green coffee beans and stores in basement where its cool and dry till he needs some. then he pan roasts a batch, grinds it and stores in jar in fridge. he says its worth it.

I've got an instant i like and have a couple cups. but for stimulants there are also caffeine pills too. ive not tried them but know people who have for long haul driving

I get my coffee ordered from a mountainous region of central America , A area where it is so remote it is hand picked and often packed out on the back of a mule to reach an area buyer . I receive the coffee via Amazon mail . What I receive is green unroasted and unground beans . This I store in a burlap bag hanging in the air so the beans can breath . I roast a small batch at a time to keep ultimate flavor . Every morning I drop some of the freshly roasted beans into my hand grinder and wake everyone up grinding my coffee for the morning . Picking season is on right now where from which my beans are grown so I will likely be stocking up soon for the year , seeing how supply chains are collapsing . ---- I have a backup plan . This past spring I planted chicory . It came up good and made a lush green bed . My attack dog liked getting in it so I had to put a electric fence around the chicory to keep the dog from destroying it . ----- I sent some of my coffee to an area rancher a few weeks ago . He was so proud of that coffee he ordered a glass perculator for his birthday , just to make that special cup of coffee . I haven't yet heard his opinion of the coffee as his birthday was only about a week ago . ----- I gave a small batch to my son-in law . He had been doing poorly until he drunk some of my coffee . That got him up and going . His wife said he needed more of that as , he was working around the house doing things he had been putting off . He is also a black rifle coffee fan but said my coffee surpassed it .

Last edited:
Back