Strange foods and recipes.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...You know I've cooked some odd critters, let's hear your recipes!
..How about some 'Sea Anuses'??!

Urchins.jpg
:eek:🤓

..Just kidding, they're just Urchins. :) My Eldest Son lives up in NorCal still, about 2 miles from the Ocean, so.. He's become Quite the Phenom at all-manner of Sea-creature cookin.. Sure, yer typical 'Crab / Fish / Oyster', etc are Regular staples at his table...

Fish-Fer-Dinnr.jpg
(..All for the low, low price of Walking to the Pier and snagging as Much as you can carry Home... :cool: ) But, he's Also become quite versed at making Excellent dishes with some of the 'odder finds', Mussels, Urchin, Sea 'Cucumbers' (edible slugs) etc..

I'll have to hit him up to remind me what Other recipes he's come up with for Urchin ('Uni'), but.. IIRC, the 'tounges' ('nads, really ;) were just scooped-out / rinsed in fresh-water / lemon juice (?) and we ate them on sourdough-crust shards with a dollop of 'chimole' (diced onion, tomatoes, cilantro, salt and fresh lime-juice..) Quite yummy (IF you like Sushi-type eats, which I personally Love ..) Taste sort of like a combo of Lobster, egg-yolk and seaweed. :p

..but, given that Most a ya'll don't Live near an Ocean, I'll have to, sometime, post up his Volumniferous collection of foraging-data / recipes for Forest Mushrooms, ie:

Shroomin-2.jpg
(#1 Granddaughter modeling some Grand 'Lobster' shrooms, harvested locally there.. 🤩)

..but he's got All Kinds of great recipes for Many varieties of edible 'shrooms, all freely-gleanable for those willing to invest in the 'identification .edu', and all the Funn in going out hiking to forage for 'em. :cool:

Great Thread, Magu! 👍

jd

..How about some 'Sea Anuses'??!

Urchins.jpg
:eek:🤓

..Just kidding, they're just Urchins. :) My Eldest Son lives up in NorCal still, about 2 miles from the Ocean, so.. He's become Quite the Phenom at all-manner of Sea-creature cookin.. Sure, yer typical 'Crab / Fish / Oyster', etc are Regular staples at his table...

Fish-Fer-Dinnr.jpg
(..All for the low, low price of Walking to the Pier and snagging as Much as you can carry Home... :cool: ) But, he's Also become quite versed at making Excellent dishes with some of the 'odder finds', Mussels, Urchin, Sea 'Cucumbers' (edible slugs) etc..

I'll have to hit him up to remind me what Other recipes he's come up with for Urchin ('Uni'), but.. IIRC, the 'tounges' ('nads, really ;) were just scooped-out / rinsed in fresh-water / lemon juice (?) and we ate them on sourdough-crust shards with a dollop of 'chimole' (diced onion, tomatoes, cilantro, salt and fresh lime-juice..) Quite yummy (IF you like Sushi-type eats, which I personally Love ..) Taste sort of like a combo of Lobster, egg-yolk and seaweed. :p

..but, given that Most a ya'll don't Live near an Ocean, I'll have to, sometime, post up his Volumniferous collection of foraging-data / recipes for Forest Mushrooms, ie:

Shroomin-2.jpg
(#1 Granddaughter modeling some Grand 'Lobster' shrooms, harvested locally there.. 🤩)

..but he's got All Kinds of great recipes for Many varieties of edible 'shrooms, all freely-gleanable for those willing to invest in the 'identification .edu', and all the Funn in going out hiking to forage for 'em. :cool:

Great Thread, Magu! 👍

jd
Just ran across this today. I'll pass.

Now you guys are getting into it! any "unusual" food source we might turn up our nose at now that we'd be all over in a shortage of food/meat. Who has some goat or lamb recipes?
Not everyone here in the States has access to either, I haven't had either since I was a kid.
I got one for you...
SOUSE meat/AKA Head cheese! I love the stuff in scrambled eggs!
Scrapple? Lungs? heart fillets? DEEP FRIED SQUIRREL HEAD! Now I wouldn't touch it now unless I was starving, but as a kid in Coaltown...
How about "ground cherries" or their Mexican cousins Tomatillos? Ramps? I know some of y'all hunt ramps! safe mushrooms. Hell, even meal-worms in gravy. Some of you know I failed my SERE course because I couldn't eat the damn things. How about some pine bark recipes?

Now you guys are getting into it! any "unusual" food source we might turn up our nose at now that we'd be all over in a shortage of food/meat. Who has some goat or lamb recipes?
Not everyone here in the States has access to either, I haven't had either since I was a kid.
I got one for you...
Scrapple? Lungs? heart fillets? DEEP FRIED SQUIRREL HEAD! Now I wouldn't touch it now unless I was starving, but as a kid in Coaltown...
How about "ground cherries" or their Mexican cousins Tomatillos? Ramps? I know some of y'all hunt ramps! safe mushrooms. Hell, even meal-worms in gravy. Some of you know I failed my SERE course because I couldn't eat the damn things. How about some pine bark recipes?
I have made Head Cheese, Scrapple and Fried Squirrel, but not the head.

I got one for you...
Don't even get me started on "mountain oysters" :mad:.
I have a funny story about them that I already shared elsewhere on here.

..Lungs? heart fillets?...
Aye..

haggis-3-final.jpg

..I know it's been discussed / debated, elsewhere, herein, but.. Worth a mention at least.. :cool:

..And, yeah, I'm pretty 'adventurous' when it comes to eats, but.. I Definitely have "a line", ie: @Dani OMooG, Waaaay Hard Pass on that Vietnamese, uh... 'Moossy'? 🤓😱o_O ..all I can think of is that "one scene" from that 'Kingpin' flick with Woody Harrellson.. 🤮 Yah, Some things are just NOT meant to be consumed, Imo.. I'd sooner eat maggots, for reals..

jd

I like haggis, it's like a stuffed chitin. Whoops! there's one we haven't touched yet! I can almost guarantee, if your local store sells souse and lard, there's a bucket of chitlins there somewhere!
Let's see if I can remember what goes into chitin stuffing.
It was either coarse ground corn meal or grits.
whole corn, onions, eggs, milk, cracklings, and sage? sometimes with hot peppers, sometimes not. they tasted like sausage-flavored cornbread.

Last edited:
Catfish head soup. Same recipe as regular catfish soup, but with just the heads. normally you make it during the canning season so you can have it fresh and have it in hunting season.
Chicken broth, 3 gallons.
2-3 mud cat heads, the big ones.
3 fist-sized red onions.
3 red taters.
1 cup of shredded red cabbage.
3+red chili peppers.
1 cup of carrots diced up.
2 cups of celery.
1 cup of mixed beans.
1 hunk of washed salt fatback.
1 beer.
Boil it until the beans are done, and remove the skulls and can on the spot.

Latest posts

Back