Strong solar storm predicting a great Aurora light show tonight

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
To my northern hemisphere friends, there is a good chance for a northern lights show tonight.

This is predicted to be a KP7 for today. The KP index goes from 1 to 9. This is among the stronger predicted hits the earth has taken in recent years based on the KP index. I think I will stay up to watch the show.

Below is a prediction of where the aurora (northern lights) are predicted to be directly overhead tonight. These forecast are perhaps a bit less reliable than your standard weather forecast

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast
1648738847156.png

Forecast: Auroral activity will be high(++). Weather permitting, highly active auroral displays will be visible overhead from Inuvik, Yellowknife, Rankin and Iqaluit, to Portland OR, Cheyenne, Lincoln, Springfield, and New York City, and visible low on the horizon as far south as Carson City, Oklahoma City, and Raleigh.

1648738917082.png

Forecast: Auroral activity will be high(++). Weather permitting, highly active auroral displays will be visible overhead from Tromsø, Norway to as far south as Aberdeen, Scotland and St. Petersburg, Russia, and visible low on the horizon as far south as Dublin and Hamburg.

Again, forecasts are a bit less accurate than your standard weather forecast, but if you have clear skies and are away from big city lights, you have a good chance to see a show tonight. From personal experience, the most activity is typically from between midnight to 4 am with lots of variation.

Darn, always wanted to see the lights! Never seen them even though I've been in the arctic ocean. It's on my bucket list, one day maybe.

The upper corner of Bama has a chance to see tonight if it is clear. Maybe at the edge of the northern horizon away from the city.

I've seen the Aurora Borealis before and the view is amazing. This is definitely worth staying up for and taking a look if your skies aren't cloudy. Right now, we have mostly clear skies...I'll be up to watch.

I've seen the lights several times. 15 or 20 years ago, there was a light show that was so impressive I had to pull over and just look at it. The entire north sky turned yellow green would occasionally flash like lightning. Even light clouds couldn't cover it, as it was so bright that it lit up the clouds.

If this could be something like that was, you're darn right I'd get up to see it. I feel fortunate to have seen a show like that once. To see it twice would be more than a man could ask for in life...

It's supposed to be clear locally. My problem is the elevation increases to the north for the next 50 miles. Finding a spot to the north with a clear view to the horizon will be tricky, and I need to go north to see it. I can't think of a spot presently, couple of maybe's.

Latest posts

Back