1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupidest gas range, ever.

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by BBQJoe, Jan 21, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 21, 2018 #1

BBQJoe

BBQJoe

BBQJoe

Void where prohibitied Neighbor HCL Supporter

About two years ago, I decided to upgrade from an RV oven/stove.
    I didn't have a need for anything fancy, just a range that would be operable on propane.

I was at an appliance place and looked at the scratch and dent dept.
    I found one a little above my budget, but it was a good match for my fridge/freezer.
    It did have an AC cord, and I figured it to be nothing more than power for the clock, timer, and elec ignition, seeing as this thing had no pilot light.
    The unit is a GE Adora.

I was ok with using a lighter to light the stove, and had no need for the clock and all.

Then I went to use the nice full sized oven.
    It wouldn't work without AC.

So I fired up my 2800 watt generator, and plugged it in.

I'm not sure what the designers came up with, but every time the oven comes on, it throws the generator into full power mode. I'm saying, it really puts a load on it.
    It makes me think that the oven not only operates on propane, but uses electricity for heat as well.

There are a number of options on the stovetop configuration, including a removable griddle that can be changed out with burner grates.
    The four separate burners are various sized, with one huge one called a power boil, and it does that very well.
    It will bring a pot of water to boil faster than any stove I've ever seen.
    But the AC/gas oven is a real deal breaker.

This is a stupid oven for off grid living.

Don't make this mistake.

2. Jan 21, 2018 #2

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I don't buy any GE appliances or even their light bulbs.
    My dad was a Boeing engineer and told me that Boeing won't use GE engines unless a customer specifically requires them. The reason is that GE rates engine power at 100% while the industry standard is 90%. Boeing tests their engines to 120% during the checkout process and the GE engines can't take more than 110%. I had problems with light bulbs burning out very fast just after I bought a new house. When I examined the bulbs I found they were GE and rated at 110 volts. When you connect them to 120 volts they are brighter but they only lasted a month. When I bought Sylvania bulbs they were rated for 120 volts and lasted a lot longer - some over a year. Since then I always buy something other than GE.

3. Jan 21, 2018 #3

Sunshine

Sunshine

Sunshine

Just your average ninja Neighbor HCL Supporter

Is it convection? If so the electric is running the fan.

gumpy, MoBookworm1957 and Caribou like this.
  4. Jan 21, 2018 #4

backlash

backlash

backlash

I think they need to draw at least 3.2 amps to open the gas valve correctly.
    I don't think you can manually light the oven it needs the gas valve to open and that requires the glow bar to run and that requires power.
    What model do you have?

5. Jan 21, 2018 #5

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

This is important information. I have never really paid attention to this before. Many years ago I bought some light bulbs that were supposed to last longer than most store bought bulbs. If I remember correctly, they did. Of course I don't remember who sold them to me now.

gumpy likes this.
  6. Jan 21, 2018 #6

BBQJoe

BBQJoe

BBQJoe

Oh well, since we've gone off the rails.....and are now discussing lightbulbs......

I used to have a lamp over my desk at the restaurant that used 1 light bulb, and was on 24/7. I used incandescents in it for years.
    Usually the bulbs were marked "X" many hours. 1000 comes to mind.

They have this stuff down to a science.
    Many times just for the Halibut, I'd figure the time in days and hours that it should last when I installed a new one, and marked it ahead in my desk calendar.
    I'll be dipped in dog turds if the bulb didn't blow within about an hour of the given time, every time.

After awhile I went with a CF bulb. It lasted years, and was still working when I sold the place.

gumpy and Caribou like this.
  7. Jan 21, 2018 #7

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

My oven has a glow plug type thing. I can't even us it right now because that plug won't turn off if the oven is set above 300. I have to turn off the breaker for an hour or so until it cools off or it will just come back on. We are looking at stoves next week to replace this one.

gumpy and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  8. Jan 21, 2018 #8

LastO

LastO

LastO

Hmmm. I just took the gas stove out of my home as we are converting to electric and carried it to the cabin. I have not hooked it up yet but hope I don't have this problem. It also has electric starters that click when you turn on a burner. I have no idea about the oven. At one point I took a washing machine up there that would not run off my battery bank or generator for some reason.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    gumpy and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  9. Feb 10, 2018 #9

gumpy

gumpy

gumpy

I used to be in contact with GE Customer Support(definitely an Oxymoron!)and I could relate some horror stories. One tale I'll tell is, I was dealing with a customer who couldn't get anywhere with the manufacturer. I asked her to call GE and they put her on hold. A few minutes later I heard a manager on duty call and when I answered the call, she was on the line while I was looking her in the eye! I've never bought GE since.

10. Feb 10, 2018 #10

LastO

LastO

LastO

Ok, I took my stove to my cabin. I plugged it in to the battery bank via my power inverter. I clicked a burner on and it clicked like it did at home but was slower. It did light. Then I tried the oven. I turned it on and then looked inside. At the top it has a small coil that heats up. No clicking to light. The coil turns red hot and I closed the door to the oven. Shortly thereafter the oven lit. I looked inside and the igniter was still red. It stays on all the time the oven is on. I did not have my Kill-o-watt with me so I'll take it up there next time I go and see what the power draw is.

Terri9630 and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  11. Feb 10, 2018 #11

BBQJoe

BBQJoe

BBQJoe

I'll just bet it's enormous!

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  12. Feb 10, 2018 #12

LastO

LastO

LastO