Suburban Life

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do un...
We can't pick our neighbors. And some people need some restriction. One...

We did. ;)

Over time we ( our family) have 5 consecutive properties if we don't count being separated by the road. If any of the 5-6 adjoining properties becomes available I will trying to work a deal.

Ben

I do understand what your saying but other things come into play here. If you have some distance from your neigbors then yes by all means no HOA rules. But if you have some idiot living close by then rules may be a good thing. We can't pick our neighbors. And some people need some restriction. One house in the n-hood can make your property value take a huge dive downward.Happen to my friend.
HOA is still worse than that. Being in a HOA is paying a group of clowns to be able to tell you what you can do with your own property. What others do with their property is not my or anyone else's business until it begins to infringe upon the rights of others. Plus in the neighborhoods that have HOA the houses tend to be so close together that you can hear your neighbor fart. No thank you.

We did. ;)

Over time we ( our family) have 5 consecutive properties if we don't count being separated by the road. If any of the 5-6 adjoining properties becomes available I will trying to work a deal.

Ben

Ben now a days if you can can afford to do so that is the best way to have good neighbors. Otherwise its a game of chance.

HOA is still worse than that. Being in a HOA is paying a group of clowns to be able to tell you what you can do with your own property. What others do with their property is not my or anyone else's business until it begins to infringe upon the rights of others. Plus in the neighborhoods that have HOA the houses tend to be so close together that you can hear your neighbor fart. No thank you.

We live in the middle of 11 aces,and for 24 years its been fine till this family is setting up camping rght up against our fence. Why put your campsite right near a fence? Why not get in middle or road side of your lot? He lives on a corner lot,so he has 4 choices. Guess he plans to use our fence too.He has as much nerve as most liberals.

We live in the middle of 11 aces,and for 24 years its been fine till this family is setting up camping rght up against our fence. Why put your campsite right near a fence? Why not get in middle or road side of your lot? He lives on a corner lot,so he has 4 choices. Guess he plans to use our fence too.He has as much nerve as most liberals.
If they are not interfering with your fence or your property, I don't understand the problem. Now if they are trespassing or damaging your fence or any of your property then yes there's a problem. But camping along a fence line doesn't seem to be an issue to me unless they're keeping you up at night or something...

There is just such a place nearing completion on the other side of the valley where we live. They may get to plant flowers in the front yard but that is about it.

Ben

If they are not interfering with your fence or your property, I don't understand the problem. Now if they are trespassing or damaging your fence or any of your property then yes there's a problem. But camping along a fence line doesn't seem to be an issue to me unless they're keeping you up at night or something...
Yup!

A
Can you keep a sharp eye on them?

B
Is the site readily accessible?

C
Do they like the view of your place?

Ben

I do understand what your saying but other things come into play here. If you have some distance from your neigbors then yes by all means no HOA rules. But if you have some idiot living close by then rules may be a good thing. We can't pick our neighbors. And some people need some restriction. One house in the n-hood can make your property value take a huge dive downward.Happen to my friend.
Again, need a 'like times ten' button!

@Bacpacker @Meerkat I had never really thought about but I guess I don't know what or how most folks spend there time.
When I retired from the Army.
I had to take a series of classes to learn how to become a civilian.
Super busy people do not make good retiree's for about 5 years.
By the way, I have started taking how to become a civilian classes again.
Didn't work the first two times.

I would love to have a house, fenced yard so Strawberry could come home.
Don't need 500 acres.
Would like 5-10 acres, livable house, fenced yard.
Enough space for garden, space around the house, so people can't get close.
Cause I miss her.
But my son showed me a video of her present life.
No way she's coming back to me.
So I will get a small ankle biter new Service Dog.

I would love to have 100-500 acres and a house right in the middle of it. And all the cool stuff, solar, a large creek with hydro power, etc. Dreams type stuff. But being 60 and with a bad back I know I can't do all the things I want to do. Maybe if I was 30-40 and in good shape physically. But I do want enough land to be seperated from my neighbors and have enough land to grow large gardens and have some animals to raise for food and be able to feed them from.
But I also realize my time is limited to do the things I want before I'm too old to manage it. I guess I'm just thinking thru what is feasible for us and what makes sense to try and accomplish.

I would love to have 100-500 acres and a house right in the middle of it. And all the cool stuff, solar, a large creek with hydro power, etc. Dreams type stuff. But being 60 and with a bad back I know I can't do all the things I want to do. Maybe if I was 30-40 and in good shape physically. But I do want enough land to be seperated from my neighbors and have enough land to grow large gardens and have some animals to raise for food and be able to feed them from.
But I also realize my time is limited to do the things I want before I'm too old to manage it. I guess I'm just thinking thru what is feasible for us and what makes sense to try and accomplish.

BacP in the times we live in it may be a good idea to think of power in numbers although we may like to think we could survive alone that is not loooking promising now,but then guess being in numbers may be considered a threat to the PTB so don't know really.
Remember his movie a few years ago? The trailer is not good,but the movie was ok.

Last edited:
Just planted a half dozen apple trees today. And the odd thing was, I was feeling sad. We are filling up our land. There is a peach tree that was a volunteer that has peaches on it I've been protecting from late frosts and had in mind if it makes nice peaches, I might graft a half dozen or so... but... where to put them? We're runnin' out of space. And we have NOT run out of stuff we'd like to do. The other fruit trees that never got planted, the big strawberry patch, and more... :dunno:

We have 3.5 acres, probably a half acre of which is a pond. And it's nice enough. Some of the ground is too steep to do anything with. Some of it is extremely rocky, too. (And some both steep and rocky.) People looked at me like I was crazy when I said I wanted more tillable land, before we bought this, that is. Said, "Oh, you'll have plenty of room." Um, no. We're about out of room.

We do have good neighbors but most of them have no interest in turning loose of any land. And I don't know if I really wanna travel all over the county to work various pieces of land (which some of the neighbor's kids do). Lots of land wouldn't be usable anyway. Kinda feeling like I'm too old to wanna keep starting over and this will just be it.

I know, I should be very thankful for what we do have and not compare my tiny little place to the sprawling farms around me. I'm sure there's a reason why bigger places didn't work out.

If we got discouraged enough, we could sell this place in a heartbeat and move in to our son's house in Scottsdale, AZ, in a very nice subdivision. They've wanted us to do that for years. I can see how we'd kinda die a little inside, though, despite loving some things about the place. Might be we'll end up there anyway, in time.

BacP in the times we live in it may be a good idea to think of power in numbers although we may like to think we could survive alone that is not loooking promising now,but then guess being in numbers may be considered a threat to the PTB so don't know really.
Remember his movie a few years ago? The trailer is not good,but the movie was ok.

depends who is in the "numbers" you refer to, if its some you could trust thats one thing, but if its just The Masses in general then trust no one.
I'd rather be on my own than with people I dont trust.

depends who is in the "numbers" you refer to, if its some you could trust thats one thing, but if its just The Masses in general then trust no one.
I'd rather be on my own than with people I dont trust.

Thats right but in some n-hoods your not on your own,so its back to if the others want to presserve their resources and lives then its best to know who your dealing with.
Also lets not forget the old wise saying " keep your friends close and your enemy's closer". Most conservatives today are WOKE and will bend over backwards to prove they are tolerant and will side with the some who only have their and their trubes best interest which is good if they also respect your 'tribe' too. But they don't on the most part.Also many think they still live in 50s at the same time. You "can't serve two masters" so to speak.Its all circumstantial.

Latest posts

Back