Suggestions for my plan

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erin

Super Friend
Neighbor
Hello,

I’m new, but very enthusiastic about the idea of homesteading. Currently it’s not something I can pursue, but I’m planning to homestead in the future. As I said, I’m new, so some of my questions/thoughts many seem silly, but I’m trying to gather information from people with experience in this area so I can make a solid plan.

Ideally, I’d like to get a decent amount of land (10 acres or more, probably), set up a garden/farm, keep animals (chickens at the very least), use solar power for electricity, and generally be self-sustaining. I’m hoping to do this with a group of friends, and one person suggested that I’d need at least five other people to pull this off. We could live in a large house or have separate dwellings – tiny homes, perhaps. I don’t need to be totally cut off from society or anything; I’m hoping keep a job outside of the homestead and I’d like to be able to go out and visit friends, take day trips, etc., but I want all the basics to be produced at home. Obviously, this is all very hypothetical at the moment, and it would take a while to build up to that point.

My main questions are:
How many people would this take? I don’t have a definite upward limit, because if all the current members liked someone and they wanted to join it should be doable, but I want an idea of the minimum number of people I need to pull this off. From what I’ve seen, most people homestead with a spouse and children, but seeing as I don’t have either (and currently have no plans for either) I’d like to homestead with friends/other like-minded people.
Are there any serious flaws/obvious issues with my plan? It’s a little bit crazy for me to picture all that happening, but I think it should be manageable with the right planning. However, I’m not remotely experienced, so there might be problems that I can’t see.
Any feedback would be super helpful! I’m really interested in all this but I’m still a novice, so input from y’all would be great. Thanks!

~Erin

Welcome to the forum. I currently live on ten acres with my hunny and we are the only ones who tend it so it is possible for just a couple, Hunny is retired and I currently work about 30 hours a week so part time but it should be more like 16 hrs a week, at least that is what I signed up for. We have cows, chickens and pigs (hunny takes care of). We also have goats and a big garden for us (150ftx50ft) that I take care of along with the processing of all, except the cows that we take in to process.

First off who will be your neighbors and what kind of land or living restrictions would resteict this kind of community aka communal living.
Also being single may also limit couples involvement.
Seems like the only possibility wwould be a shared larger home in most areas.
What state do you plan to be in?

@Erin, if you have livestock, you are responsible in the long run. You may be able to ask a friend to tend to them a couple days while you want a weekend away but it is harder to get the bigger the animal is. A lot of people get intimidated which is understandable. We have an old cow hand as a neighbor who can fill in in an emergency situation but he is planning on moving soon which means I am SOL. Cows can be very intimidating, especially when they want to head butt you along because they think you are not hurrying up enough at feeding, Goats are not so bad unless they are in rutting season. . . It can be just down right dangerous. Normally I let my grandkids run with the goats, but in rut, no way. There is so much you can do with just 10 acres, but be prepared. It is a lot of personal responsibility. You have to be out with your animals everyday for them to trust you and for new ones, that means additional time. For us I can put up the majority of what we eat and from the stores only buy the basics of flour, sugar, etc. Hunny does like his potato chips and I will say we can not harvest enough of those for the year

Not trying to discourage you at all, just trying to kelp you not mkae same mistakes we have made. Resreictions can be a real hassle.
There are communes who seem to live fine together. Years ago we even thought of that kind of situation but feared dictatorships,lol.
Can you watch videos?

Start slow and small. If you have others, personalities WILL clash. I don't care if you have known someone your whole life, you will clash. I have a friend that I met in 5th grade over 40 years ago, we have thought about going into business together and even sharing a house.

We have come to the conclusion that even though we are best friends we would kill each other. I would lay down my life for this man and he would for me but we could never live or go into business together. He is that friend that would be in the cell with me, we are that close.

Just something to think about.

It's probably feasible as you put it , may depend on your age and health and who you get for partners in it.You would have to check on restrictions on property and background of people you get to go into it with you.
Research your plans of the types of animals and plants you need and tools to work with.Here they have different types of restrictions on certain things you can do.
Any way, hope it works for you and good luck.👍

Advance planning can be the most important thing that contributes to overall success, & longevity of any enterprise. Keeping expectations as low as possible will preempt conflicts, and minimize the ones that do happen. If you expect too much out of each other it will not end well for anyone.

And above all, decide in advance who gets to be Gilligan, and who The Skipper is going to be.

Hello,

I’m new, but very enthusiastic about the idea of homesteading. Currently it’s not something I can pursue, but I’m planning to homestead in the future. As I said, I’m new, so some of my questions/thoughts many seem silly, but I’m trying to gather information from people with experience in this area so I can make a solid plan.

Ideally, I’d like to get a decent amount of land (10 acres or more, probably), set up a garden/farm, keep animals (chickens at the very least), use solar power for electricity, and generally be self-sustaining. I’m hoping to do this with a group of friends, and one person suggested that I’d need at least five other people to pull this off. We could live in a large house or have separate dwellings – tiny homes, perhaps. I don’t need to be totally cut off from society or anything; I’m hoping keep a job outside of the homestead and I’d like to be able to go out and visit friends, take day trips, etc., but I want all the basics to be produced at home. Obviously, this is all very hypothetical at the moment, and it would take a while to build up to that point.

My main questions are:
How many people would this take? I don’t have a definite upward limit, because if all the current members liked someone and they wanted to join it should be doable, but I want an idea of the minimum number of people I need to pull this off. From what I’ve seen, most people homestead with a spouse and children, but seeing as I don’t have either (and currently have no plans for either) I’d like to homestead with friends/other like-minded people.
Are there any serious flaws/obvious issues with my plan? It’s a little bit crazy for me to picture all that happening, but I think it should be manageable with the right planning. However, I’m not remotely experienced, so there might be problems that I can’t see.
Any feedback would be super helpful! I’m really interested in all this but I’m still a novice, so input from y’all would be great. Thanks!

~Erin

@Erin, don't let us discourage you. We started with the worsst things first to get them out of the way.

If you get 10 acres and have water on that property, you can do a lot. 10 acres allows for a couple, or several cattle or a few goats. Plus you'll have enough space left over for a sizeable garden. If you have multiple residences on that property you'll need multiple septic systems, which adds cost and complexity. You may also need more than one well, depending on the flow rate your aquifer can provide.

If you want to be really self sufficient, you'll probably want more than one power source too. Solar is good, wind is also good, but a back up generator is always a good idea too. (You'll find that most of us on this forum are big fans of redundant systems. Not putting all your eggs in one basket is a good idea.)

Also...you'll need equipment. I'd need more info to say what your needs would actually be, but I'm guessing a small tractor, a few implements, and a half ton pickup truck would be necessities...

I know this all sounds like a lot, but it doesn't have to happen all at once. Good luck, and keep us posted about what you're planning!

Yeah, all this is dependent on whatever land I actually end up with.

I’m fine with couples (although that’d probably be in a larger group, not if it was just them and me), but I don’t want new couples agreeing to the plan and then leaving because they break up, so any couples or families would need to be better well established. Although that’s generally true, I wouldn’t want anyone who might leave because of a small disagreement. If people agree to be part of this, it would be a serious commitment.

I’m not sure how big the animals will be, but that’s good advice. I’m fond of taking occasional vacations, but that would be very very hard with the sort of system I want. Would it be feasible for each person to have, say, one or two weeks of “vacation time” from the homestead?

Thank you for the videos, I’ll check them out when I have the chance! Right now I’m thinking that if it was a small group (maybe 4 people) we could work together, but if it got larger (20 people, hypothetically) then we would probably divide into smaller groups that each have a specific plot of land.

Cnsper, how would you recommend getting around that problem? I don’t particularly want to do this on my own, so I figure either I have to make it more of a business partnership or find friends I can stand for a long time.

Thank you all so much for the feedback! Yeah, as I get closer to this I’m going to have to get a lot more detailed with my plans. Don’t worry about pointing out negatives, that’s exactly what I’m looking for – brutal honesty is the best way for me to figure this out.

Solar seems like a good idea, but a generator would definitely be needed, especially for winter. What sort of plants and animals would y’all recommend at the minimum? Anything that’s not worth the trouble, or anything that I should definitely include?

Welcome. A minimum of one but a partner would be nice. As mentioned previously the more people involved the more complicated the situation becomes.

The problem with a tiny house is the lack of space. You barely have room to turn around let alone store food, spare everything, and plenty of tools. A tiny home would be a viable way to start and then turn it into a guest house or possibly rent it out for an income source. I have a SMALL 3 bedroom house and 5 years later I am still creating new storage space.

Look through the old posts for tons of ideas and ask any questions as they come up, we love to help out.

My wife and I started planning 40 years ago BEFORE we were married and then life got in the way. Kids, jobs, taxes, problems of all sort. We started out in a one bedroom garage apartment next to a bar. Was able to land contract a trailer on 10 acres @a good price...in a flood plain. @ one point were surrounded by water and I carried our 5 year old out to stay with a neighbor.
Current place we bought was a disaster buy from a guy I worked with. Without going into a lot of detail we turned a low quality piece of two acres into a quarter of a million dollar property incorporating our dreams of 40 years and thinking out of the box
Wood pallets that we got for free are being turned into walls and furniture. I put wheels on them and place my plants on the pallets for my greenhouse. Able to move the planters around for the best possible light affect and to sweep the floor as necessary.
Look at free discards as something to incorporate into your home. Read, read, read can't be stressed! John Seymour's "Self Sufficient Life and how to live it as well as square foot gardening must have a permeant place on your shelf. Because weather is unpredictable an attached greenhouse is a must.
Sam

I like my privacy way to much to share 10 acres with that many people. I'd rather mechanize with a tractor to complete tasks that would normally take several people.

I like your thinking, but I have several rules that would stand in my way of doing what you plan.

1) don't do business with friends, it seldom works out
2) Don't loan money, tools, or gear; it may never come back (or not in a usable condition): Same for borrowing...
3) Don't let strangers in my house, no company for more than 2 days, and don't overstay my welcome at others homes...
4) In most cases people are more talk than do, don't be dependent on anyone if you don't want to be let down...

But this is my cynical view of the world; you may be able to make it work. I just don't have the trust it would take to make it work for me

1. it is possible to do something on your own. Everyone saying you need help is thinking about doing what they do now. You would be providing for 1 person. Dick Proenneke

2. Cows do not need to be fed every day. They eat grass and 10 acres is plenty. Especially if you did like we did and never had more than 3 at one time on 6 acres. You could be gone for a week.

3. Automatic feeders for chickens

4. Automatic float valves for water troughs.

All you really need for vacations is someone to check on things. That could be every other day.

You know if it is just a labor issue, do all you can yourself and then go to HD and hire one or two of those rocket scientists hanging out in the parking lot. Work them hard, feed them (Mc Ds), pay them, and leave them where you found them...

Note, don't leave anything exposed that would tempt them, some rocket scientists steal

I see others have cautioned you about your plan. Listen to them.
Farmers take vacations in the winter when there is less work to do. Often a neighbor will help out by taking care of livestock and such. We do that for our rancher neighbors.
As for 10 acres being enough land, no one can answer that unless they know where that land is. In the dry west, 10 acres could maybe feed one small goat or a small herd of cattle if it was irrigated.
I do not see a tiny house working out well but I'm sure it would be possible. On a homestead you need some stuff. Especially if it is in an area that has real winters. You would need work boots, mud boots, and winter boots and it is best to have two pair of each. Plus you might want a pair of shoes. Just footwear takes up room.

Some have tried that sort of endeavor. Most that I've heard about have a few pitfalls.
One, how committed is everyone?
What if Person A decides she's the one in charge and only 2 are okay with that and 2 others, maybe even 2 other couples, are not okay with that after seeing it in action for 90 days?
Person B decides they have lost enough money and have to bail out.
Person C loses other income.
Person A has an affair with Person D and everybody bails out.
One particular person is always stuck doing the one thing no one else will do.
Maturity level.
Experience.
Financial resources.
Responsibility.
Honesty.
Respect.

Hello,

My main questions are:

~Erin

Here is a review of a example organization common to some of the better retreats.

One guy owns the property the rest come only at SHTF.
The "business model" so to speak, is that its not practical for everyone to live at the retreat.. too many folks have good jobs in the city,...
But those folks must preposition the following:

a)1 Years minimum supply food for everyone in their family, that will come SHTF. Probably the most critical criterium
b)1 years supply of sundries such as, toothbrushes, toothpaste, dental floss, soap, spare underwear, t shirts, work boots, combat boots, shampoo, feminine hygiene for the fems, etc etc etc
c)1 tactical rifle for every adult and teenage male, (optional additionally, 1 handgun for every adult and teenage male), each rifle supplied with a minimum of 12 magazines and a couple thousand rounds of rifle ammo (pistol ammo can be much less since its non tactical ammo, same goes for mags). Combat boots, Chest rig or battle belt to support proper employment of said rifle.. Some can bring tactical rifles for women too.

- Doctors and dentists are exempt from requirement c) (though its still recommended)

1)The head of household living at the retreat is called "the principal".

This is not related to school, :) but to military contractor speak of the senior civilian in a location.

His job is to maintain the retreat in good condition and provide enough berthing space for everyone with all their families.
(since it will be SHTF and not vacation when people come.. doing this via shed space, garage space or even tentage is acceptable, you are looking to provide a livable space not the lap of luxury)
To maintain , monitor and protect from vermin, the members pre positioned food supply and the clothing supply, the sundries supply, etc
To engage in some non trivial form of agriculture on site.
To maintain inventory
To provide at least some temporary alternate form of electrical generation and to store the spare fuel and rotate it as needed, to keep it fresh.

This is no small job, requires a greater degree of personal money invested and this is why he is a "primus inter pares", ie the Senior decision maker before and during SHTF about the affairs of the retreat.

2)The most well trained at the art of violence, is called the "Sergeant-at-Arms". Invariably this is an ex-military man (preferably ground forces, Army or USMC or USAF Security forces background) of some rank (NCO or Officer)
Pre-SHTF its his responsibility is to train the fire team and develop any site specific tactical SOPs, as far as they are distinct from applicable military SOPs.
In my experience most SaA will standardize, loadouts, etc along common light infantry lines.
During SHTF he assumes tactical Control of the Riflemen that the retreat is capable of fielding during contingencies.
Pre SHTF it is also his obligation to keep himself fit, regardless of his age and to keep up his shooting abilities.

Not everyone who has been in the military is competent to fill this position just from having been in the military. I met a former marine Corporal who fills that approximate position with another group and the guy does not have the anywhere near the mental acuity or flexibility necessary to fill this position as a SHTF SaA.

Use common sense, Ex-Combat Arms of some rank, NCO (preferably Staff Sergeant or above) or Officer.... dont just anoint any ex orderly room Clerk, Spec-4 that wants to participate.
In a pinch if the only ex mil you have, is a E3/E4 after one 3 year tour,... he can do it as a placeholder but let him understand as your group grows he will likely be replaced by someone with a bit more seniority as you gain more "boots on the ground".
Some of the better cops are also acceptable.

This is an important position, probably the second most important after the principal and is appointed by the Principal (or a vote among senior retreat members, whichever way you guys want to do it)

3) The Armorer maintains the arms room and its contents. It is his responsibility pre SHTF, to maintain a good and complete armorers tool kit and spare gun parts, keep it pre positioned at the retreat and be able to, as a minimum, fix all common malfunctions experienced by the tactical rifles, that the retreat is standardized on.
He also ensures the retreats ammo and pre positioned weapons are stored properly.
Most retreats are standardized on AR, but a minority are on AK.. I know of a couple of retreats that were standardized on FN FAL or PTR91 (and other G3 clones). But these days ARs are the most common.

The Armorer and the Sergeant at Arms can be expected to work closely together.. so don't appoint folks into those 2 slots that dont like each other.

4) Communications Chief: Expert with Radios, maintains the radios for the group. programs the channels and creates the call signs list and any code-speak.. also may provide IT support to group members.

5) Medic: this can be any level of medical expertise the group may get. From EMT, over paramedic , Nurse to actual medical doctor. Whichever you can get.. this is often a hard skill to fill.

6) Senior Gardener/ Farmer (this is often the Principals wife or the principal himself). Duties are self explanatory.

7) Carpenter..

Other skills sets such as plumber, electrical etc are of course desirable... but IMO, as a minimum, positions 1-6 ought to be filled. Some positions can be filled by the same individual, for example Sergeant at Arms and , Armorer could be the same individual.

And not all retreats will have all positions filled.
I currently fill 2 out of these positions at my location.. but if someone more competent comes along I will gladly give either, or both of them, up.

Its not about Ego but about being counted, when and where it matters.

As for total numbers.. the more the better, as you can provide berthing..... for as long as everyone pre positions that year of food.
Why prepositon a year of food at whats essentially a small farm?

Because during SHTF agriculture will likely not be possible for a yea,r as hordes of starving people are flooding out of the cities and who can be expected to ambush any farm workers and eat any animals you may want to have pull your plow..... or attack you for your tractors gas or Diesel..

After that first year you can expect all the unprepared to have died off and then things will get back to "normal" (a 19th century pastoral normal at greatly reduced population levels most likely)

The goal has to be enough adults in your retreat that you can cycle one armed person minimum, as night guard every night.. and still get the days work done..
Otherwise everyone may "wake up" with their throats slit.. (everyone of course except the young women that is) and the retreat will have changed hands..

So if you dont have solid security you will be just someone else's free grocery store..
So its both about food security and classical security.

Last edited:
PS: An addition:

Pick folks that are both nice and reasonably intelligent.. egoists trying to bark at others.. families with crazy wives or men that are jerks.. are a non starter and will destroy a group.. try to avoid bad picks!
My group has already uninvited one guy even though he would be a very good fighter SHTF.
He was always dissatisfied kept assuming authorities that werent his etc etc..

You want to keep the "uninvited " list as short as possible.. because these are folks who know where you are and there is a danger they may show up SHTF family in town and beg to be let in.
And what do you do then?
Say yes and endanger the peace in your group.. and now have to stretch your supplies further? Or say no and let a competent fighter who is well armed, desperate to feed his family and knows your retreat ,... stewing with resentment outside your gate?

Last edited:
PS2: This simply cannot be done by a lone wolf or a single family unit.. You need enough boots on the ground to maintain 24/7 security even during high work load times ( fences, agriculture etc)
If you cant provide security for your animals and food stuffs you will simply be a grocery store for others.. no matter how good you think your "OPSEC" is..
Pre SHTF people also ought to agree on their respective roles as outlined above. The Retreat Principal does not need to be a dictator but since he created the retreat he must be allowed to have the final say (if necessary after consulting the senior group members.)

Many folks will fill by necessity multiple roles.

For example our carpenter is also a fire team member etc (and he is quite good at both)

With the principle of labor division just as an example even taking in an elderly couple can be useful.. the man may not be able to properly prosecute a moving firefight, or do heavy farm labor..... the lady may not be able to gather berries or harvest veggies all day in the heat... or carry water.. but they could both stay up all night every night, serving as armed security.. being freed from other labors... to ensure full wakefullness at night.

I know several working retreats that function by the principles I outlined in the posts above.

Last edited:
PS3:
Dont worry about getting too many folks even if your retreat is not large..
As long as you can house them (even if in tents in a pinch) and feed them from their prepostioned stores its all good.
SHTF will see a big die off even among neighboring farms..
After a year there can be expected to be plenty of fallow land nearby that can be worked if you have the manpower to do it.

Last edited:
I know of one situation like you describe. He owns the land and is the undisputed leader. You provide a building twice the size required to store your goods. He gets to use the other half of the building. The building is agreed upon prior to construction. This is your residence in a SHTF situation. You may take your goods and leave anytime but the building stays.

While I saved my money I'd start building skills. One thing I did is, I volunteered at a local fire department as an EMT. Learn how to build, and fix, and cook, and, and, and... The more you know the better. Most of all enjoy yourself.

I know of one situation like you describe. He owns the land and is the undisputed leader. You provide a building twice the size required to store your goods. He gets to use the other half of the building. The building is agreed upon prior to construction. This is your residence in a SHTF situation. You may take your goods and leave anytime but the building stays.

While I saved my money I'd start building skills. One thing I did is, I volunteered at a local fire department as an EMT. Learn how to build, and fix, and cook, and, and, and... The more you know the better. Most of all enjoy yourself.

Our situation is a bit easier I think.

Our principal provides all buildings none of us invest a single dollar into it..
Since its on his property he builds..

Right now we can fit everyone into buildings even if just log cabins... but there is some tentage just in case..

We do provide ourselves our skills, (and our food deposit to feed ourselves and our guns/ammo).
He is a very reasonable guy and easy going and has never once put his foot down on any issue.

Its usually between him, myself and a 3rd guy as senior members who make decisions but of course his is the final call.
But we have yet to have a case were we dont all agree..
This is not Lord of the Flies.

But we are pretty generous on how much time folks have to build up their deposit of food and ammo.
Usually we give a year.. some have taken 2..

Because we all understand boots-on-the-ground is the most critical.

Our situation is a bit easier I think.

Our principal provides all buildings none of us invest a single dollar into it..
Since its on his property he builds..

Right now we can fit everyone into buildings even if just log cabins... but there is some tentage just in case..

We do provide ourselves our skills, (and our food deposit to feed ourselves and our guns/ammo).
He is a very reasonable guy and easy going and has never once put his foot down on any issue.

Its usually between him, myself and a 3rd guy as senior members who make decisions but of course his is the final call.
But we have yet to have a case were we dont all agree..
This is not Lord of the Flies.

But we are pretty generous on how much time folks have to build up their deposit of food and ammo.
Usually we give a year.. some have taken 2..

Because we all understand boots-on-the-ground is the most critical.

What happened to our special forces,do you ever hear of any of them?
Which are North,Sourh,East Ot West do you consider safest?

What happened to our special forces,do you ever hear of any of them?
Which are North,Sourh,East Ot West do you consider safest?
I am sorry I do not fully understand this post.. :dancing:

Latest posts

Back