Suggestions to keep newly-disked firebreak clear

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorman

Friend
Neighbor
I hired the GDF crew to put about a half-mile of firebreak in on my property. They cleared it good and now it down to a dirt surface.
I am hoping to learn the least expensive and most practical way to maintain it (other than hiring them out every year to re-disk).
One option is to buy a used compact tractor and brush hog to mow both it and my lot but that means storing the tractor and it's upkeep.
I've also wondered if spraying a herbicide is practical to prevent any regrowth. I'm looking for other options to consider.

There used to be a product called "tri-ox" that sterilized the soil for a year but that name is no longer used. The product is still available but I don't know what name it goes by. It is a dry mix that is applied with a spreader and then watered to get it into the soil. It prevents plant growth.

Pramitol will do what you want, but you need to be exceedingly cautious with it. Nothing will grow for several years and it can be carried downhill by runoff.
If that is the stuff they spray on the sides of railroad beds (whatever that stuff is) it definitely works!
I know the stuff is out there, wish I could get my hands on some of it.
Before the environmental nazis descend on us, back in the old days we used to pour out a mix of drained engine oil and diesel fuel. :oops:
Nothing grew there for years alright. :thumbs: gaah
We don't do that anymore.
Whatever the railroad uses is far better.

@Supervisor42 the stuff we use on the Union Pacific railroad only lasts a year but you're right, it kills everything except the trees. I don't know what it is, because the railroad contracts that work out to somebody. The guy who sprayed in Iowa came all the way from Virginia and would be in the Midwest all summer...

Pramitol is supposed to kill everything for 7 years. Some farmer's use it around their buildings. I've seen it leach out into people's yards and leave dead patches in the grass...

OP, I know you didn't want to get a mower, but this is how I maintain my firebreak that I cut out of the forest around my place. The abundant critters that thrive in the area probably appreciate the lack of chemicals.

I hired the GDF crew to put about a half-mile of firebreak in on my property. They cleared it good and now it down to a dirt surface.
I am hoping to learn the least expensive and most practical way to maintain it (other than hiring them out every year to re-disk).
One option is to buy a used compact tractor and brush hog to mow both it and my lot but that means storing the tractor and it's upkeep.
I've also wondered if spraying a herbicide is practical to prevent any regrowth. I'm looking for other options to consider.
Funny most went directly to chemicals. My first thought was get ahold of the extension service to see if anyone had goats that could graze it on a semi regular basis - would clear your weeds and save them feed.

Funny most went directly to chemicals. My first thought was get ahold of the extension service to see if anyone had goats that could graze it on a semi regular basis - would clear your weeds and save them feed.
If you want to fence it that would be a great option. Or you could stake them on a lead, but they'd probably be coyote food by morning. But they'd eat it down to bare dirt pretty fast...

OP, I know you didn't want to get a mower, but this is how I maintain my firebreak that I cut out of the forest around my place. The abundant critters that thrive in the area probably appreciate the lack of chemicals.

I have thought a little about an old used but excellent condition mower. Some youtube videos show old Ford tracors pulling bush hogs. Is this what you had in mind? I do plan on getting a shipping container so could store it to protect it.

How about planting a low crop, high protein attractant, like clover? Probably 4 blinds.
If the game doesn't keep it low enough then a mower.
A bee hive would go well with this idea.

Last edited:
Back