Sunflower hearts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be alright if you're starving! Looked like there was a lot of waste, I think I'd eat all that if it was tender enough. Do you know what the nutritional content is, @joel ?
No, it is a sub for artichoke flower heads, the whole sunflower plant is edible. I would think sun chokes would be another sunflower that would keep you fat & happy. I do agree that cutting up the whole cooked head to eat would be best, but the sub for artichoke is lost if you eat the whole head.
I only use artichoke hearths in a dip, they cost a lot & I may use them more if I grew them.

Last edited:
This is close.
Here’s the nutrition breakdown for one package (50 grams) of plain, salted sunflower seed kernels.
Calories: 288
  • Protein: 9.55 grams (g)
  • Fat: 24.6 g
  • Carbs: 11.9 g
  • Fiber: 5.5 g
  • Vitamin E: 12.0 milligrams (mg)
  • Vitamin B6: 0.397 mg
  • Magnesium: 63.5 mg
  • Phosphorus: 570 mg
  • Zinc: 2.62 mg
  • Copper: 0.904 mg
  • Folate: 117 micrograms (mcg)
  • Selenium: 39.2 mcg

That's good! Do you know what the nutritional difference is between raw sunflower seeds and roasted? I used to eat them raw and prefer unsalted when eating roasted.

Thank you, Joel. I wonder if this would work for wild sunflowers. I believe the day is coming when foraging for food will be important, and this is good for summer. I've tried many times to grow sunflowers with zero luck. I've read that they do not transplant well. I think I'm going to start some in pots this year. A client of mine had some really nice ones in a pot last year. Their roots are not too deep.

That's good! Do you know what the nutritional difference is between raw sunflower seeds and roasted? I used to eat them raw and prefer unsalted when eating roasted.
Most, but not all plant are more nutritional raw, mushroom are better for you cooked.
Then there are the "other Plants", the ones that are good cooked, but will harm or kill you when raw, like Indian turnip or Arisaema triphyllum, the jack-in-the-pulpit.

Thank you, Joel. I wonder if this would work for wild sunflowers. I believe the day is coming when foraging for food will be important, and this is good for summer. I've tried many times to grow sunflowers with zero luck. I've read that they do not transplant well. I think I'm going to start some in pots this year. A client of mine had some really nice ones in a pot last year. Their roots are not too deep.
Lowes, here has big red pots for $10.00, that would work for 48 inch sunflowers. I use 15 gallon pot made from cutting drums in half.

I am all for foraging wild plant in the fields & forest, BUT I think if you believe that the day is coming when you will need to "live off the land", then you should invest in perennial vegetable now & flowering plants that you think are pretty & you can eat if you need to, like daylilies & sunflowers.
Why wonder the woods & get shot by an amateur hunter who thought you were a deer. When you can stay safe at home & harvest those plants you control on your land, 0.50 acres is a big plot if you plant it well. No one needs to know you are eating flowers, like Yucca blooms & red buds.

Last edited:
I wish I'd known this last year. I had sunflowers coming up everywhere in the chicken run. And they all got chopped up and into the compost. Now watch, this year I'll want them to grow abundantly and probably can't get a one......just because I want them now

I have a couple of artichoke plants. We love the leaves dipped in butter, and same with the hearts. Goooooood stuff.

From my understanding, growing sunflowers can be a bit tricky in the garden and only certain plants can be grown near them as their roots give off 'something' that other plants don't like.

I am all for foraging wild plant in the fields & forest, BUT I think if you believe that the day is coming when you will need to "live off the land", then you should invest in perennial vegetable now & flowering plants that you think are pretty & you can eat if you need to, like daylilies & sunflowers.
Why wonder the woods & get shot by an amateur hunter who thought you were a deer. When you can stay safe at home & harvest those plants you control on your land, 0.50 acres is a big plot if you plant it well. No one needs to know you are eating flowers, like Yucca blooms & red buds.
I think we need more information about this, maybe even a thread about how to get oil from your plants in your garden and what to plant for oil. I have often thought of sunflowers for oil. Work, yes, lots of work, but oh so necessary if it all goes south.

I think we need more information about this, maybe even a thread about how to get oil from your plants in your garden and what to plant for oil. I have often thought of sunflowers for oil. Work, yes, lots of work, but oh so necessary if it all goes south.

Good point about expanding on the oil idea.

As for sunflowers for oil, my understanding is that Black Oil Sunflower Seeds or BOSS, is the better variety for oil, than the gray striped that we eat as roasted snacks.

Once upon a time I found a good black seed variety but can't really remember the name of it now. I think it was Russian Mammoth?? Or something like that.. I have since tried to find more seed, but it's near impossible now.

I'm not sure that the black seeds sold in bird feed mixes is the right kind for the better oil option, but it is something if need be........and I think it was those that grew so prolific last year. Not just one stalk, but they had several branches all with flower heads too.

Oh, and I think there are 'oil extractors'(?) or whatever kind of machine available to purchase if you wanted to do that.

I have lots of oils, shortening, lard stored, but also keep back the fats cooked (rendered) from meats as well. Plus many of my canned meats or broths all have a layer of fat in the jars.

Good point about expanding on the oil idea.

As for sunflowers for oil, my understanding is that Black Oil Sunflower Seeds or BOSS, is the better variety for oil, than the gray striped that we eat as roasted snacks.

Once upon a time I found a good black seed variety but can't really remember the name of it now. I think it was Russian Mammoth?? Or something like that.. I have since tried to find more seed, but it's near impossible now.

I'm not sure that the black seeds sold in bird feed mixes is the right kind for the better oil option, but it is something if need be........and I think it was those that grew so prolific last year. Not just one stalk, but they had several branches all with flower heads too.

Oh, and I think there are 'oil extractors'(?) or whatever kind of machine available to purchase if you wanted to do that.

I have lots of oils, shortening, lard stored, but also keep back the fats cooked (rendered) from meats as well. Plus many of my canned meats or broths all have a layer of fat in the jars.
I think you are right about the black seeds. A few years ago I did lots of reading about this.
And yes, oil extractors would be necessary. I remember that they are not cheap, maybe a $100 - $200.

I save bacon grease and have various fats stored as well.

Many rabbits are very low in fat but especially wild rabbits. i think the term was "rabbit starvation" you could eat lots of very lean meat and yet without the fats or oils you would starve anyway. There are stories about eastern montana during the first great depression when people only had rabbits to eat.
I raised & butcherer rabbits & never heard this, I thought Caribou meant you needed oil for cooking rabbit.
That why I ask, thanks.

I raised & butcherer rabbits & never heard this, I thought Caribou meant you needed oil for cooking rabbit.
That why I ask, thanks.

Nope, its because rabbits are so lean and your brain needs fat to function properly. Most of the fat rabbits do have is around the organs and not in the meat so it doesn't get eaten.

The body needs protein (rabbit is good for that), fat/oil for the nervous system, a secondary energy source and other stuff, and carbs for fuel. this is over simplified but it covers the basics. Rabbit starvation comes from the fact that you only get protein from them. As long as you get a well balanced diet to go along with the rabbit you are golden.

There are a number of diet diseases. Scurvy is caused from a lack of vitamin C. Scurvy was a feared disease on long voyages. British ships started carrying limes to fight scurvy.

Things You'll Need
  • Hemp seed

• Oil press
  • Large plastic container
  • Small plastic container
  • Glass jar with lid

How to Make Your Own Hazelnut Oil

By Meg Butler
Things You'll Need

OIL PRESSING, HOW DOES IT WORK?
The technique is in the title, an oil extractor uses a screw to press the nuts or seeds through a barrel. This then creates friction and pressure on the ingredients to release its oil, without the need to use chemicals or excessive heat. The pulp is then dispersed separately whilst the oil drips into a container. This results in a pure clean oil that has a much deeper flavour.

WHAT OILS CAN YOU MAKE
  • Flaxseeds
  • Sesame seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Rapeseeds
  • Primrose seeds
  • Hemp seeds
  • Black cumin
  • Poppy seeds
  • Coconut Shreds
  • Almonds
  • Walnuts
  • Hazelnuts
  • Peanuts
  • Pistachios
  • Cashew nuts
With the variety of nuts and seeds you can use in an oil extractor, you will be able to make a whole load of tasty foods.

• Salad Dressings
  • Marinades
  • Cakes
  • Bread
  • Dips
  • Pesto
  • Seasoning for steamed vegetables or fish

Rabbits & poultry should give you all the oil you will need to live.
Pigs & or goats/lambs will give you more oil/lard then anyone will need.
Grape seeds, walnuts, peanuts, cotton & corn can be used for oil.

That was a really awesome video. We grow black oil sunflowers for chicken feed but I've been attempting to make oil. The last few years the chickens have gotten to them before I could do anything oil related. And last year the deer kept eating my sunflowers, so I can't speak for the oil process yet, but I'm working on it.

We just buy the 40lb bag of sunflower seeds from Tractor Supply in the bird/poultry area. They grow. And it's the most economical way to get the seeds. I should probably buy another bag or two.

Eating the sunflower heads as artichoke hearts would be a great way to deal with the small heads that won't produce enough seeds to bother with. I got disappointed last year because of the deer eating mine. They did grow back but instead of one big head, I had all these tiny heads, but they didn't really produce worthwhile seeds so it seemed like the whole adventure was a waste. The good heads went straight to the chickens.

Latest posts

Back