Sunflowers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There have been a few recent posts about sunflowers. I decided they needed their own thread. I'll start it off with this question. Would it be reasonable to replace corn with sunflowers in the three sisters. I can't grow enough corn to make it worthwhile but the area I could dedicate to sunflowers would produce all the seeds I'd use.

How would you use sunflowers? Shell and eat? Would you grow the type that you could potentially extract oil from?
I was unaware that there was a different kind for oil extraction. Yes, a source of oil would be one use. Speaking of which, how do you extract oil from sunflower seeds?

I was unaware that there was a different kind for oil extraction. Yes, a source of oil would be one use. Speaking of which, how do you extract oil from sunflower seeds?
Good question! I know there are special devices for it. I've seen them online. I've never been successful at raising sunflowers to have enough to extract oil.

(This is a little annoying, imho)

I have seen the Expeller press on other videos, it is cold press & leave some oil behind, but is healthier than the heat/hot oil press.
As the sunflowers, not only can the stalks of sunflower be used instead of corn, they can be stored & used in the spring, before new sunflowers are big enough to hold up vines. The stalks can be used for winter/ green peas also. They can be burned as kindling in the stove, shredded as mulch for the garden. Used in a school play of Robin of the Hood &
Little John pole fight at the stream. As shepherds staff in Christmas play.

Latest posts

Back