Superior, they said, never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is ever in Da UP, Whitefish Point has a nice museum to visit. With more than 200 shipwrecks lying in the immediate vicinity, the area is known as Lake Superior’s Shipwreck Coast.

When I visited Ashland, WI, and took a walking tour before spending the night, I saw a signboard for a wreck right there offshore... there was an old railway pier which stuck far out into Lake Superior, and some other piers which were nothing but rotting pilings by this time. I liked Ashland, it's a nice little lakeside town, and the impressive Hotel Chequamegon was like a 'Hall of History' with a primo deck or terrace to watch the sunset! :cool:

P.S. I've been listening to that Gordon Lightfoot tune for about half a century now, lol... as a lifelong small craft sailor who hails from a nautical military family, I never grow tired of it! ;)

If anyone is ever in Da UP, Whitefish Point has a nice museum to visit. With more than 200 shipwrecks lying in the immediate vicinity, the area is known as Lake Superior’s Shipwreck Coast.
I've been to the museum. It is very nice tribute to all the lost sailors.

Wingnut, I think we talked about Ashland and the hotel before. That was a very cool little town

On this date in 1975, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald was lost with all hands (29 souls) in a storm on Lake Superior. Less we forget.....

I have always loved that song and I hesitated to listen to it because it will be stuck in my brain every day for 2 weeks ☹️.
I caved.
Still love it. :)
Why don't we have songs anymore that tell a story:dunno:
Most everyone knows that I am a severe-weather junkie, because I have seen first-hand what Mother-Nature can do with her awesome power:oops:.
Respect.

Just watched this on another forum. Excellent.
And it reminded me that I never prayed for those who died And those who had to live their lives without the men who
On this date in 1975, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald was lost with all hands (29 souls) in a storm on Lake Superior. Less we forget.....

were lost.
So I will tonight.

I’m of the age where I clearly remember the event, and of course the song. My heart hurts every time I hear that song.

I remember where I was when this happened, I was at the drive in with the family waiting on the movie to start.

Beautiful song, really moving!

I was 7 when this happened. I remember very little about it but having grown up in Michigan, and loving the song, I have much respect for the memory of the loss. Every year I share it on social media and mention it to those around me. It is a little know tragedy to most of the world but I do my part to share it whenever possible.

Every year on November 10th, the Split Rock Lighthouse, which is on the northshore of Lake Superior in Minnesota, has an event where the 29 names are read with a bell ring. After the names are read, the beacon is lighted and fog horn sounds for several hours. The lighthouse grounds is now a state park. The lighthouse is lit only once a year on November 10th.
1668175806524.png

By Circle Tour, I presume y'all mean driving round the lake? That must be a fun adventure in decent weather! How many days does it usually take? Or does it vary, depending upon how far one wants to travel each day? And what about Isle Royale Nat'l Park? Is that included in the Circle Tour? Just askin', as I've never done it, though I've driven along various stretches of lakeshore on most if not all of the Great Lakes. That Circle Tour sounds like it would be amazing, especially with a trip to Isle Royale in the agenda! :cool:

Cabin, we stayed at various hotel. Never even looked for campgrounds, so I'm no help with that, although that would be fun.
WN, We did the full circle over 2 trips due to time constraints. First year was Ashland WI up into Canada around the the Straights of Mackinaw. Next year was Ashland across the UP.
IIRC we did the first trip in 8 or 9 days. Lots of driving. I wish we had took a full 2 weeks. We went in October and left Autumn in Minnesota to winter in Nippogon up in Canada. Had nearly 2 feet of snow.
One thing I highly recommend, after you leave Thunder Bay keep plenty of food and drink on hand and gas tanks filled. Long stretches of no towns or stores. Luckily we had prepared. Its a beautiful trip.
Split Rock is worth spending time at. Lots of waterfalls off the main road. In the UP, do the cruise boat to Pictured Rocks near Munising. We did not hit Isle Royale.

The Circle Tour is about 1300 miles. So, you be the judge of how long it takes. Do you want to do a lot of sightseeing and experiencing what the route has to offer? Or, just put the pedal to the metal and do a windshield visit? I fully intend that it will take us at least two weeks, probably more.

I've been to Isle Royale when I was 16. Me and two of my buddies were hiking the Northshore. Saw a lot of moose and heard wolves. All of us got sea sick on the boat ride to the island. LOL!

The Circle Tour is about 1300 miles. So, you be the judge of how long it takes. Do you want to do a lot of sightseeing and experiencing what the route has to offer? Or, just put the pedal to the metal and do a windshield visit? I fully intend that it will take us at least two weeks, probably more.

I've been to Isle Royale when I was 16. Me and two of my buddies were hiking the Northshore. Saw a lot of moose and heard wolves. All of us got sea sick on the boat ride to the island. LOL!
2 weeks will be pushing for the whole trip. I wish we had done 2 weekend the western and Northern portion. We drove harder than we intended

Made it back to this thread, that's a good little jaunt... I'd like to take at least two weeks and camp in select locations. Plan it out first, but be ready to wing it if anything came up to alter my plans. I don't mind camping, I've been doing it all my life, and if I had an RV or even a VW Westphalia or Vanagon, something along those lines, I reckon the trip would be even easier. I know of one hand who sailed his 14' Sunfish out from the lake shore to circumnavigate Isle Royale, the voyage lasted 5 days and he camped out along the island shore as he went. I met this guy online at a sailing website, but he does a lot of videos for younger folks, his site handle is AIR or 'Adventures In Reach'---cool guy, not the world's most experienced small craft sailor but he's out there DOING IT and gaining experience, ya know? His island voyage totally reminded me of my island voyages in Baja, though this hand has better field gear aboard his boat, lol. Anyway, here's the initial segment on the voyage, I reckon the 2nd video installment will be visible to the right once ya hit this page... if not, try clicking on the AIR logo to the left under the video screen, that will probably get ya to his site, and from there you can find the sailing videos. :cool:

Isle Royale Voyage

P.S. I always suggested to this hand that he sail his Sunfish down the entire length of Baja, camping along the way... it's something that I always wanted to do aboard my Laser, another 14' sailing dinghy. Same ol' story though: when I had the money I didn't have the time, and when I had the time I didn't have the money, lol. Meh, I'll always think of that voyage as "the one that got away!" I could easily do it too, it's a fast reach & run down the west coast of the peninsula. One guy did it in a Hobie Cat, can't remember the LOA of his craft, but he must have had a grand adventure flying down the coast of Baja aboard that catamaran! What a cool adventure for AIR to share with his video audience! I respect this hand for putting everything together in videos so that other folks can learn from them... a good positive thing to do, aye? Funny that he should have videos on rappelling and other outdoor activities as well, since my friends and I were also hardcore remote campers & technical rock climbers, lol. But I'm ALL for videos like his which will help kids get off the couch and get some exercise! I'm thinking the guy has some powerful karma points in his favor for taking the time to share his adventures in such fashion! :)

Oh, yeah, this AIR hand also has other videos of camping & hiking & whatnot on Isle Royale, so in a way I feel as if I've been there, if only in a vicarious manner as an 'armchair traveler!' Hey, it beats never going at all! Lol... CHEERS! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back