Supply shortages

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There appears to be a lot of supply, but transportation is the bottleneck. They refer to the Ever Given as being one cause among several. I wasn't aware global shipping is as frail as it is. Slowing down due to a pandemic makes sense, but one might think we'd be catching up by now. It would be interesting to hear what the situations are in major ports. Are people just not showing up to work?

Source: "It's About To Get Much Worse": Supply Chains Implode As "Price Doesn’t Even Matter Anymore" | ZeroHedge

"It's About To Get Much Worse": Supply Chains Implode As "Price Doesn’t Even Matter Anymore"
TUESDAY, APR 27, 2021 - 02:15 PM
By Greg Miller, of FreightWaves,
The number of container ships stuck at anchor off Los Angeles and Long Beach is down to around 20 per day, from 30 a few months ago. Does this mean the capacity crunch in the trans-Pacific market is finally easing? Absolutely not, warned Nerijus Poskus, vice president of global ocean at freight forwarder Flexport. “It’s not getting better. It’s getting worse,” he told American Shipper in an interview on Monday.
“What I’m seeing is unprecedented. We are seeing a tsunami of freight,” he reported.

“For the month of May, everything on the trans-Pacific is basically sold out. We had one client who needed something loaded in May that was extremely urgent and who was ready to pay $15,000 per container. I couldn’t get it loaded — and we are a growing company that ships a lot of TEUs [twenty-foot equivalent units]. Price doesn’t always even matter anymore."

Restocking driving volumes higher
Poskus said that trans-Pacific import volumes are still rising. He noted that January trans-Pacific imports were up 10% versus 2019 (comparisons to 2020 numbers are skewed by COVID) and 13.5% in February, then jumped 51% in March. “So, we’re now at 1.5 times pre-pandemic levels.”
With imports far outpacing retail sales growth, he attributed volumes to inventory restocking. “The restocking is actually affecting the trade even more than growth in demand. That tells me that this will last even longer. Let’s say U.S. consumer demand slows down in Q3 and Q4. That’s not expected, but even if it does, [capacity availability and rates] shouldn’t improve quickly, simply because of the huge restocking demand.”
Poskus also believes there is a growing export backlog piling up each day in Asia, awaiting available ship slots. If that backlog grows too big, he said, "I honestly don’t know what’s going to happen." As a result of the backlog and restocking demand, he thinks "prices will remain high and shipping will probably remain difficult for the rest of this year. And then after that, you have the peak for Chinese New Year in 2022."
About to get even worse
He said that the situation today is the worst he’s witnessed — and he believes it’s about to get even more severe.
“Buckle up. The month of May will be the worst people have ever seen,” he predicted. Because some shippers will have to wait in line behind the growing backlog in Asia, he expects “what’s going to happen soon is that some importers won’t even be able to get on the boat. For them, it will almost feel like trade is coming to a halt.”
Poskus’ comments mirror cargo bookings data. FreightWaves’ SONAR platform features a proprietary index of shippers’ ocean bookings (SONAR: IOTI.USA). Bookings to the U.S. are measured in TEUs on a 10-day-moving-average basis as of the scheduled date of overseas departure. As of Monday, the index was at a new all-time high and forward bookings data showed a continued rise ahead.
(Chart: FreightWaves SONAR. To learn more about FreightWaves SONAR, click here.)Spot premiums back with vengeance
As of Friday, the Freightos Baltic Daily Index assessed the Asia-West Coast spot rate (SONAR: FBXD.CNAW) at $4,797 per forty-foot equivalent unit (FEU) and the Asia-East Coast rate (SONAR: FBXD.CNAE) at $6,306 per FEU — both near all-time highs.
(Chart: FreightWaves SONAR. To learn more about FreightWaves SONAR, click here.)
But that’s only part of the rate story. “Indexes are not bills. Premiums are not reflected in the indexes,” said Poskus. Earlier this year, some of the premium charges came down as container availability in Asia improved. That’s reversed, said Poskus, who noted that the Ever Given incident in the Suez Canal pulled container equipment from the market. “Container shortages in Asia are again very bad because of the Ever Given, and it will take another four to six weeks to come back to normal.”
The added premiums to get spot cargo loaded “are back and they’re higher than before,” he said. “They are $2,000-$3,000 above FAK [spot price] and that’s the best case.”
Spot cargo that was booked 21 days prior and was forecast within the shipper’s allocation is still getting FAK pricing on spot, he noted. However, “everything last minute is basically a free-for-all auction. You are basically offering as much money as you can and hoping somebody will take it. Many importers are now struggling. We’re seeing so many new customers approaching us asking for help because they can’t get loaded.”
Contract rates up sharply
A recent presentation by Xeneta, a company that collects contract data, showed Asia-West Coast contracts being negotiated this year at around 30%-50% higher levels than last year.
Poskus’ numbers are around double Xeneta’s. “We are seeing fixed-price increases of slightly over 100% on Asia-West Coast and about 75% on Asia-East Coast,” he said. “Also, almost every single contract rate is subject to peak season surcharges [PSSs], so the prices aren’t exactly fixed. I think the PSSs will reduce the gap between the spot and fixed market.”
Asked about shippers who have yet to conclude their annual contracts, he said, “If you want a fixed price in today’s market, the answer you’ll get from the carriers is that it’s too late. We advised many importers to sign early because the trans-Pacific contract season would close [early] because there’s more demand than supply. And that’s exactly what happened.”
There are exceptions, such as larger shippers with June-to-June contracts who began discussions with carriers earlier this year. “But if you are just a simple importer and you are yet to sign your fixed contract, you will be in the spot market,” said the Flexport vice president.
Advice to importers
Poskus offered several pieces of advice to importers scrambling to get container loads to the U.S.
He noted that carriers need reefers in the U.S. market for refrigerated exports to Asia. On the way back from Asia, these reefers are powered down and can be used as non-operating reefers (NORs) to transport dry cargo. “Believe it or not, carriers are still moving some NORs empty because importers don’t like them. This is a missed opportunity to move cargo in NORs. My advice is: Take that option. If you’re searching for the best solution in this market, you’re going to see even more delays.”
He also suggested moving cargo via less-than-container-load (LCL) shipments. “LCL is still moving. Of course, you cannot move thousands of containers LCL, but if you have something urgent, you can still get space for LCL on May sailings. Instead of waiting, break your some of your shipments down into LCL shipments and at least get some inventory,” he said.
Yet another option: Be creative with routings. For example, direct China-West Coast sailings may be sold out, but cargo can be routed from China through the Panama Canal to Cartagena, Colombia, then back through the canal to the West Coast. “It has a longer transit time but it can be loaded in the same week and it’s an option versus waiting a month and a half to get loaded [for the direct route],” he said.
“Just get your cargo to the continent of North America and from there you can get it to where it needs to go, whether it’s with NORs or LCL or transshipping [through hubs like Cartagena] or shipping it to Canada and then putting it on rail to Chicago and trucking it to New York. It will be expensive, but at least it will get there.
“You have to be flexible. Look for any routing and be creative. It’s a moving target. And don’t wait. If something opens up, act fast.”

I think you touched on something important here. Years ago (many years ago) most items were made to last and/or be repaired. Current manufacturing produces items that cannot be repaired because they want you to buy the item again. This is from things like cars down to things like a clothes iron. Now folks who have become dependent on the throw away society are getting caught.

LadyL this is so true,almost all we buynow is that way,plus they don't last 1/3 as long.

daughter got hubby a new tool box from Harbor Freight in Feb for his birthday. Never came in, he went up yesterday and the manager told him they cant get them in due to 300% tariffs on it. They are trying to get them in as something else, so the tariffs arent so high. I know we all try to buy made in the USA, but even parts for items are from over seas. I even told him, if we need something for the summer, better get it now.

Too many imports.

We went to Lowes today to get some spray paint to redo a chair. Husband was on the driving carts, and they had boxes everywhere, trying to restock. It was an obstacle course. I think there are so many jobs available and not so many interested in working them. Went to Aldi and was surprised to see all of their chunky peanut butter cleaned out. That's a first. Been waiting a month for them to restock their Skyrr yogurt, our favorite. The shelf tag is there, but no yogurt. Two end caps were completely empty. That was weird.

@bkt
I would just guess part of it has to do with companies not being able to unload the products. I've talked to few of our vendors (metal supply) that say they have trucks but no butts to put in the seats. (skill level - CDL) There is a little neighboring town that has a Subway in their grocery store. It has been closed because they can't find anyone to work. (unskilled) We currently have 2-3 openings (skilled). It's so much easier to live off the government (we who work).

@bkt
I would just guess part of it has to do with companies not being able to unload the products. I've talked to few of our vendors (metal supply) that say they have trucks but no butts to put in the seats. (skill level - CDL) There is a little neighboring town that has a Subway in their grocery store. It has been closed because they can't find anyone to work. (unskilled) We currently have 2-3 openings (skilled). It's so much easier to live off the government (we who work).

Lady, you are correct to a point. No criticism but lets look at a few things. Mind you I as well as my wife have worked the whole time pretty much during this BS. They, as in the metal company, are they willing to train? Are they willing to pay decent wages with benefits? Subway, well, sure I suppose it is "unskilled" but looking at their menu and what is needed to make this and that I am not sure I agree with unskilled. Manual labor these days seems to be classified as "unskilled" yet only some can actually do what is required. What openings do you have currently that you consider "skilled". Are you / the company willing to train, invest in your employees, provide real living wages, insurance, etc ? I fully understand what is going on. We have had a few that are dumber than a box of rocks but have a few that are darn good employees that are under paid, given zero benefits, yet are expected to provide the world.

A friend of mine planted 5 acres of those several years ago "for his children's future".
Don't worry about them cashing them in until he passes.
No worry about the government taking them either.View attachment 63805

Oh, on topic: no 12-oz Coors-light cans in the store today. Had to get Bud Lite instead (which I prefer) but it's $2 a case more. Dang aluminum shortage!View attachment 63807
This may seem strange, but when I've drank lite beers, I get more of a buzz than when I drink ice beers and ice beers have a higher alcohol content.

Lady, you are correct to a point. No criticism but lets look at a few things. Mind you I as well as my wife have worked the whole time pretty much during this BS. They, as in the metal company, are they willing to train? Are they willing to pay decent wages with benefits? Subway, well, sure I suppose it is "unskilled" but looking at their menu and what is needed to make this and that I am not sure I agree with unskilled. Manual labor these days seems to be classified as "unskilled" yet only some can actually do what is required. What openings do you have currently that you consider "skilled". Are you / the company willing to train, invest in your employees, provide real living wages, insurance, etc ? I fully understand what is going on. We have had a few that are dumber than a box of rocks but have a few that are darn good employees that are under paid, given zero benefits, yet are expected to provide the world.
Yep, they do use trains to some extent. I can't tell you what their training involves - just truck driver from point A to point B.
Unskilled to me means no experience necessary. They would of course need to be able to do the work.
As far as our own company: We pay $20-40 /hr. DOE, benes. 4/10 work week, etc. The thing they don't get is that they need to produce enough to at least be a wash to the company. Hubby has worked 90 hr weeks most of the past year to cover the wages of the employees. Training: we can teach them what to do if they are competent enough to "get it." The job requires certification. We have had numerous certified welders w/ college diploma who can't read a tape measure! We no longer hire from the college. They are certified but can't actually weld. This doesn't take into account lack of work ethic, errors (which are going to happen even to the best) and lack of willingness to learn. So far what we've encountered is folks who want to receive $20-40/hr. but don't want to earn it. We have considered trying to work out a way to pay by the job so if it takes them a week to do a 1 day job, we aren't paying 40hrs for 8-10 hrs worth of work. We have raised our prices to the point that if they go higher, we won't get the work (bid jobs) but we need able bodies to perform. It's a business, production has to be greater than expenditures.
Right now, if one is competent, has skill and good work ethic, he/she is worth a small fortune.

That’s decent pay for sure depending on your local economy of course. We have landscapers offering $19.00 per hour which is decent here. Not a whole lot of expectations other than show up and actually work. They can’t even get anyone to show up for an interview. I worked a seasonal factory job years back when I was in college. Needed to fabricate and build walkways and safety structures around machines. The first questions the employer asked was if I could read a tape measure and do calculations using basic math. He said the same as you, there were multiple applicants that couldn’t even do the basics. Thanks for the clarification.

I needed a little side money to pay for a project & found a wood shop taking applicants. He was in the next town over, so it was a drive, but i wanted training in fine woodworking, so it was wash. He told me on the phone how far away he was & that applicants would say they would make 18 mile drive & never show. He hired me because I worked with metal & could measure in thousandths & use basic measuring tools.
I found out that if I went the back way to the shop, I would travel only about eight miles from home to shop.

Last edited:
There was a comment on ‘living wage’. The company has to ‘live’ too. I know lots of people who had to work two jobs or do odd jobs to make ends meet. When pay is legislated, jobs are lost. When give-aways are available, jobs go unfilled.
A skill is just that, the ability to think and do. Making sandwiches is not a skill. You follow directions, that isn’t a skill.
We have failed in this country. We have let the ones with their hands out dictate how things work. That is failure. The third world is third because of many things, inability to think and do is a big one. Poor choices feed all the world’s problems.

There was a comment on ‘living wage’. The company has to ‘live’ too. I know lots of people who had to work two jobs or do odd jobs to make ends meet. When pay is legislated, jobs are lost. When give-aways are available, jobs go unfilled.
A skill is just that, the ability to think and do. Making sandwiches is not a skill. You follow directions, that isn’t a skill.
We have failed in this country. We have let the ones with their hands out dictate how things work. That is failure. The third world is third because of many things, inability to think and do is a big one. Poor choices feed all the world’s problems.
I wholeheartedly agree!
With both of us (together) making what is not uncommon for 1 person to make, we paid a mortgage & rent, fully funded our IRAs, and saved money. Much of what is considered "necessity" is optional. It's just a matter of priorities.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury." Alexander Fraser Tytler

And here we are.

LadyLocust said:
Stock up now if you have cans.
And if you don't have cans, go get several. Then stock up!

I read today that they are expecting fuel shortages this summer, that will start to push prices up... Not looking forward to that.
This is a fore-gone conclusion.
When the shutdowns slashed demand, the whole industry suffered.
Since I live at ground-zero of the petro business, I saw the businesses close, jobs vanish, people wander off.
Finally seeing the helicopters again going out to the offshore platforms.
clapslow.gif

But there is a whole lot of catching up to do.
And our smartest person decided to make it impossible to drill new wells. Wells don't produce forever. Think of it as a straw in a sippy-cup. You drink for a while and then you need a new full cup with a new straw.
Forget that.
So who will save us? The Arabs? Remember the last time we made them angry, they cut us off?
Our smartest man has decided that making a treaty with their arch-enemy, Iran, is a great idea. :thumbs:
If this wasn't going to be bad enough already, people are working tirelessly as we speak, to make it far worse.
Buy cans. Buy fuel... while you still can. Anybody shopped for ammo recently? Point.
*Disclaimer: Since Super plays on both sides, he owns stock in several oil companies.
Edit: Flashback, just for fun:
Gas_Stealers_Beware_1974.jpg

Last edited:
I worked in the fuel industry 1968-1981 got to live through the real interesting times, saw the invention of things like the locking gas cap. People will fight and steal to get that last drop of go-juice. Learned back then that half-full was as good as almost empty.... today I stay at 3/4s+ in everything. I also try to keep a couple of cans at the ready for mowers, blowers, and generators.

This is a fore-gone conclusion.
When the shutdowns slashed demand, the whole industry suffered.
Since I live at ground-zero of the petro business, I saw the businesses close, jobs vanish, people wander off.
Finally seeing the helicopters again going out to the offshore platforms.View attachment 64781
But there is a whole lot of catching up to do.
And our smartest person decided to make it impossible to drill new wells. Wells don't produce forever. Think of it as a straw in a sippy-cup. You drink for a while and then you need a new full cup with a new straw.
Forget that.
So who will save us? The Arabs? Remember the last time we made them angry, they cut us off?
Our smartest man has decided that making a treaty with their arch-enemy, Iran, is a great idea. :thumbs:
If this wasn't going to be bad enough already, people are working tirelessly as we speak, to make it far worse.
Buy cans. Buy fuel... while you still can. Anybody shopped for ammo recently? Point.
*Disclaimer: Since Super plays on both sides, he owns stock in several oil companies.
Edit: Flashback, just for fun:
Gas_Stealers_Beware_1974.jpg
That's an avalanche that's not gonna slow down for a while and will take out more before it's finished.

That's an avalanche that's not gonna slow down for a while and will take out more before it's finished.
The last one took 6 years to subside. :oops:
How many years do us 'old-folks' have left to spare for waiting?
Thinking.gif

How soon we forget...
Many politicians proposed gas rationing. One such proponent was Harry Hughes, Governor of Maryland, who proposed odd-even rationing (only people with an odd-numbered license plate could purchase gas on an odd-numbered day), as was used during the 1973 Oil Crisis. Several states implemented odd-even gas rationing, including California, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, and Texas.
Kind of a pain to overnight an extra day on your way home from vacation just because of the number on your license plate
brickwall100.gif
Yes, that happened.
If you think mask-mandates have you
bow.gif
, you ain't seen nuthin' yet :oops: .

Last edited:
DW found pint of 70% isopropyl Alcohol, which was $1.50, which was double the cost of prepandemic price. She found 50 pints for 0.39 each. No wanting to be a hoarder, she only got 20 pints or 2.50 gallons.

I went by the car lot where my neighbor works. We are thinking about buying 1 more new car. The last one is 20 years old with 250,000 miles on it. Anyway there were only a few cars. He said the chip shortage is stalling production. He said he heard the Ford plant had cars outside just waiting for chips. Crazy huh?

PS we are buying new because we love Toyotas and their low mileage cars are almost as much as new.

We go by a business when we go into the bigger town to go shopping, and the business sells Rangers and zero turn mowers. Had to stop in there a few weeks ago for a Ranger part for ours and was shocked to see there were none of anything in the showroom. Looked weird to just see a counter and desks. There were so few outside (4) that we thought they had closed. But if they don't get anything else in to sell, they will close. We also count tractors available on the lot when we drive by the John Deere place.

I think the chip issue and a number of other things that are crimping the supply chain are making people start to realize that domestic production has value beyond price. It makes me worry a little, wondering how these little inconveniences are going to start impacting the whole economy.

Economics says that when Demand is greater than supply price goes up, when the price goes up supply goes up and prices come down. But when everything gets stuck what happens? As places close and you can't get what you need at any price, who's going to invest in production if there is no active market?
The only thing that seems to really be selling is vaccine, but who it paying for it? I am old school and don't believe in free lunches so someone is or is about to pick up the tab.... I keep feeling that we are all about to get stuck....

I heard very similar news last night. The Chevrolet plant near here has 10,000 Tahoes sitting on their property waiting for chips. Other locations have the same problem with just as many vehicles sitting in inventory. None of this bodes well.

Latest posts

Back