Suppressor/Silencer?

Discussion in 'Long guns and Handguns' started by The Lazy L, Jan 10, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 10, 2019 #1

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor Contributor

Asking for a friend.

AR 5.56 has barrel threads of 1/2x28
    Tavor 5.56 has barrel threads of 1/2x28
    S&W M&P-22 has barrel threads of 1/2x28

Recommendations on a moderate price suppressor/silencer primarily used for the 5.56 platforms, secondary use for handgun platform?

Bacpacker likes this.
  2. Jan 10, 2019 #2

backlash

backlash

backlash

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I have seen adapters to use an oil filter. They are not legal but there are a bunch of YouTube videos.
    If you are looking for a government approved and taxed suppressor then I can't help you.
    I kept hoping the hearing protection act would pass but now that the Dems are in charge of the house it won't happen.

Bacpacker, Caribou and The Lazy L like this.
  3. Jan 10, 2019 #3

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Awesome Friend Neighbor

About $400 and up for the suppressor then the $200 tax stamp. Is it worth at least $600+ to your friend? The six hundred bucks is why I don't have one.
    The gov is currently not giving out or investigating tax stamps due to the gov shutdown. Normal turn around time is six months to a year to get a stamp.

Caribou likes this.
  4. Jan 10, 2019 #4

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

More I look into it, it doesn't make sense.

5.56 unsuppressed has a 163.1 dB

Same 5.56 suppressed with a Chimera 300 had a average of 133.8 dB

Wow! I thought! That's a reduction of 29.3 dB. Then I did a search to find what compared to 133.8 dBs.

30 dB equals a whisper in a quiet Library at six feet.
    130 dB equals peak stadium crowd noise
    140 dB equals jet engine at takeoff
    150 dB will rupture eardrums.
    160 dB equals shotgun

Why $pend money for a device that will change the sound of a 5.56 from a Shotgun blast to a stadium crowd or jet engine?

Bacpacker and Caribou like this.
  5. Jan 10, 2019 #5

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

30 db reduction is about average for a suppressor. Silencer is mostly a misnomer. If you want to get a quieter gun then you need a quieter round. A heavier bullet with less powder keeping under 1000fps muzzle velocity, not a .223. A 9MM with 147Gr bullet is good.

A new upper for your AR in 300 Blackout or a similar round would help considerably. Using your .22 as a single shot and using .22 Short or special .22 long subsonic. Aguilla makes a .22LR 60Gr bullet loaded into a Short case I'd like to try.

Bacpacker likes this.
  6. Jan 10, 2019 #6

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Here is another option. Get a chamber insert for your shotgun. It will not be as accurate but it will be quieter and you don't need to pay hundreds and no tax stamp is necessary. The long barrel gives plenty of volume for gas expansion and cooling as well as a flash suppressor.

You could get a chamber insert to fire a .22 in your AR though a different upper would be better. I have a chamber insert for my 30-06 that lets me fire .308. I also have a chamber insert for my .300 Weatherby Magnum that allows me to fire .32ACP, that does not require hearing protection.

The basic goal of suppressors is to get the sound down below the range where it does hearing damage.

Bacpacker likes this.
  7. Jan 10, 2019 #7

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

There are two causes of noise from firing a firearm. The first is the blast. A suppressor can mitigate this to one level or another. The second source of noise is the bullet breaking the sound barrier. The only answer for this is to keep your bullet under the sound barrier. This can be accomplished with a shorter barrel, less gunpowder, or a heavier bullet, or some combination of these.

ssonb, Bacpacker and The Lazy L like this.
  8. Jan 10, 2019 #8

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

You can buy a lot of ear protection for $600. I just bought a few of those electronic ones which work well and I was out the door for about $30 each.

ssonb and Caribou like this.
  9. Jan 10, 2019 #9

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Awesome Friend Neighbor

There was a bill floating around Congress(it never came up for a vote) that would have made suppressors the same as buying a gun. This would have made suppressors widely available and brought the price way down. Now with Dems in charge of the House this bill is dead.
    In Europe suppressors are rather common. It is only polite to make your firearm as quiet as possible.

ssonb and Caribou like this.
  10. Jan 11, 2019 #10

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

True. Friend was thinking more along the line of TEOTWAWKI when batteries for electronic muffs are no more or a zombie doesn't allow my requested "Time Out" as he tries to put hearing protection on before firing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  11. Jan 11, 2019 #11

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Yes modifying a weapon or adding sub-sonic ammo are solutions but not solutions for the end goal.

Keep ammo inventory to the basics with quantity. One suppressor for several platforms. The K.I.S.S principle, Keep It Simple Stupid.

12. Jan 11, 2019 #12

backlash

backlash

backlash

Awesome Friend Neighbor

13. Jan 11, 2019 #13

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Understood!

Think my friend has lost interest after he was asked, "You are spending $750 plus for a silencer and Tax stamp then using subsonic ammo to turn your $1,000 AR into a single shot 22 LC? Buy yourself a 22 LC rifle and pocket the saved $400 plus."

14. Jan 11, 2019 #14

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

I've been at the range when the local Sheriffs were testing their new SIG suppressed carbines. It was way quieter than any stadium crowd. From talking to a deputy, I later learned that they use 62 grain supersonic ammo, but he didn't know what brand the suppressor was. I would say the noise level was similar to or less than a 22 mag rifle. It wasn't uncomfortable to stand 20 feet away when they fired. Suppressors are worth it for your ears. I just dont want to pay the cost or have the can hanging off the end of my rifle...

15. Jan 11, 2019 #15

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

They don't have to be electronic. I have several sets of regular ears (but make sure they're the ones with thin muffs so they don't kick off your ear when you put your cheek to the stock.

Haven't hunted zombies but when hunting anything else, I never notice the sound nor the kick of the rifle. Sounds and kick are only noticed during target practice. :)

Caribou likes this.
  16. Jan 11, 2019 #16

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Would it be wise to impair your hearing with non-electronic hearing protection which would allow a zombie to groan a sneak behind you?

Caribou likes this.
  17. Jan 11, 2019 #17

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Silencers effectively reduce the sound down to hearing safe levels. If you are looking for a movie silencer you are likely to be let down. Slower, heavier bullets will help whether you use a silencer or not. You can use a faster bullet and reduce the sound with a silencer. Certain rounds are quieter, certain guns are quieter. It really depends on what you are after.

18. Jan 11, 2019 #18

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Electronic hearing still works without a battery. The beauty of electronic hearing is that it enhances (amplifies) normal sounds but cancels loud noises. Noise cancelling headphones work by producing a signal in the opposite amplitude. Think of a wave set on the ocean. Take another wave set and place it so that the peaks and troughs are in the opposite position. This effectively calms the sea, or in this case the noise.

Several times I got to the range with dead batteries in my electronic hearing. I still wore them because they cut the noise by about 30db. I also wore hearing protection inside my ears. Much of what you hear is transmitted through the bone of the skull. Because of this hearing protection that has a pad that goes around the ear in more effective than a simple ear plug, when you add the two together you get a more effective result. A silencer means you don't need the ear muffs for the same effect.

If you are shooting inside a silencer protects everyone in the home. Inside a structure you really get bombarded with all the sound bouncing back at you.

Bacpacker likes this.
  19. Jan 12, 2019 #19

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

If there's zombies out there, hearing protection is one of the least of my worries. ;)

Terri9630 and Spikedriver like this.