Survival Garden

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Potato patties are at their best when you make hash-browns. :)
Try to turn them into pancakes and they become hockey pucks. I would love to see your recipe for potato pancakes!

Yep! that's how I make hockey pucks. :)

Yep! that's how I make hockey pucks. :)

Ok Lewis Grezzard, he called bagels hovcy pucks. In case your not famiar with him he was RIP the funniest southern manthere was. Books include but not limited to " Don't Sit Under The Grits Tree With Anyone Else But Me'; Don't Bend Over In The Garden Granny Them Tators Got Eyes',Elvis Is Dead And I don't Feel Too Good Myself'.

I am not familiar with Lewis Grezzard, but I think I'd like him! Bagels, after all, are just "boiled" donut batter. ;)

I am not familiar with Lewis Grezzard, but I think I'd like him! Bagels, after all, are just "boiled" donut batter. ;)

His short stories are great, My friend and I use to laugh so hard we had not speak or breath. Even on phone she 'd say one word like potatoes and here we hit the floor again in diffent states. We'd get out breath back and I'd say beach,she would say shut up! Every book he has a true short story that was real not funny.
He sang and wrote this song about his grandmaw he mentions sometimes in his books.

1595187016133.png

I do like him! :)

You can't get away without flour of some kind. We have probably 5 or 6 non-wheat flours (amaranth, rice, sorghum, buckwheat, maybe teff), but we use them very seldom and wold be able to get by just fine if all we had to bake with was wheat (hard and soft) flour. I have a couple of bags of wheat which I can mill in the VitaMix, but what I'd really like is a grain mill -- with both electric and manual operation.

It's hard to make a good choice if you don't know someone who actually has one, because they're so damn expensive! Anyone here have any first-hand experience with grain mills?

Duncan, have you seen this thread? Choosing a Hand Grain Mill (Flour Mill)
I love my 35 year old VitaMix, $200.00 for scratch & dent at half price, people made fun of me, because blinders where like $39.00.
But mine is stanless steel & will not break, clean up warm water & turn it on, the blinder cleans it self. My wife bought 2 used VitaMix for our kids.
I wonder which of the grains you listed, would be low labor to grow & process.

I did a bit of research on him and found out where he lived: Five Mile Bar in the middle of the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. About 175 miles as the crow flies from where I live, but between ten and eleven hours as the Nissan Xterra drives (the last 100+ miles in 4WD).

Dawn agrees that root crops are the way to go for SHTF farming preps, and says we need to really investigate the interior of the state, where all the roads aren't.
It’s on the Salmon (middle fork). The only way your Nissan can get there is by boat. No roads in which is what he was after.

@Duncan I have both an electric and an old hand crank that I’ve actually never used. Watch at thrift stores and yard sales and occasionally on Craigslist. They are expensive.
We keep some grains on hand, but unless you have lots of space and energy, might be difficult to grow enough for the nutrient level that you could get from other crops.

@Duncan I have both an electric and an old hand crank that I’ve actually never used. Watch at thrift stores and yard sales and occasionally on Craigslist. They are expensive.
We keep some grains on hand, but unless you have lots of space and energy, might be difficult to grow enough for the nutrient level that you could get from other crops.
watch the goodwill site too. I found a country living grain mill there.

I have over 200 recipes for corn bread, seems everyone has a different way to make them. SheepDog is right most, if not all ready made flours have wheat flour added, but the wife does not add it to cornbread, which she makes from her mother recipes also.

Mine don't! :) . I never have neither did my mother put flour in our cornbread,eat too much bread as it is.A little tricky turning ove potato cakes but it works.

Lard seed are on short legs, Bacon seeds have a longer midsection & longer legs.
All pork seeds come from these two groups.

Latest posts

Back