Survival or Eotwawki Movies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is true about Japan. They are a very law-abiding, clean, peaceful culture. A dear friend, ok it was one of my kids, was there a couple of years ago, major large city...no litter or trash anywhere on the streets.
I concur. I've been there several times. Very law abiding and clean.

On the clean side, consider this: Their schools don't have janitors. They expect the children to clean up the school. Even in elementary school, a major part of the curriculum is making their own group lunches, and then cleaning up afterward, to the point of scrubbing the floors on their knees. American students would sue for unusual punishment if they were required to do that, but for Japanese students it is a point of honor.

Last edited:
  • World War Z: Very good movie. Whenever it is on, I have to watch the opening 5-10 minutes...great scenes.
  • The Stand: I haven't seen the movie, but I tried to read the book, which was very good and interesting as the pandemic spreads--interesting characters dealing with the developing situation. But then the demon stuff started and I lost interest and put the book down. I'm not a Stephen King reader.
  • The Day After Tomorrow: Seemed kind of silly to me. I'm not into the environmental apocalypse movies.
  • The Day After: Very scary for the times like Patchouli said. I think it holds up pretty well. I watched the launch scenes on youtube, and they are still pretty freaky.
  • Jericho: The wife and I liked the first few episodes, but we stopped watching and haven't restarted. Still on my list on Netflix.
  • This is the End: I recall it being pretty funny...the apocalypse with useless, vain, vacuous actors. I actually don't remember too many details from it.
  • War of the Worlds: Pretty good. One of the realistic things was that the first thing aliens would do in an attack is EMPs all around the world. If we have to fight a war against aliens, it will be a small arms war fought by infantry. Any alien race sophisticated enough to cross interstellar space will have EMPs.
  • Interstellar: It passed the time. Not bad; not great.
  • City of Ember: Not bad. Based on a kids book our family read. You might just read the book--easy read.
  • I Am Legend: Pretty good. This is a modernized version of Vincent Price's "The Last Man on Earth" which I watched as a kid on a small black and white TV. Really reworked the story, though. Different ending, though.

• 2012: Pretty silly. Another The Day After Tomorrow.
  • 28 Days Later: Pretty good. But, I like zombie movies.
  • The Road: Too depressing. I stopped watching.
  • Children of Men: Passed the time.
  • Independence Day: Pretty good movie.
  • Book of Eli: Pretty good movie. Not sure it makes much sense at the end, but still pretty good.
  • Zombieland: Pretty good zombie comedy.
  • Battle Los Angeles: I liked the movie, even with the military cliches of the incompetent lieutenant.
  • Edge of Tomorrow: Great movie. I watch it every time it is on.

A Quiet Place, a gripping movie.
I Am Legend ...i don't like zombie stuff but I must be lying because I like this movie.
World War Z...ditto.
War of the Worlds...too many scenes in it that I ALWAYS LIKE/HATE. Of course it was filmed in Virginia so...
The Day the Earth Stood Still...excellent.
There was an old one, I think called "Them," about giant ants.
2012. I agree, I thought it was kinda dumb. At this point, if it has Nicholas Cage in it, I will say no, can't watch. I think his acting skills are lousy.
Jericho. Binge watched once. Nice soundtracks. Some of it was very good. Some of it, don't ya just wanna reach into the screen and slap somebody?

...Some of it, don't ya just wanna reach into the screen and slap somebody?

So many Hollywood movies like that. Makes me think that writers need to live life more before they start writing. So many characters act in ways I would never act...acting like they don't know what to do when the choices are crystal clear. I hate that.

My biggest irritation is characters that I really don't like, ya know? There's always a jerk. Like the kid who's mom died while he was on the phone with her when the bombs dropped (Jericho, first one). The bar owner. Gray. Every crowd has to have one, or several.
But Mr. Cage, ugh. His looks never change. Next!

The Ghost and the Darkness. A true story available free on Amazon Prime.

Is true about Japan. They are a very law-abiding, clean, peaceful culture. A dear friend, ok it was one of my kids, was there a couple of years ago, major large city...no litter or trash anywhere on the streets.

Just got go watch the pick pockets.

I concur. I've been there several times. Very law abiding and clean.

On the clean side, consider this: Their schools don't have janitors. They expect the children to clean up the school. Even in elementary school, a major part of the curriculum is making their own group lunches, and then cleaning up afterward, to the point of scrubbing the floors on their knees. American students would sue for unusual punishment if they were required to do that, but for Japanese students it is a point of honor.

I've seen Japanese tourist picking up at ball stadiums and parks.

Guns of the Apocalypse. 2018
Terrible B movie. The acting is horrid. The lines are worse. the story even worse. LOL.
If you enjoy a really bad movie this is one to watch. I think it might be a good one for Mystery Science Theater.
Watch this trailer and you will get an idea of how bad it is!

There is a movie, which I remember little of. I do remember one scene where there is a junker car. The trunk of the car is the entrance to an underground something. Maybe an underground home, maybe a bunker. I can see the actor's face, but cannot tell you who he is. He is an older man, probably in his 60's or 70's now. Does anyone have any idea what this movie is? The thing about the trunk of the car being an entrance to a place where you could go, intrigued me. I have always thought about how you could have a place to jump into and it would be hard to find you there. The trunk MAY have had a slide to go down to get into the place in the ground. Anyone?

There is a movie, which I remember little of. I do remember one scene where there is a junker car. The trunk of the car is the entrance to an underground something. Maybe an underground home, maybe a bunker. I can see the actor's face, but cannot tell you who he is. He is an older man, probably in his 60's or 70's now. Does anyone have any idea what this movie is? The thing about the trunk of the car being an entrance to a place where you could go, intrigued me. I have always thought about how you could have a place to jump into and it would be hard to find you there. The trunk MAY have had a slide to go down to get into the place in the ground. Anyone?
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
Thank you! I will have to watch that again. I remember other scenes from that movie, but didn't connect it to this scene.

My daughter used to watch the same movies over and over, seeing some of them dozens of times starting when she was around 4. She would get a new movie and watch it every day for a full month, when I got paid and would buy her a new movie. I have noticed that when I watch a movie a few times, I see things that I totally missed the first time. I think that is what I need to do with Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

What else would be an interesting entrance to an underground dwelling that would not necessarily be easily identified?

Thank you! I will have to watch that again. I remember other scenes from that movie, but didn't connect it to this scene.

My daughter used to watch the same movies over and over, seeing some of them dozens of times starting when she was around 4. She would get a new movie and watch it every day for a full month, when I got paid and would buy her a new movie. I have noticed that when I watch a movie a few times, I see things that I totally missed the first time. I think that is what I need to do with Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

What else would be an interesting entrance to an underground dwelling that would not necessarily be easily identified?

Old fridge. They also make good gun safes. Old fridge in the garage.

I was surprised at how little crime there seemed to be in Japan as this situation in any major city in America would quickly descend into violence that never really seemed to materialize there.

I heard about a laptop that was left on a train in Japan. People stayed away from it. The next day, the owner of the laptop got on the train and it was right where it was accidentally left.

safe-gun-sentry-gun-safe-gun-safe-sale-full-size-of-gun-cabinet-with-ammo-safe-gun-sentry-gun-safe.jpg

913e239e4b946de5ebe081935e792a15.jpg

That scene in Mad Max is near the end. I too have thought it would make a cool bunker entrance, and you could lock it behind you.

The Earthling

Back