Surviving the next 3-6 months

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ol’ Remus of the Woodpile Report, before he passed, was very concerned about the upcoming election cycle and to turmoil on the streets. His observations of how the fall would play out have certainly been vindicated by the events that have happened to date.

How do you see the next 3-6 months playing out? Regardless of who wins the election we are entering a period of high volatility on the streets and in the financial markets. Add to this a Trump win, you are likely to see a huge increase in violence on the street. It’s likely major ports and transportation routes will shut down impacting the supply chain. If Biden wins, the left will be emboldened and you likely see targeted retribution against conservatives verses the current tactics of general mayhem in the streets.

How to respond? I would like to think most of us are well along with our plans, but what do we need to do based on the emerging threat?

Most of us are pretty digitally exposed through activities such as these public forums. What can we do to reduce our digital footprint to reduce the risk of being doxed in any targeted retribution? I am pretty clueless about all of this and am probably at risk.

Market volatility is certain and a major market correction is likely. In January as the COVID virus showed signs of impacting the world, I moved half of my investments outside of the markets. Volatility doesn’t worry me much but a major correction would hurt. This is a risk/reward balancing act that I’m still struggling with. There is still time to pull out of the market more, but each day that passes until the election and the mess on the streets may take this option away.

I’m in Alaska primarily to put space between me and crowds. Assuming complete societal breakdown, this space may buy me a few months advance warning before risk shows up at my doorsteps. Alaskans will be hungry like everywhere else, and hungry people do desperate things. But I won’t be able to hide forever at my place. I do have fall back locations and things stashed, but at my older age. will I be able to manage long on the run? I think the key is having good triggers to know when to hit the hills. What are those triggers?

We all saw how impacted the supply chain was when COVID hit. That was frightening to see how impacted we were. Folks were coming to blows over toilet paper. Think what they will do when they are out of food and the drugs for their habits. I fear Americans are no longer equal to this challenge.

I know the breakdown is inevitable, but will it be these next 3-6 months. Call me pollyanna, but I still have some hope for America. In my mind we are close, too close. Maybe it’s 50/50 odds that now is the time.

I see something happening in our nation I’ve never seen before. People are awake to an amazing degree, people who in the past were barely aware of anything but their daily lives are aware our nation hangs in the balance. It’s been an amazing thing to watch, especially the last few months.

Compare this to what we are fed on the daily news. They would have us believe there are huge numbers of angry people ready to burn all our cities and towns to the ground. Millions of them, everywhere, ready to pounce…

I’m not buying it. At most there 30K nationwide and they live in cities that have been gutted anyway. The actual number is probably closer to 10K. Can 10K people wreak havoc? Sure, until the rest of us has had enough. But I don’t think it’ll come to that.

I think the young men and women who now serve as I once did are more than enough to “take out the trash”.

I see another lie the media would have us believe, that this is a close election… I go to a big town once or twice a month to shop for items I can’t get nearby. There is a major university there. 6 months ago it was filled with angry young liberals. They are still there but attitudes have changed. My favorite restaurants are near the campus. I sit and eat, listening to the conversations around me. Even these liberals are beginning to see through the BS they’ve been fed for years, especially the past year. Each week thousands of them wake up. I’ve even seen a few maga hats lately.

My real concern is for those with health issues. Even small or short disruptions will affect the elderly, the sick and the poor the most. I see this as where the average citizen will be needed.

But yes, our nation hangs in the balance. Are we going to let a bunch of evil people take it from us? People who hide in the shadows and lie to us every day. People who chain us to one government program after another, telling us it’s the best thing. People manipulate us while robbing our children blind. People who now inflame idiots to go to war in the streets for them, to burn and loot… I think not.

For the first time in my life I see a small group of people in power who actually care about our nation an all its people, true patriots. I think we have already won. We just have to go through the motions, might get a little bumpy, might be a little painful, but an amazing time awaits us… And I haven’t believed anything I’ve seen on the news or a politician's words since the 1970’s. Cynicism has been my creed… but times do change.

Edit to add... I found this tweet by James Woods last night... It sums up the election. The lady with the biden sign, her face could curdle buttermilk. The old guy on the right cracks me up! People are jumping the biden ship faster than they left the Titanic, even the band.

Raised not Cut.png

Last edited:
i see a semi venezuela type situation coming in our future....limited items by region,location etc.even by your contacts....as in its who you know type thing to if certain items are available....keep stacking !

I really miss Ol Remus. Things are going to get ugly no matter who wins. Don't get on the bus and stay away from crowds.

I miss him too. I plan on re-reading his blogs during our long winter months. His insights are even more valuable today.

i see a semi venezuela type situation coming in our future....limited items by region,location etc.even by your contacts....as in its who you know type thing to if certain items are available....keep stacking !

I agree. We saw what that looks likes early on in the pandemic and even today, some items are tough to come by. Anyone who walks into a hardware store today will see lots of empty shelves.

We moved all but about 2% of our holdings out of the market. The next 3 months will let know what direction the country is going. We are preparing as if civil war is coming while hoping we are wrong. This type of thing happens every 80 years or so.

Pray prepare and pray some more that what the founding fathers set up is NOT "fundamentally transformed" into something that Marx would have approved of.

Ben

Last edited:
Ben,
Did you mean to say to pray for a marxist society?
I don't want what the founders put in place to be transformed into anything that Marx would have approved of. I much prefer my freedom, fundamental rights, and personal responsibilities. Carl Marx was responsible for the murder of 100s of millions of people - citizens that he thought were against him.

Husband's been buying puts in stocks lately (betting on the down). Working well.
That's a good bet.
I believe monday (tomorrow) is the trading day after triple-witching day also.
Research how many stock market crashes occurred in the first week of October. :oops:
Scary.

Ben,
Did you mean to say to pray for a marxist society?
I don't want what the founders put in place to be transformed into anything that Marx would have approved of. I much prefer my freedom, fundamental rights, and personal responsibilities. Carl Marx was responsible for the murder of 100s of millions of people - citizens that he thought were against him.
You are right. I fixed it.

Ben

You are right. I fixed it.

Ben
You did scare us a little.
But everyone notice, in here, nobody attacked him.
That says a lot for this forum.

Thanks.
I am dyslexic and just don't see or understand words.
;)
Ben

Me too... Spell check corrects letters in a word but my grammar check... not so much. I make a lot of badly worded posts. It usually shows up as phrases within a long sentence that are out of order. Funny, when I post or even a few hours later I can't see my mistakes. But the next day I can usually see them. You'll see a lot of "last edited" in the bottom right corner of my posts... I have to edit them all the time.

Last edited:
In the past few weeks I've been approached by three people asking advise about buying handguns. Two out of the three were previously antigun.
If you waited until now to become "an armed citizen", you are late to the party.
You might as well tell them that if you don't already have ammo, what handgun you buy doesn't matter much now:rolleyes:.
Maybe a nice Samurai sword?
japanese-samurai-fighter-wearing-traditional-uniform_33835-1015.jpg

You did scare us a little.
But everyone notice, in here, nobody attacked him.
That says a lot for this forum.

I'm not that bad that I attack everyone. :(

If you waited until now to become "an armed citizen", you are late to the party.
You might as well tell them that if you don't already have ammo, what handgun you buy doesn't matter much now

I don't discuss what I may have. Explained the function differences between semiauto and revolvers. Purchase with a phoned in background check they could walk out 5 minutes later. No permit required if firearm stayed on their property. Ask the shop if you purchase, do they have a box of ammo for it? Shop may have ammo put back for new gun Purchaserers. Also told them there is a run on everything related to firearms, expect to pay premium IF you can find one.

AND no I don't have anything to sell.

As a non-American all I can say is that when America stumbles the rest of the world gets bloodied knees. Regardless of who gets in the American markets will crash and bring the global economy with it.
If the Repubs win the Dems will go for as much damage as possible.
There's already global food shortages.
The war hawks are beating the war drums...
And regardless of who gets in there's going to be a war.
Look for a 911 type of false flag event as the excuse and they'll blame China.
The only way they can stop the US from destroying themselves is to give them an event and a outside enemy to focus on.
The covid distraction is going to be small potatoes, the election is going to be small potatoes compared to the Greater depression and the war that is coming.
Look at the next decade would be closer to the truth.

You might as well tell them that if you don't already have ammo, what handgun you buy doesn't matter much now:rolleyes:.
Maybe a nice Samurai sword?
japanese-samurai-fighter-wearing-traditional-uniform_33835-1015.jpg

While we do have fire arms The Princess is currently working on her 5th level black belt in Kung-fu.

This video includes footage of her 4th level test.

She is the "more experienced" woman using spear sabre and straight sword.

As she said "no ammo required"

We agreed that I should stand out front and she will doing a hooked sword to back me up.

Ben

Today was a range day; I saw a lot of folks with new arms (as indicated by the attached tags). I also saw a lot of people afraid to shoot because they only had 1 box of ammo. One of my old hunting buddies told me that the ammo he used to hunt with was discontinued.... Just happened I had my range box.. We both hunt with the same gauge slug gun and happen to use the same ammo... I gave him a couple of boxes. He was looking them over and then asked, "What is this 2006 on the box?" "Oh, that; I write the date on everything when I put it into my inventory". I am a big believer in bread on the waters....

This week will be the first time I have to go back into THE BIG CITY for work. I remember after the last election being accosted by folks with “NOT MY PRESIDENT” signs, the anger of some folks has been festering for a long time. If the next election ends with an R in the winners column, it may be like splashing gasoline on a fire…. I think that some people are hoping for a contested election so the HOUSE can rewrite the election in their vision…. So, it is not just the President people should be voting for, Congressional Representatives and Senators have much more power than most people realize (They control the purse and money controls everything else).

As long as she's within 21 feet (plus or minus a little) I'd agree with her that no ammo is required.

I have been told by a number of folks that if you let a person with a blade get within 3 feet of a person with a gun, the person with the gun is in great danger...

21 feet is way to close. Remember that it will take you a full second to see and realize that you are being attacked and it takes less than a second and a half to close that distance. Most people in competition take close to a second and a half to draw and fire at a target and they are expecting it. It takes twice that long for most people to draw and fire so you are way behind the person with a knife at 21 feet.

Action beats reaction. The bad guy is going to get as close as possible before letting you become aware of an attack. 21'? It's hard to keep danger that far away. If you seem alert they may choose easier prey.

it is possible in the next few months we will see a oppressive tax increase. An "evil" eye towards those that "hoard", those supplies should be shared. Ten year prison sentence for being in possession of a certain type of firearm and I don't mean NFA. A twisted sense of crime and punishment depending on which side of the aisle you sit on, this is happening now. It will be amplified. Self defense will become a thing of the past. it will be a steady grinding down with spurts.

There have been a couple threads, can't recall off the top of my head, but a portion comes down to community. Know your neighbors. Kinda the W Churchill "Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer." That's pretty crumby but kinda true in the sense of knowing what you're up against.

Latest posts

Back