Sustainable Living

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We are trying to do this or starting to try and set up for it .
But time is not on our side far as age goes. But for just two of us maybe this next few months will be basically a good start.
Most projects now are in slow motion:doghouse: where younger people can go at it faster and get more done in less time. With us it is rest more work less type of thing. I may dig for 5 minutes then rest for 10 kinda deal.:gardening:

Note to self, do NOT use bungee cords on rabbit or chicken coops! Or anywhere else...
Capture+_2019-01-17-22-16-19.png

Note to self, do NOT use bungee cords on rabbit or chicken coops! Or anywhere else...View attachment 10157

For sure! That looks like the one that ate out biddies. We never did figure out how that thing got into the brooder. Had latches on the doors and hardware wire everywhere else.
Words out we got a snake grabber that really works great and no more snakes since. We took the last one a couple miles down and threw it out it and it got the message.

No it takes the same about of time (in my mind). Its just that the days are getting shorter (or the afternoon naps are getting longer).
I wouldn't be able to sleep well at night if I laid down to take a nap.

My 86 year old aunt gets up at 5 a.m., walks 3 miles a day, on the go all day long, doesn't nap, and goes to bed after 9 p.m.

We bought a snake grabber this year, too. I'm ready to use it when the weather warms up.
My 86 year old mom thinks it's extreme exercise to get her mail. I wish she'd move more. My 85 year old MIL still walks a couple of miles, drives, and does her own housework and cooking.

We bought a snake grabber this year, too. I'm ready to use it when the weather warms up.
My 86 year old mom thinks it's extreme exercise to get her mail. I wish she'd move more. My 85 year old MIL still walks a couple of miles, drives, and does her own housework and cooking.
I believe staying active keeps people healthier mentally. This aunt and uncle are spry and sharp. They are very active. She keeps him going. Really, they sometimes walk 5 miles a day, according to their pedometers. Aunt also does exercises in the evening and has an exercise bicycle she rides. She stays focused by watching movies while she is exercising.

A woman I knew from work, got into crack cocaine. She ended up being homeless for years, but had a social worker help get her SS disability and a low income apartment. She got into that apartment and only left to get groceries. She spent the rest of her time sitting in an easy chair, watching television. She was 66 and died of a stroke in November. She had had oxygen for several years and could hardly walk.

My mom went totally downhill in her mid 70's. She liked her recliner and soap operas way too much. Didn't get any exercise. Even slept in that recliner. She still sleeps in her recliner at 86, wakes up every few hours, eats honey buns, and goes back to sleep. And she's mad all the time. My sister and I were just commenting we don't think that she'll live very long. Diet is bad, no exercise, leg swelling from sleeping in the chair, and always mad about everything, never happy. I've learned a lot from my mom the past two years.

My mom went totally downhill in her mid 70's. She liked her recliner and soap operas way too much. Didn't get any exercise. Even slept in that recliner. She still sleeps in her recliner at 86, wakes up every few hours, eats honey buns, and goes back to sleep. And she's mad all the time. My sister and I were just commenting we don't think that she'll live very long. Diet is bad, no exercise, leg swelling from sleeping in the chair, and always mad about everything, never happy. I've learned a lot from my mom the past two years.

Looks like she is doing everything wrong yet beating the odds.

I think sugar gets a bad rap. The oldest living woman in the world lived to be 120 and loved her French pastry's . She almost smoked a couple cigs a day.
Maybe it is mostly predetermined?:dunno:

I think it is. A lot is genetic. But trying to get mom to eat something other than very processed, sugary foods is difficult. If you're going to eat sweets, I think homemade is better. She will eat hamburger soup, and I put containers of it in her freezer when I visit. At least it's got vegetables and protein in it.
Remember Grumpy Old Men where grandpa ate bacon all the time? Some people are like that.

I think it is. A lot is genetic. But trying to get mom to eat something other than very processed, sugary foods is difficult. If you're going to eat sweets, I think homemade is better. She will eat hamburger soup, and I put containers of it in her freezer when I visit. At least it's got vegetables and protein in it.
Remember Grumpy Old Men where grandpa ate bacon all the time? Some people are like that.

I know thats right seems if you have the right genes or fate it doesn't matter .

But I do think some of us do have to try harder than others. So I do try to eat fairly well and exercise for mental health..

This guy is a real nut, I like him.
But with a lot of the sustainable living, small farmer have been doing this for years. I know it seems new to the city folks.
Okay the chicken tractor is new, only about 30 years old, but fighting fox,dogs,coons,possum, snakes & bear is old.
I saw a photo of a mountain pig pen made of 8" X 8" post as boards to keep bears away from the pigs at night, it was filmed in the fifties.
I want to grow water chestnut, ginger in a green house, once I retire, I think he has a video on both.

This wasn't the video you posted, @Meerkat but part of his series. He shows how he does Hugelkulture in this one, 10 min. Maybe you've posted this elsewhere.
I've mentioned before that using galvanized metal is probably not good as it most likely has lead in it. Lead breaks down.

Patchouli, galvanizing is zinc not lead. There are two ways this is accomplished. Hot dip process is heavier and lasts longer while electroplating process is thiner and and less expensive.

This wasn't the video you posted, @Meerkat but part of his series. He shows how he does Hugelkulture in this one, 10 min. Maybe you've posted this elsewhere.
I've mentioned before that using galvanized metal is probably not good as it most likely has lead in it. Lead breaks down.

No Patch I haven't seen that one but it seems like a good idea for some who want to keep it concentrated and don't want to have to dig a large hole. :cool:

Patchouli, galvanizing is zinc not lead. There are two ways this is accomplished. Hot dip process is heavier and lasts longer while electroplating process is thiner and and less expensive.

I hope so because all my cookware is either stainless or ironware. :)

@Caribou from several different places I've read that lead is mixed in with the zinc on galvanized metals. It was a concern for me. I wonder why lead is still used in things that may have contact with water source or growing or containing food. Not disagreeing, Caribou, it is what I have read.

Some articles say lead in Galvanize pipe leaks into drinking water.
But this thread was the first time I heard of it.

Lead and zinc do not bond well. I have cast lead and zinc and lead is much easier to work with. When casting zinc you cover the top of the melt with Borax or boric acid to keep it from burning. Both metals put off toxic fumes but the zinc is a lot more toxic when it burns. The lead in galvanized pipe came from the lead in solder or packing at the joints. When we started using copper pipe they removed the lead from solder to prevent lead exposure. The original tin cans were sealed with lead solder.

Back