Sustainable Living

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patchouli,
Have you looked into the study upon which these reports are based? The question I have is: What was the lead level in the water before it reached the home?
Community water systems are typically old iron pipes that are joined using a lead and fiber packing. Old wells often use lead pipes to prevent corrosion. Taking water from a home and testing it for lead content is testing the entire delivery system and not just the home. Water has a PH of about 7 and should not absorb lead or zinc unless it is heated to over 350F or is more acid or base due to environmental effects. In older pipes the reaction with lead seals and rusting iron can release lead salts into the water. Also, lead is sometimes an impurity in the casting of iron products. The iron itself can leach lead if heated or caustic or acidic chemicals are present.
Knowing those facts I still would not consider a galvanized bucket for food storage or preparation anymore than I would use lead pipes for potable water.

Thanks for your info. You're such a fount of overflowing wisdom and facts, @SheepDog . Not many can match you. I am being sincere.
Of course not. I wasn't being disagreeable to disagree. When you have someone whose life has been affected by lead...well I can be a little touchy about it, if you know what I mean.
Municipal water suppliers have been working on replacing water lines in some places, so there's some hope.
Carry on.

Last edited:
Decades ago 50% lead solder was pretty common for soldering copper pipes. If water sat in the pipes for significant time it could pick up lead. I remember flushing the first bit of water down the drain before getting a glass of water. The old cast-iron sewer pipes were put together with lead wool. It was like steel wool only with lead. You would just pack it in tight with a hammer and rod.

Sheepdog, you can read the study in the first link here, it was quite interesting. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.6b04034
That is an interesting article. It points out the LCR (lead and copper rule). Copper is a toxin. Copper is used in the paint for the bottoms of boats to keep marine growth off the boat. The wife of one of my customers was sensitive to copper and couldn't live in a home with copper pipes.

Well crap, I never made that connection. I did drop a piece of copper into the chicken waterer to keep algae down, and it's worked so far, but the connection between that and my copper/lead soldered plumbing completely escaped me :( Right now, I am gonna die, someday, and God will take me when it's time, by the means he chooses.

Attachments

• Dave's Headstone.jpg
    Dave's Headstone.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Back