Sweet Potatoes, a super food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for info Joel good to know they are so nutricious.
I'd question the place of origin and think maybe they came from Africa or Asian but who knows. I could beleive they came from S.America but doubt they have been cultivated for 8000 years BC as the article says,

. Sweet potatoes are herbaceous vines that grow horizontally and belong to the morning glory family. They’re typically grown as perennial plants in warm climates and as annual plants in cold climates. They originated from Central and South America and were cultivated as early as 8,000 B.C as a food source as well as for ornamental purposes.

I was waiting on my order in an asian restaurant, I noticed a sweet potato in a pot.
A asian college student, ask if I knew what the plant was? I said yes a sweet potato vine.
She repiled "I loved the green leaves wilted in a pan with salt & pepper."
I never heard of eating the leaves, until that day, seems a lot of people eat sweet potato, bean & pea leaves as greens.
"Cultivated" is a loose term, finding the potato DNA at an ancient camp site, means hunter, gathers dug wild potato & ate them is not growing them on a farm.

Sweet potatoes & corn, two sisters, well you could plant pole beans around the edge at base of the corn.
I have an internet friend that plants 3 sisters & plant nasturtiums around the edge of the corn, which they eat in salad,
young leaves & flowers.

We didn't find any slips around here then again we didn't really look for them, but wish we had of planted some.

Sweet potatoes & corn, two sisters, well you could plant pole beans around the edge at base of the corn.
I have an internet friend that plants 3 sisters & plant nasturtiums around the edge of the corn, which they eat in salad,
young leaves & flowers.
I was thinking of adding some field peas.

Don't forget the leaves! In many countries, the leaves are sold in food markets because they taste so good and are more nutritious than most greens.

I love cooking the leaves Caribbean-style (lots of recipes on the internet). When I plant sweet potatoes, I try hard to remember to leave enough leaves for the sweet potato to keep growing those roots, lol. If I am not careful, I will munch on the vine until it is dead.

I must be part rabbit or something.

A Asian daughter told me she missed her mother's wilted sweet potato leave with salt & pepper, she was here in collage. I never heard of it before then. I understand Africans eat pea & bean leaves like we eat greens. The sweet potatoes put off many more leaves than it needs to make potatoes. We cut the vines that wondered out of the four foot bed & feed them to the rabbits, a few each day until the patch was trimmed, rabbits loved them.

Amish Heart, do you cure sweet potatoes on a screen rack like garlic?
If not how, thanks.

Back