Talk About........Medicare Supplemental Insurance Cost and Quality, PLEASE

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Are the policies pretty much all the same......??? Does "one" company standout above the others.......??? Is there a "more" smarter way to deal with this cost........???

Feel free to refer me to a quality article.......preferably not written by the Government.

Husband has United Healthcare AARP. He likes it. Pays $180/mo for Cigna and $80/mo for the meds and then pays the med copays.
Mom has Cigna and AARP for prescriptions. I like that for her. It covers anything that medicare doesn't, and pays for hospital. All of it. She pays a portion for prescriptions.
Those commercials that say you're entitled to this and that...rides, meal service, etc...means that you'll be giving something else up. Mom is 88, and I'd rather her have hospital paid in full, because that will likely happen at some point. Mom pays around $250 or so per month for Cigna. I'm not old enough yet.

Wife turns 65 this fall. We've been looking into this a lot. Went to a seminar and then a one on one with an advisor. Part B is $148.50/month. The differences is in the supplemental policy's. IIRC the supplements are one of 8 types, each cover things differently or not at all for some catagories. Dig into these and determine what fits your medical needs best. There are only 2 we are considering. I'll try and find the list and figure out how to post it here.
Another BIGGIE it the "Medicare Advantage" type polices. Yes they do have some better things, but if you have medical issues they put you at a disavantage. Also if you get into these and later want to change you will have to do a medical review and issues will disqualify you from moving. Choose wisely to start with and stick with it. Once your in you can keep it forever.
I've also been watching some folks on utube that discuss this. I'll post up some links as well. Bottom line do your research NOW. You need to start 6 months before you turn 65 so you can make decisions and get set up. This will be critical for you going forward. Also spouses can choose different choices and have zero effect on the other.

I've tried both. Supplement is probably better, but costs approx $200+ a month plus $145 to Medicare. My current Advantage Plan costs Zero $ and gives me back the $145 to Medicare so $350 month savings in my pocket and no noticeable different so far in coverage........
But YMMV. Check it out carefully!

That sounds interesting @Bacpacker, what do you do if you continue to work past 65 and have been paying for medical insurance? It is all a little unnerving as we approach this Point of Know Return
It is not a point of no return. You get to redo it every year. I think I heard that if you go from Supplemental to Advantage you cant go back very easily.....?

I am way out of the ballpark on this one but will chime in since Hubby and I were just discussing this. We don't have insurance, don't want it. We pay ourselves each month what we would pay to insurance so we have a medical account that earns interest (being what it is). Neither of us want to be on life support or "heroics" if such a situation arose. I realize folks have conditions that makes it worth it to have insurance, but we lost between $15,000-$20,000 with the cheapest option at my work in just the few years that it was required. We pay for our medical care and typically receive between 30%-60% off. And yes, we do go to doctors, dentists, ophthalmologist, etc.
I know that doesn't help with any certain company, but it at least gives you the other side for comparison.

I've tried both. Supplement is probably better, but costs approx $200+ a month plus $145 to Medicare. My current Advantage Plan costs Zero $ and gives me back the $145 to Medicare so $350 month savings in my pocket and no noticeable different so far in coverage........
But YMMV. Check it out carefully!
Beware of the EVERYTHING IS FREE! Scam. I know how it works.
Those commercials that say you're entitled to this and that...rides, meal service, etc...means that you'll be giving something else up. Mom is 88, and I'd rather her have hospital paid in full, because that will likely happen at some point. Mom pays around $250 or so per month for Cigna. I'm not old enough yet.
Free dental, free eye care? all the free stuff that Amish mentioned, no out of pocket costs, no monthly premiums? money added back to your SS check?
Medicare does not pay for any of that. Nobody thinks to ask where all this 'free money' comes from :mad:.
Want to know how it is all amazingly free?
Sometimes I just need to keep my Big mouth closed.gaah

Last edited:
You have to give up some of your medicare benefits to get those "free" benefits that you are "entitled" to and "deserve". It's like an ala carte menu. You have a certain amount and you decided how to use it.
Boy, I dislike those commercials. Joe Namath is doing one of them.

Another "somewhat" related thing to reflect on is......if your considering moving when your retired is looking into what states offer the best protection for your home, if you have unpayable medical costs.

Well if you are moving and have a supplement in one state, it's not good necessarily in another. Medicare has a certain time period you can enroll for a new supplement plan, but if you move, you don't have to wait for that time. Found that out when we moved mom from California to Kansas. She was on Medicare in California and had a stupid HMO type supplement only good for one hospital, and didn't include ambulance costs. We got her on Cigna in Kansas when we moved her, and they cover ambulance, too. She pays out of pocket entirely for dental and eyeglasses.

You have to give up some of your medicare benefits to get those "free" benefits that you are "entitled" to and "deserve". It's like an ala carte menu. You have a certain amount and you decided how to use it.
Boy, I dislike those commercials. Joe Namath is doing one of them.
I have seen that commercial so many times that I can quote the entire script from start to finish.
I'm halfway thru learning the new 'politically correct' J.J. Walker version that is out now.
"I called to get all of the benefits I deseeerrrved!!!!".😁
Old white men are out. Not PC anymore, Sorry.

What they do to retired people living on a limited income, to make a damprofit, for me is worse than me dispatching feral cats with a hammer😔.

Not all plans are available in all states.
Prescriptions are a big expense so shop wisely.
My wife's Rx went way up so I went to Amazon and she can save a substantial amount. Her doctor sent the Rx directly to Amazon on Friday and her pills will be here tomorrow.
I get my medical care and prescriptions from the VA and I still have a part B plan. That seems like I'm wasting $145 a month and maybe I am but everyone I talked to recommended I keep part B because there is no guaranty it will always be available from the government.
If you turn down Part B from Medicare you will pay a hefty penalty if you ever need to sign up for it unless you are covered by a plan from work.
If the congress critters really want to help they could make this process simpler. But then again the insurance companies didn't buy the politicians to make our life easier.

Oh yeah, did recently see JJ on one. He was in his trophy room with his stuff all over his walls. Even a sign that said, "dynomite!" In case one forgot who he was. He talks funny.
Did you notice they also changed their name from "The Medicare Coverage Helpline" to "The Medicare Helpline", and why?
This is important.

I am 60 year old, so it will be some time before I have A or B, I did ask a woman who worked for the hospital what was the best IHO.
She said Humana Gold was much better than the US Gov part B, because Humana pays for a overnight stay, US Gov cost is $12000.00 per night.
I am not sure what is true, I have four years & six months, it could all change by then.

A supplementary health insurance policy allows you to use medical services that are not included in the standard package of services. This policy is rarely needed. Some people want to be 100% sure of their safety. Usually, they take out VIP insurance, which costs a lot of money and includes many features. Health insurance is essential now during a pandemic. It's terrifying to see how many people who get sick can't get the help they need. Everyone has the right to health care if they get sick. You can read more about the types of health insurance policies at remedigap.com.

I feel somewhat qualified, since I retired in 2016, and have had several different supplementals.
When you turn 65, you must by law enroll in Medicare Part A. You don’t have to use it until you retire.
When you retire you must enroll in Medicare Part B. Parts A & B do not cover much, if that’s all you have and you have a catastrophic health problem you will go bankrupt.
This is where the various supplemental plans come in. You need to be careful about what the different plans offer in terms of prescriptions, vision, dental, co-pays and out of pocket.
The cheaper the plan the less you get.
Your Part B is deducted straight from your SS check. It used to be $134 when I started, now it’s $205 per month.
The cheapest supplemental will not cost any thing more than what SS already deducts. BUT, the co-pays, out of pocket, etc will be high.
I had a Humana plan like that. It was discovered I had been slowly bleeding to death from a huge stomach ulcer. Three days in the hospital plus four units of blood plus everything else was well over $20,000. The hospital wrote $16,000 off, praise God. I ended up paying about $1,000. Then there was the separate bill from the internist who had to scope me from both ends to find the bleeding. That was thousands upon thousands more. I paid $100/month for well over a year.

I learned my lesson, in the last open enrollment I switched to USAA Plan F. This covers everything with no co pays no out of pocket, nothing. Covers vision, dental, and my prescriptions are $5 each for a 90 day supply.
Of course, this costs more. I now pay $224 per month on top of the $205.

But when I get my total knee replacement later this year it will be well worth it.
My first one was $48,000 just for the parts and surgeons. That did not include any of the hospital bill.

Remember when Biden made such a big deal about a 5.9 % SS increase? Medicare went up almost 15%.

My head hurts rereading this thread. Nothing seems clear to me about this. I am soon going to be compelled to choose something.

Does anyone have any "NEW" wonderful information.

I will update since I just did a big change.....started on a Supplemental Plan, then went to Advantage, just to save a couple hundred bucks a month. Not worth it! The Advantage plans are free for a reason! Long wait times for referrals, very average doctor care - it kinda felt like I was in Canada or Europe or somewhere half the time.

I found a VERY GOOD insurance agent who specializes in Medicare and she steered me towards a Supplemental Plan with a 'high deductible'. But it's not really high, just $2500 a year, pay as you go. This plan covers everything, and most importantly - anywhere. A lot of the other plans (particularly Advantage) are not any good if you are out of your area, except absolute emergencies.

Now I am covered anywhere for anything, for a reasonable cost of $50 a month. I'd urge anyone to check and see if they can get this plan in their state. For me, at least, it is a perfect fit.....

We use Aetna, a medicare HMO. I do not know the cost, but I can say that my wife shopped diligently, and this is the best for us. I will ask her how much we pay. Our doctor visits have no copay. All of my maintenance meds are free. Most of my son's meds are free. My wife takes so many it is probably 50/50. Some free some with a copay. Our hospitalization deductible I believe is $2400.00. We have some limited dental benefits as well. We have been very pleased, and she shops the rates and coverage like a full time job. I trust her judgement.

Latest posts

Back