• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Target board - for rifle shooting at the range

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I posted about making target boards in a different thread, but I thought I'd post the details (dimensions) here - in case anyone wants to make one for themselves without having to calculate where the lines go for equal spacing.

Having a pre-made target board to take to the range when shooting rifles makes setup and takedown much quicker. I'm assuming your range has plywood backers that you are supposed to staple your targets to. I use the target board below for shooting at 100 yards. Three inch target circles are just about right for that distance. I use the ones that "splatter" when hit by the bullet, so you can see the impacts easier. There are many brands that make these: Shoot-n-See, Dirty-Bird, Splatterburst, etc. Labeling the target circles with numbers makes it much easier to indicate to someone else which target you're commenting on. "Third row down, fourth from the left" is not as easy to say as simply "14".

After a day of shooting, I replace the target sticker circles by just slapping a new one on top of the used one. Hint: Use short staples for easier removal of the target board from the plywood backing board. Also, tape a nickle to the bottom side of your staple gun so that it is slightly lifted from the target board - this leaves the staples sticking out slightly, so they are easier to pull out. Use needle-nose pliers to pull them out.

Target Board.jpg

The target board above was made with these specific target circles:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5SH9EK/?coliid=I2A5P7QAEP87KD&colid=12OOM7YOOKUHO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For repairing bullet holes in the target circles (when I don't want to replace the entire target circle), I use these stick-on black dots:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0153WB7CE/?coliid=I2SQ1KMMGIUH32&colid=12OOM7YOOKUHO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And to repair bullet holes in the white poster board, I use these stick-on white dots:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KOUYEXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regular Scotch Tape works well for repairing tears in the poster board.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
You gonna bring some of those to KY next year ?
Well, it would be kinda fun to see the look on TSA's faces when I tried to walk through the airport security carrying one of 'em. I could go to get something out of my carry-on, hand it to one of them and say "Here, hold this for a minute." Then, "No, hold it a little higher." And, "Could you turn a little more to your left?"

I don't think they'd see the joke. Maybe best to just make the boards in the hotel room when I get there!

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Neighbor
Well, it would be kinda fun to see the look on TSA's faces when I tried to walk through the airport security carrying one of 'em. I could go to get something out of my carry-on, hand it to one of them and say "Here, hold this for a minute." Then, "No, hold it a little higher." And, "Could you turn a little more to your left?"

I don't think they'd see the joke. Maybe best to just make the boards in the hotel room when I get there!
Well , I'll help ya in my living room.
;):)

Seems to be some interest in a get together in West KY here.
The biggest obstacle I had , my knees, should be a thing of the past by Spring.

I would sure like to see ya and meet some new lifetime friends.
@Supervisor42 said he'd come , even from LA.:cool:

I'll know more in a few weeks.
I can tell , my lovely bride is in.:)

Jim

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Neighbor
I really pushed it to have the last one,
But if my right knee comes out as good as the left...I'm gonna plan on it .
@Haertig
You up to helping recruit and organize here ? I think I know a few here that would be interested.

Jim

mulescj8

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Very cool idea! I do something similar. I try to go to the range during the week when no one else is there so it’s not a huge issue for me. Unfortunately my local rifle range only has 50yd, 100yd, 150yd and occasional a 200yd

Group Builder