Tattoos

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Well, there seems to be more and more women with large tattoos these days! MANY of the older people in my area got on to the home health care companies about their help "sporting" tattoos! A lot of companies make employees cover them! Well, the older folks won, just about all the home health companies in this area now make their employees cover any tattoos they may have! Can't post pics, but some of the ladies are posting pics on social media of their helpers with their tattoo coverings!😁 One gal had a big band aid on her neck tattoo, and another came to work with an ace bandage on her calf to cover her's!! Pretty amusing!

Daughter has friends who have lots of tattoos. She has always aspired to doing well in life, being successful. When she was in her late teens, the tattoos of her friends were starting and she talked to me about it. I suggested that she look at the people she saw who had tattoos and what kind of work they did. Were they educated people with high power jobs, or the flunkies? They were mostly flunkies!

I know this isn't 100% true, but most people in high powered jobs who have tattoos have them in places where no one can see them. Daughter went into a restaurant one time and all the help were wearing wrist bands and other articles of clothing to cover up their tattoos. It was company policy. Daughter has the freckles on her shoulders turned into stars, small stars. I can't even tell they are stars.

I know a family that have themed tattoos, all ducks!

A former student of mine works at the airport and had always aspired to being a flight attendant. She was accepted and even went to training in Atlanta. One day they were being fitted for uniforms and her forearms were to be exposed. Hers were covered in tattoos. She was released on the spot and greatly disappointed. I wonder if anyone she knows got a lesson from her disappointment?

Tattoos may be cool, and some of you may have them, but I have never aspired to having any.

Daughter has friends who have lots of tattoos. She has always aspired to doing well in life, being successful. When she was in her late teens, the tattoos of her friends were starting and she talked to me about it. I suggested that she look at the people she saw who had tattoos and what kind of work they did. Were they educated people with high power jobs, or the flunkies? They were mostly flunkies!

I know this isn't 100% true, but most people in high powered jobs who have tattoos have them in places where no one can see them. Daughter went into a restaurant one time and all the help were wearing wrist bands and other articles of clothing to cover up their tattoos. It was company policy. Daughter has the freckles on her shoulders turned into stars, small stars. I can't even tell they are stars.

A former student of mine works at the airport and had always aspired to being a flight attendant. She was accepted and even went to training in Atlanta. One day they were being fitted for uniforms and her forearms were to be exposed. Hers were covered in tattoos. She was released on the spot and greatly disappointed. I wonder if anyone she knows got a lesson from her disappointment?

Tattoos may be cool, and some of you may have them, but I have never aspired to having any.
I think people make too many decisions without thinking through the consequences!

When my wife and I drive past a tattoo place I always ask her if she wants to stop and have my name tattooed on her butt.
She always says NO.
I somehow avoided getting a tattoo while I was in the Navy. Came close a few times but never did it.
I saw one place where the guy getting a tattoo sat on a bed in a boom boom room of a bar and the tattoo artist(?) had a big bowl of alcohol that was bright red from blood. He used an old T shirt to wipe off the blood and then rinsed it in the bowl of alcohol. We left quickly.

I've had a tattoo for about 20 years and have worked in office environments for three different companies during that time. I have never been asked to cover my tattoo and I've worked with several professional people with visible tattoos. I guess it could be different in health care, but I don't really see the issue with them. 😆

When my wife and I drive past a tattoo place I always ask her if she wants to stop and have my name tattooed on her butt.
She always says NO.
I somehow avoided getting a tattoo while I was in the Navy. Came close a few times but never did it.
I saw one place where the guy getting a tattoo sat on a bed in a boom boom room of a bar and the tattoo artist(?) had a big bowl of alcohol that was bright red from blood. He used an old T shirt to wipe off the blood and then rinsed it in the bowl of alcohol. We left quickly.
Smart decision!! Somebody probably came out of there with a bad infection!!

I guess if one feels they must have tattoos, at least have them where they don't hold back good life choices!!

I never wanted a tattoo. Growing up in the 60's most of the older men I knew got tats in the military during ww2. By the 60's all this bad ink looked horrible. I'd never seen a legible tattoo. I remember at family reunions the kids would play a guessing game... trying to guess what a tat was? Or what it said... So tats were a hard pass for me.

I really don't understand the need for mostly permanent body art. I will stick with my larger than life personality :brewing:

I've had a tattoo for about 20 years and have worked in office environments for three different companies during that time. I have never been asked to cover my tattoo and I've worked with several professional people with visible tattoos. I guess it could be different in health care, but I don't really see the issue with them. 😆
It probably really depends on what part of the country you live in,and the attitude about tats. It used to be a rebel thing, now not having one seems to be a rebel thing. Also how good one is at their job plays a large part in what you can get around,

It certainly could be that attitudes are different in different areas, I've only lived in Western Mass, so I only have experience here.

My tattoo is a memorial to my husky, who was the best dog I ever had. (Shhh don't tell my current dog that.)

I always thought tattoos were a bad choice if for no other reason than they were for all intents and purposes permanent. We were stupid when we were young, and grew our hair long and reinvented facial hair. When the time came, you cut your hair and shaved. Back to normal. Can't do that with a tattoo. Not to mention the expense. Look at all those tattoos and start putting numbers in the calculator. :confused2:

My recommendation for kids today if you want to make a fortune, be a dermatologist and specialize in tattoo removal. I don't even want to think what all that is going to look like as they age and that glorious eagle turns into a bad Picasso.

I’m 73, so take that into account.
It makes me sad to see pretty girls that cover themselves with tattoos.
No one would ever think to add paint to the Mona Lisa.

My oldest daughter is almost 50, and has those tattoo “sleeves “.
Do I still love her? Of course!!
But it still makes me sad.

She always says NO.
When I graduated A school for Fire Control Tech the word was we had to get a tattoo or get an ear pierced. I opted for the ear pierce because it was reversible.

Ben

Ben

Well I can’t say anything for a have a few myself .. but they are something I know I’ll never get tired of or that I won’t love anymore also two more with my daughters names.. it started out when I was young and only had my son mason.. now I’m at the point I can’t have ones name and foot print and not the other And with that being said I graduated high school at 16 now in my 30’s I have a decent paying job that provides all I need for me and my family
2D1C90BD-203C-4597-A83E-ACE60F2B5A29.jpeg

Last edited:
It certainly could be that attitudes are different in different areas, I've only lived in Western Mass, so I only have experience here.

My tattoo is a memorial to my husky, who was the best dog I ever had. (Shhh don't tell my current dog that.)
I also have a memorial of my bluetick Turbo. The best dog I ever had the chance to hunt with

I have toyed with the idea of getting the shoulder insignia of the 5th Infantry Division tattooed on my arm.
It would go on my right shoulder, in the Army if you were in combat, that unit patch goes on the right sleeve.
Im dang proud of that Red Diamond.

Tattoos? I have nothing against body art, some of it is quite cool, but I always had something else to do with my money, like buy a motorbike, buy a small sailboat, pay some bills, etc. If I ever did get some body art, I reckon I'd have a hummingbird on one shoulder and a polar bear on the other... that would keep 'em ALL guessin', lol. ;)

I'm not into the whole inked-up 'sleeve' thing, but I figure as adults we all make choices... I just think that, as in many aspects of life, sometimes less is more. A friend in my Army unit had a small parrot done on his shoulder, it was clearly delineated and had multiple vibrant colors, it really looked sharp with the thin black lines around the different colors. :)

I try not to be judgmental when it comes to tattoos, but there are some I've seen where I wondered if the guy (or gal) regretted it. For instance, when I was falsely charged and had six months of my life ripped off while fighting the phony charges from the inside in jail, this one hand had '5150' inked on his forehead in large numbers, lol... :oops:

Yeah, good luck finding a job with that one... maybe in the trucking industry, lol. Funny, that time spent in jail, like a bad episode of 'THE TWILIGHT ZONE'---career criminals, total thugs & murderers, couldn't figure me out since I didn't have a single drop of ink on my body, lol. They were stumped: "What are you doing here?" Lol. That whole scene was crazy. o_O

Another dude had a bar code tattooed on the back of his neck... I thought that was hilarious. I must say, the bullet scars were more intriguing... one guy literally had a circle of scars round his heart, where some rival gang member had approached the car, opened fire and hit everything BUT the guy's heart, lol... bad shot, probably high on meth too. :confused:

But I digress... I've seen some cool tats in my time, my favorites have always been animal-related: brightly-colored birds, lions & tigers, Great White sharks, that sort of ink. Sailing tats too, with tall ships, plenty o' rum, island girls, fouled anchors, all that good stuff. I see one of those, I can talk to that hand for hours because I know he's into sailing, just like me. :cool:

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot the oddest and yet one of the funniest tats I ever saw: I was walking out of a truck stop in Texas and this hand was standing outside, so we started talking for a moment as truckers often do. On his shoulder was a full-on DEMON, pointy ears & all, and underneath was the word 'MOM'---lol, I'm thinking maybe he had an unhappy childhood. :(

Which reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw: IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!!! ;)

And on that note, I believe I'll wrap this up and grab another cold beer... CHEERS!!! :D

Last edited:
I have several most folks would not even know that I have any. They are not visible while wearing a t shirt. I didn’t get them for other people to see. They all represent some part of my life. One of my favorites is a nude of my wife when we were dating. I drew it on a corn dog wrapper while counting dump truck loads when we were dating. I had it put on my back after we had been married 10 years. My wife has most of her back done, that’s usually what she wants for Mothers Day.

9751B435-1592-43F5-AC7D-1E55E7B1B26B.jpeg
AACE9CEE-6612-4321-92DB-FA6B61E24585.jpeg

We have friends in town.. A young couple with 5 kids... He is manager of the local rafter, pre fab building plant.. She is a taxidermist and tattoo artist... Nicest couple you would ever want to meet.. Both with college degrees... They both are head to toe tattoos, piercings, and the big hoops in there ear lobes.. We, as an older couple, always stop to talk with them when we see them in a store or such.. Big hugs and hand shakes, like we were grandpa and grandma.. Catch up on what the kids and they are doing just like family...

She does a lot of goth art type things at events around town.. He has big snakes... When we were at the peak of our meat rabbit raising they would buy rabbits to feed snakes..

It is both a little funny and sad to see people do the second look and occasionally miss step when in the store.. At them and later at us occasionally...

How they will look and if there are issues with this when they are my age.... Yet to see...

Let me start by saying that it is your body and your choice. I am truly comfortable with that. Since you joined our family I'll tell you something that I'd never say to you as a customer walking into your place of business. if I saw a tattoo on somebody working a parts house I'd just roll my eyes and ignore it. If you were a professional I'd immediately have second thoughts. I'd never say a word, because it isn't my business, but I'd reconsider whether I wanted you making decisions for me.

The Indianapolis was sunk by the Japanese on 30 July 1945. the survivors tattooed the date on their forearms. Long before those survivors died that tattoo was illegible. That and other similar tattoos I understand but body art, not so much.

If you read or remember my post about a car being broken into and a woman's purse being stolen, this is a story I found when I was searching for information about the people involved in the purse theft. This is another group, crime group, who called themselves "The Sopranos." One guy had something relative to the Sopranos tattooed on his forehead. He probably used money from a theft to pay for the tattoo.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/10/08/denver-sopranos-theft-ring-indictment-grand-jury/
Sopranos tattoo.jpg

Last edited:
I do understand the thinking that a tattoo can mark a person in a negative light, but I generally don’t subscribe to that idea. That being said, I do not like face/head/neck tattoos, probably because of the association between that tat location and criminals. Unless it’s on a Viking, then it’s ok. 😆

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, just remember that judging a book by its cover could result in missed opportunities. 😉

Latest posts

Back