Tea

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Looking to do tea. We drink a lot of black iced tea. Would like to make our own. The more I read on tea the stronger my urge to make our own vs buying ready to go tea. Going to go to the nursery and see if they sell the tea plants before trying to buy one online in the heat.
I do have several different mints growing that I’d like to harvest and make tea for me from. Apple mint, chocolate mint, peppermint, spearmint and a regular mint or so it says. What’s your process for the mint? How do you know which leaves to harvest? Do you dehydrate them? How do you store them? Looking into making my own tea bags as well. Have to look more into the correct fabric and size etc still.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My mints especially are getting big and probably could use a good trimming/harvesting.

Tea plants are tropical. Would not grow well in most US climates. However, the US has one caffeine producing native plant called yaupon holly pronounced yo-pon. Frost hardy but I only found it from florida vendors. Too early to know how it will do here in Oregon. You can get leaves ready for tea online to try. Said to be like yerba mate.

Back