Teach me about "CRYSTALLIZED GINGER CHUNKS".....Please

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
First question.....and highest priority question is it dangerous to consume massive amounts of this product.....??? First I bought three pounds to see if I liked it. And I really like it. So I have been enjoying it, and even ordered another twelve pounds of it.

So I got to wondering what is this stuff really, and did a search about "Ginger Root" and learned that it can have serious side effects. But I don't know how much Ginger is actually in this product. There is no warning on the package. But the ingredients are "Ginger" and Cane Sugar in that order.

I will appreciate any wisdom offered. Before I wolf down three pounds at one setting.
https://nuts.com/driedfruit/crystallized-ginger/premium.html

I heard it can prevent or cure migraine headaches. Again, as in all things moderation is key.

It seems odd that if there was a danger, one would think there would be some type of warning on the package. The package "kind'a" markets it as a health food, or a health snack.

When I looked up "Ginger Root" it had a lot of different warnings, but it still was not clear where the line "Do not consume more then" existed.

See if you can find out online from the manufacturer how much ginger is in the snacks. I don't like ginger, but I've got a couple of bags of those sealed in food storage for my daughters who love ginger. To me, they look like dehydrated, sugared, jellied ginger snacks. They store well. Bought ours at Big Lots.

First question.....and highest priority question is it dangerous to consume massive amounts of this product.....??? First I bought three pounds to see if I liked it. And I really like it. So I have been enjoying it, and even ordered another twelve pounds of it.

So I got to wondering what is this stuff really, and did a search about "Ginger Root" and learned that it can have serious side effects. But I don't know how much Ginger is actually in this product. There is no warning on the package. But the ingredients are "Ginger" and Cane Sugar in that order.

I will appreciate any wisdom offered. Before I wolf down three pounds at one setting.

My freind swears by it! she had terrible stomach problems and doctors couldn't figure out what to do.She read about ginger and has been using it for at least ayear now maybe two. She chews on it off and on during day,no stomacj pains.

My daughter gave me a pack of Instant Tea Ginger Honey Crystals the other day to consider ordering for illness. It is not exactly the same thing as yours, but I looked on Amazon yesterday to find it, as she has stomach issues and drinks ginger ale and other things to help calm her stomach. I did see that there are a few varieties of ginger items by the same company. I ordered what I think is a two bag group of 30 packets each of the tea yesterday, to be delivered on Sunday.

Daughter said she cannot use a whole packet to make tea, so to be careful with it. I have had issues with ginger in the past, so I am very careful with using very little if and when I use it. Many years ago, I cooked something with ginger, which I no longer remember what, but I couldn't eat it. I avoided ginger for many years, but go very easy with it now.

This has gotten me to ponder many of the flavorings we use. We assume they are OK........dude, it is only a flavoring, no worries. But I was very surprised at what the search produced as to side effects, and interaction with prescribed medications, and other herbal thingies, etc.

I used candied ginger in scones and love it. I never ate enough to worry about and have never just eaten it "naked" except to sample. If I put it in a baked product, like cookies, I'd be more concerned with the number of cookies than the ginger. Then again I love cookies, I love ginger, I'd likely over indulge, and I'm diabetic.

My daughter gave me a pack of Instant Tea Ginger Honey Crystals the other day to consider ordering for illness. It is not exactly the same thing as yours, but I looked on Amazon yesterday to find it, as she has stomach issues and drinks ginger ale and other things to help calm her stomach. I did see that there are a few varieties of ginger items by the same company. I ordered what I think is a two bag group of 30 packets each of the tea yesterday, to be delivered on Sunday.

Daughter said she cannot use a whole packet to make tea, so to be careful with it. I have had issues with ginger in the past, so I am very careful with using very little if and when I use it. Many years ago, I cooked something with ginger, which I no longer remember what, but I couldn't eat it. I avoided ginger for many years, but go very easy with it now.

We ate Ginger Snap Cookies when I was a kid.

I did too, but I have made them a few times as an adult. I made some gluten free ones for my daughter a few years ago. Maybe it was the sugar in them, but the ginger did not overpower them.

WeedyI bet they were really good homemade. :thumbs:

Its just chunks of candied ginger. Ginger chunks coated in sugar, at least the stuff I have.

That is true.........but just for giggles do a search for Ginger Root and notice all the medical side effects, including interaction with prescription medications.

BOO WOO! I thought that we going to learn how to make "CRYSTALLIZED GINGER CHUNKS"!
I am going to try to rasie my own ginger & turmuic to complement the garlic, mushrooms, Elderberries & echinacea.
I thought it may be fun to preserve some of it in sugar instead of drying & pickling all of it.
But uncrystallized ginger is easier to make & healther too.

I had not received my order and no word from the company. I know people and companies are busy. I cancelled the order.

Benefits of Regular Ginger:
Help Ease:
Osteoarthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis
Headache
Nausea
Swelling
Lower blood sugar
Lower cholesterol
Protect against Alzheimers
Prevent blood clots
...if you eat less than 5 Grams per day.

More than 5 Grams per day:
Gas
Heartburn
Upset stomach
Mouth irritation
Skin rash

Ginger interacts with:
Blood thinners
Diabetes meds
High blood pressure meds

Crystallized ginger:
1.4 ounces = 1 serving
1 serving has 30 Grams sugar
1 serving has 31 Grams carbs

More sugar than a chocolate bar.

Make your own. It's relatively easy. 😁

The information above is from livestrong.com and webmd.com

Except the 'make your own' part. I said that. 😉

This is a recipe for crystallized ginger.

I have made it myself and I make pickled ginger. It is delicious, also.
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Crystallized-Ginger

Here is a recipe for pickled ginger:

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a78990/how-to-make-pickled-ginger/

Since I started this thread, I have done a lot of research. Finally got feedback from medical people. If you enjoy a lot of ginger......be careful.

Since I started this thread, I have done a lot of research. Finally got feedback from medical people. If you enjoy a lot of ginger......be careful.

Moderation. That's true with most things in life except a good bourbon! :)

Latest posts

Back