Tell us something about you we don't know

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might say that.
Got replaced as catcher, after some Medic plowed into me a couple of times.
Third time he did it for no reason, I cold cocked him.
He was out cold for about 15 or 20 minutes.

Good for you. Collisions at home plate do happen but deliberately crashing the catcher deserves some extra attention.

I collect toys.

Attachments

• 20180324_204514.jpg
    20180324_204514.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20180324_204530.jpg
    20180324_204530.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • 20180324_204625.jpg
    20180324_204625.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • 20180324_204653.jpg
    20180324_204653.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
Old cemeteries and old libraries are magnets for me. I can spend hours roaming around an old cemetery, looking at the headstones, and seeing what kind of stories I can get from so little information. The older cemeteries used to have a baby section. There are always several deaths around the time of the 1918 flu. One cemetery we visited a few days ago showed families lost several children right after birth. One family buried three of their babies once a year for three years. It was sad to see several of the babies weren't even named when they were buried.

I love the smell of an older library. That musty old book smell. Going up to the dimly lit second floor where they crammed in the bookcases so there's little room to turn around. There's nothing more relaxing than rummaging through the old reference section to see what was "new" back then.

I love the smell of an older library. That musty old book smell. Going up to the dimly lit second floor where they crammed in the bookcases so there's little room to turn around. There's nothing more relaxing than rummaging through the old reference section to see what was "new" back then.

I found an old book store in Nashville once. It had the ladders that moved on rails. I probably spent $1000 on old rare books at that store. It was a couple of doors down from the best "meat and 3" in Nashville where I used to get lunch. Once or twice a month I'd get lunch and then spend an hour at the old book store. It had that old book smell... ;)

Last edited:
In the very early 1990's the Federal Correctional Institution I worked at had just purchased some new fancy 486SX computers and dot matrix printers to begin replacing typewriters. They needed someone to take some tech classes to learn how to set them up, use them and then train people on their use. Since I was the youngest employee at age 19 (transport officer) I was the only one who had ever touched a computer, so I was selected by default. They had me take a class at a local college on computer set up and hardware repair, another one on networking and one on the new and amazing Microsoft Windows 3.0 and then Windows 3.1. They covered all costs and even paid me my hourly rate while I was at school.

That one event in my life lead to a position within the facility that lasted 2 years, eventually got me a college degree (from the same college the BOP sent me too), and I learned enough basic PC hardware knowledge that I have never purchased a pre-made computer. I have always assembled my own from parts and then upgraded them until it was time to build a new one. I also used to build and sell computers, mostly to family and friends, with just enough profit margin built in to save them money and cover the cost of my PC's.

In the very early 1990's the Federal Correctional Institution I worked at had just purchased some new fancy 486SX computers and dot matrix printers to begin replacing typewriters. They needed someone to take some tech classes to learn how to set them up, use them and then train people on their use. Since I was the youngest employee at age 19 (transport officer) I was the only one who had ever touched a computer, so I was selected by default. They had me take a class at a local college on computer set up and hardware repair, another one on networking and one on the new and amazing Microsoft Windows 3.0 and then Windows 3.1. They covered all costs and even paid me my hourly rate while I was at school.

That one event in my life lead to a position within the facility that lasted 2 years, eventually got me a college degree (from the same college the BOP sent me too), and I learned enough basic PC hardware knowledge that I have never purchased a pre-made computer. I have always assembled my own from parts and then upgraded them until it was time to build a new one. I also used to build and sell computers, mostly to family and friends, with just enough profit margin built in to save them money and cover the cost of my PC's.
My youngest son built his own computer for one of his college classes.
But he only turned it on to third power for the class.
See where this going yet. lol...
Teacher had him crank it up to full power otherwise it was a fail on final.
Yep, the school had a Brown out for three days.
Local Law enforcement wasn't happy either, messed with everything with in 100 miles.
But this is same son who thought he was on gaming site but come to find out he was on Air Force training site.
Yep he beat top squadron in what he thought was a game site.
He then told the Air Force how to close the back door, cause him and his buddies were beating the snot out of the Air Force for months.
Son was 16 years old at the time. He's 33 years old now.
He's building me a computer now.
No telling what kind of power it will have.
Oh, by the way it will be zap proof too.
I have seizures due to head injury in the military.

My first PC was an IBM PC Jr.
No hard drive just 2, 5 1/4" floppy disc, with a monochrome monitor.
The first PC I built was a 486, Windows 3.0, 8meg of RAM, multimedia upgrade with a 2 speed CD and 8 bit speakers, and a 15" color monitor.
All for the low, low price of $3200.
The RAM cost me $55 a megabit and the multimedia kit was another $500.
At the time it was the fastest thing available.
I couldn't bring myself to throw it away after it became obsolete.

I played catcher on my Army Unit baseball team for 3 seasons.
I played softball from 1977-2000 when the batter started to push me on second base :eek: I finally quit. I played first base and center field mostly first. I was a great ball player even if I say so myself.
Last time I played it was co-ed and I didn't like playing with the men. Some were lying and semi pro.
I would kid with pitchers, " whats wrong with ya, can't get granny out" I was not only the oldest person on my team but the oldest in the leaque. Of course by then I was in right field where I made mistake of diving for ball and landing hard.

Old cemeteries and old libraries are magnets for me. I can spend hours roaming around an old cemetery, looking at the headstones, and seeing what kind of stories I can get from so little information. The older cemeteries used to have a baby section. There are always several deaths around the time of the 1918 flu. One cemetery we visited a few days ago showed families lost several children right after birth. One family buried three of their babies once a year for three years. It was sad to see several of the babies weren't even named when they were buried.

I like the library too. I use to go check out arms full of history books studying ancient history for Bible study or just history of America ,etc, .

My first PC was an IBM PC Jr.
No hard drive just 2, 5 1/4" floppy disc, with a monochrome monitor.
The first PC I built was a 486, Windows 3.0, 8meg of RAM, multimedia upgrade with a 2 speed CD and 8 bit speakers, and a 15" color monitor.
All for the low, low price of $3200.
The RAM cost me $55 a megabit and the multimedia kit was another $500.
At the time it was the fastest thing available.
I couldn't bring myself to throw it away after it became obsolete.

My first PC was an IBM PS/ValuePoint 450DX2. Came with IBM OS Warp, a keyboard, mouse and a small color monitor. Was a used system but worked fine. I paid something like $400 cash for it out of a basement apartment of a tenement building. It was almost certainly obtained through less than legal means. I saw a hand written ad hanging up in the hallway of the college I was attending. After calling and setting up a time to meet the seller at his place, I walked into the living room to find 3 guys sitting on a sofa watching basketball on a television and one guy standing next to stacks of VCR's, computers, televisions, printers and stereos. One of the guys who was sitting, who never looked at me once, said "Everything works, I only take cash, no warranty, no refunds, no ********".

My first computer was a Radio shack model 1... It came with a tape drive and 4 Mb of RAM. I upgraded it to a level 2 with 16 Mb memory and a numeric keypad."More memory than you will ever need" is what the salesman said. I later added the expansion interface for 48Mb, modem, printer, and two 180K floppy drives. That adventure began in 1978. When the IBM compatibles came out I had to relearn everything.

My first computer was a Radio shack model 1... It came with a tape drive and 4 Mb of RAM. I upgraded it to a level 2 with 16 Mb memory and a numeric keypad."More memory than you will ever need" is what the salesman said. I later added the expansion interface for 48Mb, modem, printer, and two 180K floppy drives. That adventure began in 1978. When the IBM compatibles came out I had to relearn everything.

My radio is from Radio Shack. It has a tier on it so it goes off after we go to sleep.

:hippo:

Some of you may wonder why I like this emoji and put it on the forum. I did it for myself as it reminds me of the Dancing Hippos from the original movie "Fantasia".
All good, nothing strange. BUT, in 1994 while my daughter was ice dance training for Nationals and on the ice at 6am 4 mornings a week, I decided to take some ice skating lessons and a few other beginning lady ice skaters decided to do a comedy number in the upcoming local competition. We decided to be the hippos that danced to the music of that Hippo number from "Fantasia". We had a Prima ballerina hippo, with 4 corps de ballet hippos. I was in the corps de ballet. We wore grey sweat suits, tiara's and the Prima had a pull on white ballet tutu, and the corps had on pink ballet tutu's. We slaughtered that number, went over the time allowed, and the other group got first, but our group came in second.

The judges usually hated these types of numbers, but the judges this night laughed so hard they had tears coming down their faces.
The 5 of us, had young people coming up to us wanting to be a hippo and do this with us. The parents were still smiling.

My one and only time of competing in ice skating. 1994.

So, I love this hippo as it reminds me of that night.

Back