Tell us something about you we don't know

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hippo:

Some of you may wonder why I like this emoji and put it on the forum. I did it for myself as it reminds me of the Dancing Hippos from the original movie "Fantasia".
All good, nothing strange. BUT, in 1994 while my daughter was ice dance training for Nationals and on the ice at 6am 4 mornings a week, I decided to take some ice skating lessons and a few other beginning lady ice skaters decided to do a comedy number in the upcoming local competition. We decided to be the hippos that danced to the music of that Hippo number from "Fantasia". We had a Prima ballerina hippo, with 4 corps de ballet hippos. I was in the corps de ballet. We wore grey sweat suits, tiara's and the Prima had a pull on white ballet tutu, and the corps had on pink ballet tutu's. We slaughtered that number, went over the time allowed, and the other group got first, but our group came in second.

The judges usually hated these types of numbers, but the judges this night laughed so hard they had tears coming down their faces.
The 5 of us, had young people coming up to us wanting to be a hippo and do this with us. The parents were still smiling.

My one and only time of competing in ice skating. 1994.

So, I love this hippo as it reminds me of that night.

And her name is Joy!

i collect santa claus but hubby doesn't want me to leave it out all year so i just keep a couple out so i can look at them everyday and hope and pray that this world gets better by this christmas. i also collect and use blue cornflower corningware.:candycane::flyingaway::flyingaway::flyingaway::flyingaway:

I spent a few days (30) in jail at age 17 for doing 103 over (143 in a 40), lost my license for 2 years. When I moved from the north to TN (7-8 months later) I reapplied for a license and didn't say anything about it be suspended in 'the north' and got my TN license. It didn't catch up to me until I had been in the navy for nearly 2 years. Luckily since I had straightened my butt out and my parents knew a judge or two in the north they kind of did away with the whole scenario so it wouldn't mess up my clearance I was trying to get at the time. Still had to explain that one during my interview after the polygraph because I am a terrible liar I just told them everything! The interviewer had me polygraphed again because he though I was lying about the whole story. Afterwards we all got quite a few chuckles out of it and I finally ended up with the clearance that I no longer have or need!

EDIT: I don't think I am new but I have been a slacker and have not supplied my part on this thread yet!

My first computer was a slide rule. I wonder how many seventeen year olds could operate one. OK.......I likely could not operate one now.

LOL, the slide rule was my second computer, but the abacus was my first:

72696fdb-4bc3-4af3-a97b-e9592f2f3c90_1.fb40c97cdd4cdb9924b369d18b735ff8.jpeg

My first actual electronic computer used 8 inch floppy disks, they were the forerunner of the 5 .25 inch floppy disk, which was the forerunner of the 3.5 semi-floppy disk (had a hard plastic cover) and then we got hard drives. Oh happy days they were.

During the change from Unix to PC's I was working for Intergraph ( a hardware and software company) in 93 I was doing configuration control making sure there was only so much resistance on the PC with the add-ons. Those were the Clipper pc's with the clipper chip which Intel copied to make the Intel chips. Intergraph won that patent suit.

My first computer was a slide rule. I wonder how many seventeen year olds could operate one. OK.......I likely could not operate one now.

LOL, the slide rule was my second computer, but the abacus was my first:

72696fdb-4bc3-4af3-a97b-e9592f2f3c90_1.fb40c97cdd4cdb9924b369d18b735ff8.jpeg

My first actual electronic computer used 8 inch floppy disks, they were the forerunner of the 5 .25 inch floppy disk, which was the forerunner of the 3.5 semi-floppy disk (had a hard plastic cover) and then we got hard drives. Oh happy days they were.

I'm glad I'm not as old as y'all are.
blinky-smiley-face(1).jpg

:hippo:

Some of you may wonder why I like this emoji and put it on the forum. I did it for myself as it reminds me of the Dancing Hippos from the original movie "Fantasia".
All good, nothing strange. BUT, in 1994 while my daughter was ice dance training for Nationals and on the ice at 6am 4 mornings a week, I decided to take some ice skating lessons and a few other beginning lady ice skaters decided to do a comedy number in the upcoming local competition. We decided to be the hippos that danced to the music of that Hippo number from "Fantasia". We had a Prima ballerina hippo, with 4 corps de ballet hippos. I was in the corps de ballet. We wore grey sweat suits, tiara's and the Prima had a pull on white ballet tutu, and the corps had on pink ballet tutu's. We slaughtered that number, went over the time allowed, and the other group got first, but our group came in second.

The judges usually hated these types of numbers, but the judges this night laughed so hard they had tears coming down their faces.
The 5 of us, had young people coming up to us wanting to be a hippo and do this with us. The parents were still smiling.

My one and only time of competing in ice skating. 1994.

So, I love this hippo as it reminds me of that night.

Nice story and now I will know the story behind the hippo when I use it. Kinda like a saloon dance ,lol, but that could be my mind going back in time. :hippo::thumbs up:

My first computer was not a computer is was a laptop WebTV and I had never typed or used one till 2002 to email son in military.
I didn't even type in college much less grade school. I have a straight index finger that was cut off on my baby brothers glass baby bottle in 1953. No plastic back then of course. So I learned to hunt and peck. The more I frustrated members in forums the more they frustrated me and the worse my typing got. " get a speak and spell ,you ignorant old fool" they'd say, but some already didn't like my politics either,may have had something to do with impatience. I had a higher IQ than most of them so it didn't bother me.

I use to be a stanch Zionist. Till about 6 years ago when I studied more on the subject after being challenged by a board member on a political site that closed down 3 years ago when they took off the cuss filters. It got so vulgar most moral members left the site.
This guy was a Jew himself . We had lots of heated debates on the subject. There were a couple of really good musicians on there and he was one of them.
It was the site I learned to type on. One member on there threatened to kill me and called me every name in the book, that was scary. He had a mental problem. Even worse he got several likes on that post and he also got banned for a year for it by admins.
A year later when he came back he apologized to me so much it scared me.
About half there liked me.

I had a cat named Blackfoot, so my first forum I used his name for my user name. So after awhile after being mistaken for an indian one of the indians threatened me on WebMD forum when he said I lied about being indian! And after my 911 Bush insults he got likes too. So cliques and opposing views are dangerous sometimes.
Court TV forum was fun though. Thats where I met a woman I called Queen B She was famous owner trainer of KoKo gorrella. That woman was highly intelligent had huge vocabulary.

Latest posts

Back