TEOTWAWKI: Thoughts on Wild Game Populations

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some good points there.i didn't read all of it.but did scroll through it.and didn't. see anything about having to wait on hunting in urban area's. i believe it'd be in a person's best interest to wait at least 1 to 2 year's before going out to hunt.trap.fish to what ever.on account there will be other's out doing the same to take from other's. untill the die off bottom's out.in a TEOTWAWKI situation.

Great article, hiwall!

Relative to the 9 billion chickens you mentioned: I have often thought that they are probably one of the better animals to have in a SHTF situation, IF you have feed. They could be raised in urban areas, but from all of my reading of rural Nebraska history in search of my family, stealing chickens was not uncommon during rough times. The next step would be to be able to butcher it, which most city folks could not do. Heck, I've even known some rural people who have never cleaned a bird.

Cleaning deer and such: anyone who has ever been involved in butchering a deer realizes it is not for someone who has never done it before.

My brother had a bobcat hunting his chickens. He knew it was behind bush and emptied his .22 into that area. The problem with "hunting" domestic game is someone with a gun will not like your efforts.

Great article, hiwall!

Relative to the 9 billion chickens you mentioned: I have often thought that they are probably one of the better animals to have in a SHTF situation, IF you have feed. They could be raised in urban areas, but from all of my reading of rural Nebraska history in search of my family, stealing chickens was not uncommon during rough times. The next step would be to be able to butcher it, which most city folks could not do. Heck, I've even known some rural people who have never cleaned a bird.

Cleaning deer and such: anyone who has ever been involved in butchering a deer realizes it is not for someone who has never done it before.
Chickens are great,but I have also been looking into rabbits and guinea pigs. Regular pigs produce well but eat lots.

There are about 2 million wild deer in the UK, but most people are not hunters, 80% of the UK population are urban based and anti hunting and anti gun, post TEOTWAWKI is not the time to start learning to hunt and most would fail anyway.

There are about 2 million wild deer in the UK, but most people are not hunters, 80% of the UK population are urban based and anti hunting and anti gun, post TEOTWAWKI is not the time to start learning to hunt and most would fail anyway.
A growing problem in the U.S. is "Chronic Wasting Disease." Wisconsin seems to be the epicenter for it, but it is in many states. Deer and elk that are found to be infected are advised not to be eaten. How to test for it in a SHTF situation? I don't know. I also how many people never get their deer tested and eat them anyway? Probably many.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/chronic-wasting-disease.3581/

I know several hunters who think it's related to baiting. Deer don't naturally eat off the ground where parasites and such live but they will dig into the dirt for corn and eat dirt that has had salt washed down it to it from salt licks/blocks that are gone.

Last edited:
I wonder how badgers would endanger humans? By infecting other animals?
that is possible, I thought at one time it was confined to cloven hoofed animals but badgers have paws not hoofs.
it hasn't been proved whether the cattle give it to badgers or the badgers give it to cattle but they are often to be found in close proximity.

A growing problem in the U.S. is "Chronic Wasting Disease." Wisconsin seems to be the epicenter for it, but it is in many states. Deer and elk that are found to be infected are advised not to be eaten. How to test for it in a SHTF situation? I don't know. I also how many people never get their deer tested and eat them anyway? Probably many.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/chronic-wasting-disease.3581/
I expect Chronic Wasting Disease to continue to spread all across the USA eventually. At the last stages of the disease a hunter could very likely see that the animal was sick with something. Be up to the hunter to decide whether the meat was worth the risk to eat. In end times some hunters might use the tainted meat for barter. Buyer beware!

I expect Chronic Wasting Disease to continue to spread all across the USA eventually. At the last stages of the disease a hunter could very likely see that the animal was sick with something. Be up to the hunter to decide whether the meat was worth the risk to eat. In end times some hunters might use the tainted meat for barter. Buyer beware!
I agree. I expect it will be nationwide eventually. Until more is known about it, I am not so interested in eating venison, not that I have had much chance lately.

I love venison but mine is shot by someone else and checked before it enters the supply chain, we usually just buy a haunch or a leg for the freezer.

Supposedly it is not around where I am, yet. If I ever need to kill elk for food I would not hesitate and would only try to take a healthy looking one. If the meat meant our survival then anything that walked would be killed and eaten because what other choice would we have?

About half the population in Alaska lives in Anchorage. They built a fence around the airport to keep the game off the runway. I've see bear and moose wandering around town. A few years ago some guy was attacked by a moose while on the University campus.

some good points there.i didn't read all of it.but did scroll through it.and didn't. see anything about having to wait on hunting in urban area's. i believe it'd be in a person's best interest to wait at least 1 to 2 year's before going out to hunt.trap.fish to what ever.on account there will be other's out doing the same to take from other's. untill the die off bottom's out.in a TEOTWAWKI situation.

JimLE I agree. Mad Max meets Yosemite Sams shooting at anything that moves. :ghostly:

The rules of intelligent resource management would still apply, post SHTF. Take only males of a species wherever possible. Note the condition and numbers of the local wildlife population. Hunting practices may need to be self regulated, if one can obtain enough food in others ways, he/she may need to leave some game for the future. One thing to remember, is wild swine will go crazy. From about Kansas City southward, people better be whacking pigs every chance they get if SHTF. Otherwise, the pigs will be destroying the humans' food supplies...As for other game, I doubt many of our "citified" brothers and sisters will be able to do much with the wild critters. They would probably try to walk up and pet them...

Latest posts

Back