TEOTWAWKI: Thoughts on Wild Game Populations

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
post SHTF I shall be waiting until the "die off" off the sheeple is complete until I roam very far.
my wild game requirements will be small game and wild fowl as my group will be small in number.

The rules of intelligent resource management would still apply, post SHTF. Take only males of a species wherever possible. Note the condition and numbers of the local wildlife population. Hunting practices may need to be self regulated, if one can obtain enough food in others ways, he/she may need to leave some game for the future.
That would be a great idea unless you are starving.
Also as soon as there is very much hunting pressure the big game will make themselves very hard to find. In most places that happens now during regular hunting seasons.

. In most places that happens now during regular hunting seasons.

That's because Fish and Game give them calendars that tell them when to hide. Won't see hide or hair of an elk during elk season but the day after they are camped out in the front yard having a party.

I will be raising guinea pigs, ducks and pigeon.

A adult meat breed pigeon like King pigeons only require 2 tablespoons of feed per day.
They incubate their own young and will lay a second clutch of eggs while feeding young from a previous clutch.
I know quail get a lot of air time about how they area good homestead animal but I don't see why when they need an incubator
to reproduce.

Ducks lay when it's really hot and when it's really cold unlike chickens.
I can have drakes here where I can't have roosters.
Ducks will be a very good source of fat which is hard to produce on a very small piece of land.

Rabbits are banned in this state so I'm raising guinea pigs for meat.
They aren't as productive as rabbits and breeding isn't advised during the killing heat of summer.
I have had females abort young and die when they were accidently bred at the wrong time of the year.

I live 2 blocks away from the Great Barrier Reef.
Fish will be on the menu.

There isn't any game here but there's a lot of two legged vermin.
I ain't eating them.

we have 5 wood pigeon that come to our "feeding station" in the garden every morning, regular as clockwork!!

Latest posts

Back