Thanksgiving tips, recipes and help!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This is probably a little late for this, but today there are some great ideas going around.

I had pumpkin pie from Costco a couple years and thought it was the best pumpkin pie I had ever had. I heard someone else say that this week as well. Their pumpkin pie is large and can easily be cut into 8 pieces and still be decent sized pieces of pie.

I like to have a vegetable platter made up before I start cooking because it is a way for me to get veggies in before all the carbs come along. I saw these today and thought they looked great.

Thanksgiving veggie platter.jpg
Thanksgiving veggie platter.jpg2.jpg
Thanksgiving veggie platter.jpg3.jpg
Thanksgiving veggie platter.jpg4.jpg

C’mon big dawg, think of the fun you’ll have guttin’ that bird right in front of them...

That would be fun, but vegan's never seem to come to my house. Perhaps it's because I usually serve meat with side of meat.

That would be fun, but vegan's never seem to come to my house. Perhaps it's because I usually serve meat with side of meat.
Daughter had a lot of pressure from her friends to be a vegan. She tried, much like I tried to be a vegetarian once. I would go to buy some food, read the ingredients multiple times, think it was vegan, buy it, bring it home and for her to tell me that there was something in it that wasn't vegan. I was so glad she gave up trying to be a vegan.

In my entire adult like I have never had a friend or relative who was a vegan, but I did have an employee a few years back who was a 'vegetarian' because his girlfriend insisted he be one. I would often find him in the break room with a 20 pack of chicken nuggets, then he would go brush his teeth.

The biggest thing for a vegetarian is the side dishes, and don't worry about substituting the turkey. So for sides, don't use chicken broth or cream of chicken in anything. Replace with vegetable broth and cream of mushroom. So, for gravy, I make turkey gravy for us. And daughter gets white gravy made with vegetable broth.
I won't even try vegan. I'd just give them a salad. Vegans: no eggs, no cheese, no butter. Hardly anything to use to bake with. Wow....no deviled eggs for vegans.

The biggest thing for a vegetarian is the side dishes, and don't worry about substituting the turkey. So for sides, don't use chicken broth or cream of chicken in anything. Replace with vegetable broth and cream of mushroom. So, for gravy, I make turkey gravy for us. And daughter gets white gravy made with vegetable broth.
Yes, a vegetarian can show up to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner and eat mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, some vegetable dishes, cranberries, pie. Dishes can be adapted without too much effort. We never have green bean casserole, but will do fresh green beans one of a few possible ways. Daughter is a foodie and cooks more gourmet, so most of her side dishes are better than the average. She always wants corn, so that is another thing a vegetarian could eat.

Vegetarian cooking is not hard. Ever hear of no meat Monday's? Not hard. Many things that we cook now are vegetarian, such as eggs, cheesy cauliflower soup, potato salad, hummus, cheese pizza, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, grilled cheese. Vegan is a whole other story!

I have a cousin who has been a vegetarian for more than 40 years. When we have family gatherings, she just eats sides and adapts. She has rheumatoid arthritis and eats the Mediterranean diet which she claims has helped her so much she no longer takes medication for her RA. Another cousin used to have her own commercial cleaning company and the chemicals she used have damaged her. Her joints show the damage. There are many foods that make her sick when she consumes them. The list of food that she can eat that won't make her ill is very small. At uncle's funeral, she ate raw broccoli that she brought with her. I am so sure she is not eating anything at a traditional Thanksgiving meal.

When we used to go out for pizza my wife would always order the gourmet vegetarian because she loved all the toppings. But we would always order it with Canadian bacon just to make sure the waitress didn't think we were vegetarians. Around here that's like going in to a bar with a turban and a death to America shirt. :D:p:cool: Funny thing is that now the gourmet CB vegetarian is now a regular menu item.

Be sure the turkey it still frozen when placed in the vat of 350F oil. If the turkey is defrosted and well drained there will be no explosion and grease fire. It is really boring! ;)

Please don't take the advice given! It will cause injury or death to all people within the blast radius!

Does anyone deep fry your Thanksgiving turkey? There are probably many videos out there by someone deep frying their turkey.

I have always wanted to, but have been to too many house fires because of it to give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back