That mustard sauce on Sardines.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
You know that mustard sauce on canned Sardines. How do I make that. Or purchase a mustard sauce that tastes close enough.

Are you going to can sardines?? Or you just want the right mustard sauce to have with your fresh sardines? Do you have fresh sardines?
This is a slight thread derailment because it has been on my mind. A few months ago someone here said something about tuna in a can and wondered if it was raw. No, it is not raw, they have to cook it to can it. Okay, that's out of the way.
I used to eat canned sardines with the mustard, on saltines. My kids said no, then I told them I'd take their photo eating sardines and send it to the sardine company if they'd eat the sardines. Well they ended up liking sardines! I don't think the sardine company ever did respond.

I eat sardines. But only rarely. I have never seen nor heard of putting mustard on them. Interesting. I wonder if it's a regional thing, or just something that only the more frequent sardine eaters know about.

I’ve never seen sardines in mustard sauce around here—only olive oil. is this something like what you’re talking of.

IMG_0336.jpeg

based on the ingredients listed on the back of the can, this might be worth trying

MUSTARD-DILL SAUCE​

• 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

• Parsley: a handful of fresh or a teaspoon of dried.
  • Dijon Mustard recommended, I'd start with a tablespoon and a half.
  • Lemon Juice: Maybe 1/2 tsp or less.
  • Oil: Avocado oil or olive oil, maybe 1/2 tsp.
  • Garlic: Garlic fresh clove, pressed. Or a light dash or two of powdered.
  • Salt, And Pepper: Season to your liking.
I add honey and sesame seeds to my fish sauce, but I don't use mustard. Guess that's next on the menu.
Ya gotta start somewhere, start small. @Sourdough

Sardines in Mustard Sauce​

A little piquant mustard really enhances the flavor of our sardines—perfect for a delicious snack.

1686747195092.png

I really want to like sardines and I try them every once in a while but I just can’t. I’ve tried them in oil, water, mustard. Nope. 😩

Have you tried them on a Saltine cracker? I like the ones packed in the mustard the best.

I really want to like sardines and I try them every once in a while but I just can’t. I’ve tried them in oil, water, mustard. Nope. 😩
Rinse them in hot water, add mushroom chunks, and make a kipper omelet.
Drizzle it in REAL hot sauce, not the crap it's canned in.
any other way is meow-chow.
Side note, I'm feeding a sick kitten sardines, he won't nurse, but he's all over the fishiness.

The easiest way to store mustard is buy mustard seeds and store them whole. You can grind them and make your own mustard. The variations are endless. Even the temperature of the water you use affects how hot or mild the your mustard sauce turns out.

3 types of seed available.

Yellow (or White) Mustard Seeds: These are the most widely available and most popular.

Brown Mustard Seeds: These are more pungent that yellow mustard seeds and are quickly gaining popularity.

Black Mustard Seeds: These are more popular in Indian, Asian and Middle Eastern cooking, though they are also gaining popularity in the U.S. They are also quite pungent and personally recommended.

I experimented a few months with the different seeds and recipes. I bought a few pounds of each type. Then I stored the seed just like any grain, sealed in mylar, remove the oxygen with any method you prefer.

A few recipes...

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/...ipes/how-to-make-homemade-mustard-the-basics/
https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a85934/how-to-make-mustard/
Available on amerzit.

mustard.jpg

Found my photo of a couple bags of mustard seed I bought. I also buy cinnamon bark and grind my own cinnamon. Both can be stored long term.

Also make my own Mayo in summer when I use more, not hard. Recommend getting a stick blender though, makes it easier. Bought corks for bottles too.

Corks Preps 4 a.JPG

I’ll give it a try. I just eat them out of the can. Yesterday I made tuna salad. Could I use sardines instead of tuna for that?
Try them in a simple tomato/lettuce salad, rinsed in a light mayonnaise, and cracked pepper dressing.
1/2 cup of mayo.
1/2 cup of cold water.
a good shot of white vinegar.
1/2 a tablespoon of cracked black pepper.
a pinch of dill seed.

A glop of straight mayo ain't bad either! ;)

Latest posts

Back