The “Carnivore” Diet: Only Meat-Eaters Need Apply

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://misanthrope.today/2020/01/03/the-carnivore-diet-only-meat-eaters-need-apply/

The “Carnivore” Diet: Only Meat-Eaters Need Apply

It’s arguably the most politically incorrect diet on the planet. But forget about how it sounds. Does it actually work?

The obvious “up” side of the Carnivore Diet — the latest fad sweeping the nation, especially among men — is that it bans carb products as well as snacks and sodas and most lactose products. Other restrictive high-protein diets like Paleo, argue for reduced carbs, but Carnivore is truly hard-core — no carbs of any kind are allowed.

And it’s not just carbs. Carnivore bans on all fruits and nuts — and even vegetables. Some fruits, like bananas, are indeed fattening, but they offer real benefits — potassium, for one. Some nuts are fattening, too, but they’re loaded with nutrients and anti-oxidants. Carnivore bans them all.

Under Carnivore, even consumption of coffee and tea is strongly discouraged. Why? Because they are plant-based products. Water or bone broth are the only allowable liquids for true devotees of this diet.

We’re talking caveman here. The real question is whether you can eat only beef, fish, poultry and eggs and lose weight and stay healthy. Is a high-protein, no-carb diet all that good for you?

Available research suggests that it is, in fact. A number of studies published since 2008 have shown that an increase in protein, especially when combined with reduced carb intake, will result in significant weight loss. Part of the way the process works is that eating high-protein foods provides a stronger feeling of being “satiated or “filled up” by a meal, reducing the perceived need to eat more.

In theory, a potential downside of the Carnivore Diet — since it’s based exclusively on animal foods — is that it can be high in saturated fat. It’s long been thought that saturated fat raises your LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol), which, in turn, increases your risk of heart disease.

However, recent studies have shown that high consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol is not strongly linked to a higher risk of heart disease. So this downside may well be overstated, in fact.

The lack of fiber in the Carnivore diet concerns some dieticians because fiber is thought to facilitate healthy digestion. And so does the lack of vegetables, which contain some vitamin sources you can’t find in meat. But there’s also evidence that some vegetables, especially those with lectins, can contribute to inflammation, so Carnivores may well have a valid point.

For some individuals, the traditional idea of consuming “balanced” food groups may not be as healthy as it sounds. But for others, an over-reliance on protein could be harmful.

In the end, as with so many fads of this kind, there’s simply not much good research available on the long-term effects of a Carnivore Diet. For now, one has to rely on anecdotal accounts, and invariably those are mixed, depending on the individual. So far, no one seems to have rejected the Carnivore diet, having tried it. But a growing number of people, including some ex-vegetarians, are beginning to come out in favor of it.

In early December, a YouTube video posted by an avowed “vegan influencer,” Alyse Parker, showed her eagerly gobbling on beef and extolling the virtues of the Carnivore Diet. “I woke up feeling more mentally clear, focused, wholesome, and healthy than I had felt in years,” she proclaimed.

It caused an overnight sensation. The video has already received nearly a half-million views in just over three weeks’ time. A number of other videos, usually featuring men, have been watched by millions.

There are also a few high-profile celebrity endorsers fueling the Carnivore trend. The most notable is Mikhaila Peterson, the daughter of renowned clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson. Peterson claims she overcomes her autoimmune disorders, brain fog, depression, anxiety, and fatigue by cutting everything out of her diet except beef.

Most Carnivore dieters swear by it, and its popularity is growing, according to surveys. Testimonials from those that have shed dozens of pounds — often more than a hundred, and fairly rapidly — abound. And the fact is, critics haven’t found all that much about Carnivore to carp about, other than to suggest that killing animals is immoral or that the diet might be unduly restrictive, and therefore, difficult for some to sustain.

My advice? If nothing else has worked, you might want to try it. You don’t have to fast, just focus on eating meat. And maybe throw in an apple or baked potato now and then. Or even a milkshake as a reward. We can’t all be hard-core. Live a little. `

Just don’t tell another diehard caveman — or woman — about it.

It brushed on one point but did not actually state it. Humans can live on animal fat alone and be healthy (Inuits did so until they were "discovered.") The liver can make protein or sugar (carbs) out of fat or use it as a fat. Out of protein, it can use it as protein or convert it to sugar. Sugar (carbs) can only be used as sugar or stored for later (which is why so many struggle w/ weight.) If they are eating only meat, they should be sure it is well marbled and they should also consume the fat and offals. The bad cholesterol is a reaction to too many carbs so without carbs, the point is null.

I like meat, but after a while a slice of bread starts to look and sound REALLY yummy. I did Atkins long ago, carb restricted diet. It worked, but the human body adapts and now I am all fluffy again.

And this is why when the Mrs. got me on keto she said it was FOREVER! And that was around 6 years ago. Other than Christmas time I don't even have a desire for them.

Well I ran across a book titled

The Carnivore Code

The doc that wrote it went into everything. I mean from human brain size to spices.

It is a very good read and available as an audio book too. I am following this currently. I am going to try using only salt to season the meat because everything else is plant based.

As he says in the book, plants don't want to be eaten. Because of this they create toxins to protect themselves. That is one reason that ruminants only eat so much of one thing.

Like peach, plum and apricot seeds are toxic. Not the fruit but the seed. Kale and broccoli are not the superfoods people think they are.

He also goes in depth to explain epidemiological vs observational studies and how 90% of them are epidemiological because observational is way more expensive.

Although I have been losing weight all over, I noticed it first in the shins and forearm areas. Very little fat on them now. Thighs and upper arms are much leaner too.

It seems to work from the extremities inward. I have lost from around the middle but that is going to take longer. I have learned that it is fairly cheap to eat this way.

Anyhow, I started on carnivore 6 months ago at 322 pounds. I am now down to 260 with a goal of being under 200.

I've noticed the same. I see the muscles in my arms again, and the veins in my forearms. My waist is smaller but my love handles and gut are stubborn. Being diabetic causes the body to store weight around the middle. It's the last to go.
As long as it goes. I will be 52 in a few days and I have yet to lift a weight or run even a foot to get this weight off

Exercise is very important for overall health and vitality. Lean muscle mass does a lot for out health and longevity too. It is however not really important for weight loss. As Dr. Jason Fung (an expert in fasting) says "You can run full speed for an hour and allegedly burn off a donut, or you can just not eat the donut".

Well all you meat lovers remember one thing,no two thing, first off it's not the' Ranch Of Eden ' 2nd the oldest living person on earth so far was a French woman who lived to be 120 years old. She said her biggest weakness was French pasteies and she loved sugary foods. Of course there were few GMO,hormone filled foods in her lifetime.
I rhink its the genes, exercise and moderation.
But then there is also people who live extra long in parts of the world who live mostly on meat.

Not to mention every human throughout time from Cain & Abel through Teddy Roosevelt.

Japanese eat very little meat mostly a little fish and thy are the longest living most healthy people on the planet or were till their kids got turned onto MCdonalds.
Of course they are also not crazy about western medicine or its recent flambouant culture. They seem to use more natural cures an planrs to heal but also like us do have
some great doctors too.

Well all you meat lovers remember one thing,no two thing, first off it's not the' Ranch Of Eden ' 2nd the oldest living person on earth so far was a French woman who lived to be 120 years old. She said her biggest weakness was French pasteies and she loved sugary foods. Of course there were few GMO,hormone filled foods in her lifetime.
I rhink its the genes, exercise and moderation.
But then there is also people who live extra long in parts of the world who live mostly on meat.
Of course it is not the ranch of Eden, the critters need to have something to eat.

Japanese eat very little meat mostly a little fish and thy are the longest living most healthy people on the planet or were till their kids got turned onto MCdonalds.
Of course they are also not crazy about western medicine or its recent flambouant culture. They seem to use more natural cures an planrs to heal but also like us do have
some great doctors too.

Yeah, people love to make that claim and it is true, or WAS true. But it is/was due to both a diet high in protein from a variety of sources and tons of natural vegetables as well as physiological, culture, and dozens of other factors.

Yeah, people love to make that claim and it is true, or WAS true. But it is/was due to both a diet high in protein from a variety of sources and tons of natural vegetables as well as physiological, culture, and dozens of other factors.

Yes that is also true. Whatever works ror you Sentry and keeps you healrhy,I think your a swell guy, well most of the time,JK. Plus your a good mental sparring partner,keep me on my toes.:huggs:

Here is a very good video with two doctors talking about eating carnivore

I'll watch this one later,right now up and down cleaning food delivery from yesterday.
She put it all on porch while we hid inside,lol..We went out bleah rag in hand and took 2hours ro germacide it all and put it on spiral staiecase to dry good,now it time to wash,vinagar fruits,vegies. I just had grapes I sanatized.

Well, for those that do not like liver I found another way to hide it in your meals.

I had some leftover steak from last night and some liver that needed to be cooked. I cooked the liver then chopped up both the liver and steak. Then I scrambled 6 eggs and made a liver and steak omelet with shredded cheese.

It was very hard to discern the liver in there. I used probably 6 oz of liver in the omelet.

Now I can see me doing the same thing in other dishes such as taco meat or just plain burger. I found a place that will grind 1/3 each liver, heart and kidney together. I can add that to burger or add fat to that for burgers.

One way or another this is going to make me a better cook.

20200419_165249.jpg

Hamburger crust pizza. Once again I did not measure.

1 lb burger
1/3 lb sausage
Oregano
Italian seasoning
Grated parmesan
1 egg
Crushed pork rinds

Then after cooking the crust in the oven pull out and drain all the water/grease. Top with pizza sauce and any toppings you like.

This turns out to be the breakfast of champions too. Awesome taste.

I believe that this is working for me. Over the last few weeks I have had instances of lightheadedness, blurry vision and a heart beats become more noticeable. All of this seems to be pointing to low blood pressure. Which is both good and bad. The bad is you can pass out and the good is that I may be able to come off my blood pressure medication. Have to get a blood pressure monitor so I can take it when these things happen.

Oh and my blood sugars are now back below 100 where they belong.

Deep fried a porterhouse today. OMG did it turn out great. One hint, season after cooking because it washes off. Only took about 2 minutes to cook to medium rare. Nice crust on it too.

This is going to be kinda long. I started eating carnivore on the 10th of May when my blood sugar hit 320. I have lost about 10 pounds, but the best thing is that this morning is the first time my blood sugar has been below 100 first thing in the morning. It was at 91.

There have been a few ups and downs along the way. I have discovered a few things along the way that I cannot eat without spiking my blood sugar. Brats are one example, this really spiked my blood sugar. Guess I need to make my own.
All in all, 50 days from 320 to 91. I have been under 100 but always at night. The blood sugar dropped dramatically for the first 15 days then leveled off between 100 and 150 unless I discovered something that had unknown carbs. Brats, hard salami, pepperoni. Not all show up as carbs. Dextrose is one of them and used in a lot of foods.

I am very pleased with the results. I am not nor was I on any meds for diabetes. I was supposed to me but I had already learned enough to figure out that I was not going to take them. I did do one 48 hour and one 72 hour fast. Other than that it was one meal a day.

Another thing is that you need to pay attention to your body and the signals it sends to you. With me I can tell when my blood sugars go over 110 and even more pronounced the higher it goes. My toe next to my big toe loses feeling. I cant feel my toes rubbing together. Yes I have checked this with my meter.

So I say again, pay attention to what your body is telling you. It may not be loud but it does give warnings. The numb toes are a whisper and a heart attack is a scream. Listen to the whispers from your body, no not the ones in your head🤣

This is going to be kinda long. I started eating carnivore on the 10th of May when my blood sugar hit 320. I have lost about 10 pounds, but the best thing is that this morning is the first time my blood sugar has been below 100 first thing in the morning. It was at 91.

There have been a few ups and downs along the way. I have discovered a few things along the way that I cannot eat without spiking my blood sugar. Brats are one example, this really spiked my blood sugar. Guess I need to make my own.
All in all, 50 days from 320 to 91. I have been under 100 but always at night. The blood sugar dropped dramatically for the first 15 days then leveled off between 100 and 150 unless I discovered something that had unknown carbs. Brats, hard salami, pepperoni. Not all show up as carbs. Dextrose is one of them and used in a lot of foods.

I am very pleased with the results. I am not nor was I on any meds for diabetes. I was supposed to me but I had already learned enough to figure out that I was not going to take them. I did do one 48 hour and one 72 hour fast. Other than that it was one meal a day.

Another thing is that you need to pay attention to your body and the signals it sends to you. With me I can tell when my blood sugars go over 110 and even more pronounced the higher it goes. My toe next to my big toe loses feeling. I cant feel my toes rubbing together. Yes I have checked this with my meter.

So I say again, pay attention to what your body is telling you. It may not be loud but it does give warnings. The numb toes are a whisper and a heart attack is a scream. Listen to the whispers from your body, no not the ones in your head🤣
Much of what you wrote concurs perfectly with my experience as a type 1 diabetic. The body does give subtle hints as to what is happening inside it. The problem is that you have to be able to identify and correctly interpret what those hints mean. High and low blood sugar levels often mimic each other. I've been surprised many times when I thought I "felt low", only to discover that my BG was over 200.

You are also quite correct that foods can react in the body quite differently than what the labels say should happen. Popcorn is one for me that doesn't raise my sugar as much as it should. Protein bars raise it much higher than the amount of total carb on the label should raise it. Strangely, plain old meat (by itself) will raise it quite a bit if I don't take any insulin, but it only takes a little insulin to keep it regulated, and it's nearly impossible for me to know how much I'll need, so I don't eat no carb meals very often. The carnivore diet just isn't in the cards for me.

The other day I made some avocado oil mayo and it came out great. Today I decided to try my hand at bacon mayo using bacon grease.

The first attempt did not work as the fats did not emulsify and was left with basically a soup. All the "experts" say it is ruined and to start over. I refused to believe that so I added two yolks and nothing.

Then I decided to start over but did not throw out my soup. This time I used a jar and an immersion blender not a bowl and whisk. I did not get more bacon grease, I used my soup.

It came out amazing and here is the result.

20200525_162613.jpg

I hope that bacon grease was not from commercially produced cured bacon.

Back