The Benefits of Doing 50 Pushups Every Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As I get older I find myself less interested in pushing up iron plates, but equally as interested in staying in good shape. So far I have transitioned from heavy lifting in the gym, to using my Bowflex at home combined with activities such as push ups, planking, hitting the heavy bag, walking, hiking, stair climbing (literally), etc. This article makes a good case for the push ups.

https://mdcreekmore.com/what-are-the-benefits-of-doing-50-pushups-every-day/

What are The Benefits of Doing 50 Pushups Every Day?
Reading Time: 8 minutes
What-are-The-Benefits-of-Doing-50-Pushups-Every-Day.jpg

The most practical benefit of doing pushups every day is that you will gain functional strength for your body. The muscles that the pushup works – your core, your triceps and biceps along with the deltoids – are often the most used body parts each day.

Functional activities such as lifting boxes, carrying objects or other activities become easier as you learn to activate all of the various muscle parts of your body. These muscles are strengthened because they are activated as a means of support for performing the actual physical act of a pushup. From an aesthetic perspective, someone with a strong upper body and abdomen can appear very fit.

There are very few exercises that activate and strengthen multiple muscle groups, and the pushup is definitely one of the best of them. Compound exercises, performed in ways such as 50 pushups a day, force your heart to work harder.

The heart must not only pump blood to fuel the arm and its movement downward but also pump blood into your abdomen’s muscles. The continuous pumping of the heart improves cardiovascular endurance and can have very tangible effects such as reducing body fat or improving heart health.

There is much discussion as to why the push up is more difficult to execute than a regular bench press motion. After all, one might argue that there is a similar movement going on between both motions.

The stretching of the back muscles and the tricep work together in a functional “stretch” of each muscle. When are you doing 50 pushups a day, you might feel a strange click or movement inside these muscles as you perform the exercise. While alarming at first, this is a beneficial move for your functional strength as it prevents injuries from occurring along with providing an aesthetic of strength.

What is the difference between doing pushups versus free weights?
doing-pushups-versus-free-weights.jpg

In order to delineate the difference, one must first establish what a push up is. When you do 50 pushups a day, it is important that you obey proper form techniques in order for the movement to be successful.

Most people, when preparing to do pushups, will get on their knees and put their hands on the floor or some kind of surface to provide stability. The main goal of the pushup exercise is to create a flat, parallel movement to the ground which works each of the aforementioned muscles.

After placing your hands in front of you, ensure they are positioned shoulder-width apart and form a ninety-degree angle to the ground. While it is commonly disputed as to what exact position you must bend your arms, move them downwards while keeping your back in as straight a line as possible without your pelvis touching the ground.

After getting your arms to around 45 degrees, you can begin to withdraw from the position by “pushing yourself back up”. When you perform 50 pushups a day, it is important to check for form on each repetition.

This exercise as described has some very inherent limitations. The muscle groups that are worked are solely within the exercise, such as your arms – the triceps, the biceps, deltoids – and the abdomen. You cannot simultaneously engage lower body muscles such as calves, quadriceps or other groups that need to be worked on.

Free weights are superior to pushups in this sense because there are expansive compound exercises that allow you to work the entire body.

Furthermore, the exercise does not allow you to carry more than your body weight. As you perform your 50 pushups a day, you are working against gravity in order to strengthen your corresponding muscles. Without free weights, the only resistance you will fight is your body weight.

This can sometimes prevent those with well-built strength from being able to continue to grow.

What should I expect after doing 50 pushups a day for a month?
When you perform 50 pushups a day for a month, you will have worked that muscle group for 30 days. If you have not done 50 pushups for a day in a long time, it is likely that you will see tremendous benefits. Consider the logic of such a statement – if you have not worked a muscle before, it is likely that the strange movement your body perceives will shock it into action.

In the first month, you might see extended weight loss around the deltoid, tricep and bicep region. Many obese and heavily stocked individuals often have fat that is concentrated in these areas, so it will improve your overall aesthetic and image of yourself.

Furthermore, you should be able to see at least some marked improvements in functional strength over this time.

When you do 50 pushups a day for a month, you will also be working a muscle that you have not worked before. The body does not typically respond well to being put into positions where this is the case. One might feel tremendous soreness in the upper body and abdomen area for some time in the first week.

After a few weeks, your body should be able to get used to the resistance or force being put onto these areas and eliminate the overstress that leads to soreness.
It is important to mention that repetitions may often bring about physical or mental fatigue.

At times, despite having run a good set of 50 pushups the day before, you might quickly grow tired of the exercise. In other cases, you might feel that you can run through the 50 pushups without a problem.

Solutions for these problems can include executing the proper form, but at a quicker tempo, or increasing resistance by loading free weights as you perform the exercise. If you are fatigued, consider shorter bursts of 5 sets of 10 pushups in order to meet your goal. The shorter bursts will help you focus on your exercises,

What should I expect after doing 50 pushups a day for a year?
You might encounter many of the same problems for a month when you do 50 pushups a day for a year. More often than not, the body will end up getting used to the repetitions and the corresponding force. One solution for doing 50 pushups a day for a year is to increase the volume that you do each day.

The only time that this should be your solution is if you are performing the exercise with the proper form and you do not feel physically fatigued or at risk of injury. Increasing tempo or resistance in the exercise can also go above and beyond the traditional route of doing 50 pushups a day for a year.

One might be intrigued by this option if they are bored or mentally fatigued, as it requires increased focus in order to prevent back damage. Often, many who perform 50 pushups a day will drop in form so changing up how you train each muscle group can be worthwhile.

The human body is notoriously slow. One can eat a lot of food and eventually gain the same amount of weight in a few days that they lost in a month.

By doing 50 pushups a day for a year, you are encouraging your body to produce human growth hormone. You are working with several muscle groups for the primary exercise as well as stability. When you engage a lot of muscle groups, you will release human growth hormones into the rest of your body.

Muscle building can be particularly difficult for older men and women, as HGH production tends to decline as opposed as to the high prevalence in young adults.

It is recommended that one continues to add other exercises to their regimen so as to not exclusively limit themselves to one muscle group. As a reminder, the muscle groups worked are mainly upper body and abdomen areas. By utilizing free weights, one might be able to execute other exercises for other muscle groups to promote holistic muscle growth over one year.

What To Do if You Can’t Do It Right Away?
If you cannot do pushups right away, it is okay. Many people are often heavily or morbidly obese, and it would be illogical to expect their arms to be able to hold up or stabilize a large amount of mass. Many experts recommend an abbreviated form of the pushup, where the person executing the exercise is on their hands and knees, rather than stabilizing their lower body with their feet.

Even doing 50 pushups a day with this exercise to begin will build up strength. The feet typically stabilize the abdomen, so there should be a renewed focus on ensuring that as you rock forward from your knees, you are contracting your abdomen or can feel the movement.

By simulating the upper part of the exercise, you are able to perform the exercise at a lower angle for increased ease. Many people, after building up strength by performing the exercise with this form, are able to graduate into regular form pushups as described in earlier sections.

It is important to take caution in how you perform these exercises because if you do not execute them with proper form or neglect to notice when an injury may occur, you can have significant issues with performing everyday activities.

I'm not sure I could have done 50 push-ups when I was young and in shape. I can remember doing 25 pushups during football practice with helmet and pads on. I can remember doing "diamond" pushups too, and at one time I could do one or two one armed pushups. But that was a long time ago and this body has a lot of hard miles on it now...

I'm not sure I could have done 50 push-ups when I was young and in shape. I can remember doing 25 pushups during football practice with helmet and pads on. I can remember doing "diamond" pushups too, and at one time I could do one or two one armed pushups. But that was a long time ago and this body has a lot of hard miles on it now...
I been waiting for that.
I am so exhausted from listening to hunk-a-licious 20-something year-old freshies telling us old people that all we need is just some more exercise. Just do like me:dancing:.

Let me put this in context.
You take your 35-year-old worn-out car with 360,000 miles on it down to the mechanic.
You tell him that the suspension is shot, it makes creaking and groaning noises and wanders all over the road when you drive it. It also leaks oil, smokes, barely has enough power to go uphill, and is almost impossible to start in the morning.
"Can you help me?"

Twit: Sure! You just need to drive it more every day:D!
idiot.gif

Last edited:
My boss is 55 years old, he goes to the gym at 5am approx. 4x a week to lift weights, last summer he did 39 push ups on the PT test. And that man has a whole lot of hard miles on him. He did not stop at 39 because he could not keep going, he stopped at 39 because doing so gave him a "Superior" rating, and that was all he was after.

As is the case with most law enforcement agencies, we used the Cooper Test or Cooper Standard for PT testing. As a 48 year old male the minimum passing score for me on pushups is 24. Any less and I am put into remediation. I had to do 40 push ups to make Superior (which I did) and I have to reach 64 push ups to make it the "Elite" standard. For someone over the age of 60 you have to 18 push ups to pass and 39 to make it to Elite.

I think I am going to ramp up next year and make sure I break 50.

Hope you can do it, Sentry. My shoulder and back already told me I'm not allowed to do that many pushups so I'm not going to try...
That's ok, Sentry's got low-miles on his odometer.
Let him enjoy it while he can:rolleyes:.
We'll see how much noise that chassis makes when it turns over 65.
oldboy1.gif

Last edited:
We'll see how much noise that chassis makes when it turns over 65.View attachment 29114
Lol I'm only 47. I'm just too busted up from my young and invincible days. Then I allowed myself to get fat on top of all that. Now I'm working on getting rid of the fat and getting my heart and lungs into useable condition first. If and when I get that done, I'll hit the strength part harder. For now, I'll just do normal, "average" strength training that doesn't stress the busted parts of my body too much...

Lol I'm only 47. I'm just too busted up from my young and invincible days. Then I allowed myself to get fat on top of all that. Now I'm working on getting rid of the fat and getting my heart and lungs into useable condition first. If and when I get that done, I'll hit the strength part harder. For now, I'll just do normal, "average" strength training that doesn't stress the busted parts of my body too much...
I get up in the morning and see how many of the joints that have frozen-up overnight I can get moving that day.
Worn out and torn up joints don't just jump into action when you bounce out of bed.
You are trying to get the ones that are frozen up to move and you turn on the TV:
....all we need is just some more exercise. Just do like me:dancing:.
brutal55vp.gif

We'll see how much noise that chassis makes when it turns over 65.View attachment 29114

All I am getting from this is to not stop working out. My 75 year old Dad still works out a couple times every week and is more active now than ever.

I know a lot of retirees who stay in good shape long into their 60's and 70's. We invite them out every year to join us for the PT test and again for the handgun qualifier (LEOSA) and rifle course. We had two guys over 70 show up last year, and they both passed.

^^^ This is true. I've mentioned my Pops before, who at age 84 is 5'10" and 165 lbs. He does two miles on the road or on the treadmill, 3-4 days a week. His speed is down to 2.8-2.9 mph, but he's still doing it. He also does a number of stretches and dumbbell excercises every day. I'm way more beat up physically than he is, but I hope to emulate him if I live that long...

Back