The Concept of "Two is One and One is None"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://thesurvivalmom.com/understa...ne, and One is,that can perform the function.

The Basic Idea of Two is One, and One is None​

The basic idea behind two is one, one is none, is to have multiple methods to accomplish certain goals and tasks. This redundancy means that when a piece of gear is broken or lost or loaned and not returned, you still have something that can perform the function. Essentially, part of emergency preparedness is expecting something to go wrong and preparing for it. Backups offer a little bit of insurance.

Example 1​

For example, in your bug-out bag, you should have a few different ways to get a fire going. If all you have is a single butane lighter, what will you do if it runs out of fuel? Or gets lost? Or breaks?

When possible, I strive for three methods or pieces of gear to accomplish basic tasks. For example, in my fire kit, I have the following:

Example 2​

I also have several different types of ready-to-light tinder:

Example 3​

A sharp blade is one of the most important survival tools. That being the case, I typically have three of them with me at all times.
  • A sheath knife. My preference is for a GNS model from LT Wright Knives.
  • A folding knife. My current favorite is a Kershaw Thermite, though I have carried several others over the years, such as a Buck 110 and a Swiss Army Tinker.
  • A small multi-tool, such as the Gerber Dime, which I truly love.

The Multi-purpose Nature of Two is One, One is None​

This whole idea behind having a backup or two for essential gear is one reason why multi-purpose items are a great idea. Rather than bog down your pack with a ton of stuff, you can cut down on weight while still achieving your goal of having multiple backups.

To accomplish this, take a good, hard look at your survival kit or bug-out bag. Do you have multiple ways to:
  1. Start a fire?
  2. Light up the night?
  3. Cut cordage, firewood, and other things?
  4. Signal for help?
  5. Navigate your way to safety?
For anything you don’t have at least three methods of accomplishing, take the time to figure out and add another one or two. Some may be multipurpose, such as a flashlight. That can help to light up the night and signal for help.

The Pro and Con of Multi-purpose Items​

The upside of multi-purpose items is that you need to pack less overall in your bag, which means it weighs less. (Or you can pack something else in it, too, I suppose.)

The downside is that if it is broken or lost, you are now down by one item in at least two categories.

It’s your responsibility to weigh the cost/benefit of using a multi-purpose item. Just be sure to consider it rather than be caught off-guard in an emergency situation with two or more capabilities unavailable, not just one.

Applying Redundancy Beyond Bug-out Bags​

This idea of redundancy and backups must also extend to your other preparedness areas.

What About Modern Conveniences?​

Are many of the conveniences you rely on are powered by electricity? How will you accomplish these tasks if there isn’t electricity? Here are a few scenarios:

• You store wheat berries and grind them into flour using an electric grain mill. Do you have a manual method that doesn’t involve mill stones?
  • All of your emergency lighting relies on batteries. What if life gets busy and those batteries you meant to buy at the store…are still at the store when the power goes out?
  • Your camping stove is your off-grid cooking method…and then you discover the valve is damaged and won’t couple with the propane tank. How will you cook or even heat water?
It’s important to consider these types of possibilities for things that are critical to survival and plan for backups.

What About Skills?​

We’ve spent most of this article applying the concept of two is one, one is none to gear and supplies. Yet, it is just as important to talk about redundant skills.

Using the example above of fire kit redundancies, one must also know who to use each of these methods. If I include a ferro rod and striker but don’t know how to use them, I may be in a world of hurt when I NEED a fire to survive. Have I built fires before? Can I build them in windy conditions? Wet? Have I built them from just what is available in my environment, not using pre-made tinder and accelerants? Because what if I didn’t have those?

You see what I’m getting at? Just as it’s important to have multiple pieces of fire-starting gear, it’s equally important to have practiced the skills to use each of them.

Why is the two is one, one is none concept so important?​

You may still think two is enough; there is no reason for any more. That may be true, but what if it isn’t? Imagine the simple scenario of an autumn hike. One of your party falls and injures themselves. They need medical attention. Your party splits up with one or more heading back the trail until they find a cell signal to call for help.

The group did have two flashlights, but after the split, each group has one. This is great until you realize the batteries are dead in one, or it was damaged in the fall.

Now one group has none, and it’s likely to get dark before you reach the trailhead.

If you think that is unrealistic, consider the following everyday scenarios that can easily deplete your emergency supplies:

• Your child goes camping with Scouts. At the drop-off point, they realize they forgot their pocket knife (first aid kit, fire starters, whatever). Being prepared, you pull one out of the car bag.
  • At the playground, a child skins their knee and needs bandages. You use some from your bag.
  • At sports, your child twists their wrist / ankle very slightly. The only thing that makes it “all better” is wrapping it with some of the self-sticking bandages from your emergency bag.
  • You have one unopened bottle of water left to share with your sick child. You use the water bottle / cup out of your emergency bag to avoid sharing germs, later taking the bottle / cup into the house to wash.
In all those instances, it’s easy to forget and never replace the missing items. That’s an easy thing to do when times are good, and your safety and survival aren’t dependent on a flashlight, bandages, or a pocket knife. As a prepper, though, we keep worst-case scenarios in mind — times that might now allow for easy replacement of vital tools and gear.

Buy the Best Quality Backups Your Budget Permits​

When we start out, many of our preps are often low-quality simply because we don’t know what we really need or what to look for to get good quality. These low-quality items often end up in various emergency bags. There isn’t necessarily anything wrong with that – honestly, I’m fine with the low-quality hammer and wrench in my car bag because they are truly just-in-case items I never, ever expect to use. But for critical areas like water, staying warm, and signaling, ensuring you have at least one higher-quality item could be a matter of life and death.

Going back to the example of a butane lighter, the simple fact is that many of us have lighters we picked up in the checkout lane as impulse purchases. These are almost always low-quality, disposable items. In decades past, high-quality refillable lighters were more widely available because smokers used them, and there were a lot more smokers in the USA. These disposable lighters aren’t refillable, and they are relatively easy to damage.

We all have budgetary limitations. Tossing in two cheap Mylar emergency blankets as backups for a higher-quality wool blanket or disposable lighters as back-up for storm-proof matches is perfectly reasonable. Personally, I know I have used my “emergency” wool blanket more than once. (We could have had a car accident if I hadn’t curled up on the sofa and napped while my son was in class – really!) Having backups is just good sense.

A Final Word​

Skill and gear redundancy is good advice and a sound survival principle. Identify the gear and other goods your survival depends upon and then begin adding back-ups. You won’t be sorry.

In what ways do you have redundancies for gear and skills?

Survival Mom said it better than I could. I thought this was a great article. This idea of two is one and one is none comes up for me in my mind daily. But there is also the mental and physical dilemma of clearing out and keeping closets and cabinets tidy. I think it is a constant in life.

Clothing is one example. Anyone else ever lose a glove or hat? I have, and today, my gloves weren't enough to keep my hands warm. I should have had my warm mittens.

Gloves:
Leather work gloves
Gardening gloves
Cold weather gloves and mittens

A number of years ago, probably decades ago, I bought three pairs of cloth gardening gloves. They wore out pretty fast. Now I have a few pair of leather gloves, but even they wear out eventually.
In the future, what happens if I lose or misplace some?

Hats:
I have winter hats that are more beanie type, and they are completely necessary in my life. I have summer sun hats with wide brims on them and they are also completely necessary. A few days a year, I can be seen wearing my beanie type hat under my sun hat. I have at least two of each, but have a few more stashed, such as one in my BOB.

Boots:
I have a few different types of boots. Interestingly to me, the soles of a couple pair have just fallen off. Maybe it was the glue that was used to attach the soles. What kind of glue should I have to reattach them? When the soles fell off, I just threw the boots away, because they were a couple decades old. In a SHTF situation, I could have worked on them and worn them longer.
Leather dress boots (in a few different colors)
Leather boots for daily wear to dog parks
Rubber coated boots (Boggs, water proof rain boots)

Shoes:
Leather dressier shoes (a few pair)
Crocs for gardening and yard work
Fleece lined leather slippers for wearing in the house
Sandals (Chaco's) (I need a back up pair)
Active wear shoes (more for daily wear when it is warmer and I am walking or moving around)

More clothing talk later.

Great thread, Weedy. We could probably start an entire category of multi use items that would be good to have.

Living off grid, we purchased several generators that are multi-fuel, both gas and propane.
I posted a topic in another area about redundant heating for our barn apartment. We will have a wood stove but a biomass boiler that can heat water and also our house is a great backup, especially if we can't get propane. We are surrounded by trees so plenty of fuel nearby.

I need to find a young family that wants to prep but doesn't have the money or time.....I have so many multiples of warm jackets, winter pac boots, and other cool stuff I pickup at yard sales and thrift stores. Just bought another dual fuel generator today for $75 that I tuned up and fixed last fall for a guy....I have to store it outside under a tarp since my whole little shop is full of other generators and "neat" stuff.

I need to find a young family that wants to prep but doesn't have the money or time

Maybe you could contact some churches in the area. They might know of some needy families that would appreciate the help.

Last edited:
I have matches, lighters, Rod with striker.
Fat wood sticks, candles & paper.
At least one folding knife, flashlight, in each of my trucks.
I carry a Swiss knife & a single blade folder every where, but the courthouse, which I do not go unless I am forced too.
I do have a Leatherman tool.

Bandanas or Shemaughs are excellent multi-use items. I keep at least one in all my bags. I am admittedly a huge sucker for anything multuse. The Mora Fire Knife is a good fixed blade with a ferro rod in the handle. Mora also makes a similar model that has a sharpener on the outside of the sheath. There are many other fixeed blade knives with similar features. Even a plain old cooking pot has several uses.

I keep a 5 Joy Military Folding Shovel in my car. This has several tools included and a pouch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014F0QL3...19273-2-391768360.1680099187&tag=brg_ana_2-20
What other multi-use items would you recommend?

Maybe you could contact some churches in the area. They might know of some needy families that would appreciate the help.
I do donate to a homeless shelter in my home town which is the state capital. This homeless shelter is self supprting and is the only homeless shelter in the whole town. Some of the churches offer a shower and clean up program and we have held fundraisers for them.
Our food bank in town is spending $8.2 million for a new building to give away donated food to a town of 35K......
I prefer to help set up a hard working young family that is looking towards the future.

Latest posts

Back