The Crazy History Of Singer And My Treadle Sewing Machine

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that Elk! Love seeing the old machines in operation. I've got an old treadle but it's not a Singer. Mine is a Free Sewing Machine Co. in a parlor cabinet. Need to get a new belt for it and give it a good deep clean/oiling. Not likely to happen any time soon though. It's pushed behind the sofa to make room for my weaving looms and spinning wheel.

1638858130506.jpeg

Mine is a red eye too, although the decals on mine need to be replaced. My cabinet is a little different than the one in the video, though, and I need to put the new belt on.
1638858226753.jpeg

We got one like this for my wife a few years back, it came with a new belt and a box of special dress makers accessories, I just love the beauty of the way they are made, ours was made in 1913. Singer also made .45 ACP pistols for the military as well as Rock Ola and a few other machine manufactures, I saw them all in a weapons collection that a retired colonel had in his vault in Denver years ago.

View attachment 76720

Mine is a red eye too, although the decals on mine need to be replaced. My cabinet is a little different than the one in the video, though, and I need to put the new belt on.
View attachment 76721
Mine is much like yours except the drawers are not as fancy. I picked up a spare belt and several needles, just because.

I've used it a couple of times but forgot how to thread it, thanks for the video.

Last edited:
View attachment 76720

View attachment 76721

My mother used to have one just like that, with the 3 drawers on each side and center drawer. I learned to sew all my doll clothes on that thing. Loved it. Years later she gave it to my sister in law, who probably still has it,, but I doubt she's ever used it.

I have a love/hate relationship with sewing machines. I had no problem with that old treadle and could sew all day long, but give me a new electric machine and I struggle with it. So much, that any sewing to be done is by hand with a needle and thread.

Reactions: Neb
Back