the dog killed a skunk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMC

The Shaman of suburbia's son and apprentice.
Neighbor
And now keeps going back to the carcass, and rolling around in it, it's somewhere in the very tall grass but we don't know where. How do we find it?

We have a spawning creek on either side of our property. The salmon would go up, spawn, and die. They would drift down the creek and rot on our beach. Our dog loved rolling on the rotten salmon, different smell but just as gross. She hated baths so as soon as she came up to the house she went into the tub. Be grateful, you only have one skunk to find and it is not replaced with more every tide.

I understand that tomato juice helps with the odor.

Last year I caught a skunk in a trap out by the garage. It was a little one so I thought I'd turn it loose. I saw a sheet on the front porch. Thinking it was for rags I used it to cover the skunk. Of course it sprayed all over the sheet, the garage door and me. Turns out the sheet was new and the wife just hadn't put it away yet.
Up in my fur shed I keep a couple bottles of Skunk Off that I use to wash my hands with. It works pretty good.

Didn’t know that @Magus
That’s Fine if Fido is a small dog. That’s a lot of lemonade. 🍋 Have you used citric acid for skunk odor? I’m asking for future reference.
I have used the food grade in like 1/4 cup per gallon. if it's too rich it blisters the little mutt. two bottles of the cheapo lemon juice ought to do a dog that size with enough left for a margarita.

I've got a neighbor that I bet would LOVE to rent your dog. Her dog has been sprayed by a skunk (in her back yard) 3 times in the last year & a half.

There is a long standing belief that tomato juice is what you should use for skunk sprayed dogs. I have heard and read many times that it is not really effective.

I know a dog that got sprayed. His owners have told me about their attempts to get rid of the smell. One said that he has been washed several times and where he was sprayed, the wash turns green.

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/de-skunking-your-dog

Step 1: Keep your dog outside​

You'll probably want to keep your dog outside while you get it together so they don't carry the smell indoors. Check their eyes; if they're irritated or red, immediately flush them with cool water.

Step 2: Mix the Ingredients​

Mix together:
  • 1 quart of 3-% hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy)
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap
De-skunking Shampoos on Amazon.com

Wearing rubber gloves, wash your dog with this solution immediately after they've been sprayed. DO NOT get the solution in their eyes. (If you don't have peroxide, baking soda, and liquid soap on hand, use vinegar diluted with water.)

Caution: Do NOT store this mixture or make it ahead of time, as the mixture could explode if left in a bottle.

Step 3: Clean and rinse​

Rub the mixture through their fur, but don't leave it on too long (peroxide can bleach fur). Rinse them thoroughly.

Step 4: Shampoo​

Next, wash your dog with pet shampoo and rinse thoroughly. By now, they should be de-skunked and smelling sweet. Thoroughly towel-dry your dog, and be sure to place them in a warm, sunny room for the next couple of hours so that they don't get chilled.

Owner cleanup​

If your dog rubbed some of the stink onto you, you can rid your clothes of the smell by using regular laundry detergent mixed with a half-cup of baking soda.

Latest posts

Back