• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The Encyclopedia of Country Living

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katlupe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I am sure anyone who is on this forum has heard of Carla Emery or better yet, already has this book. This is the newest one. I bought it to replace my old worn out one that fell apart. I relied on it constantly. I cannot tell you how many answers I found in these pages. Now that I have moved on and left that life behind, I feel this book needs a new home and someone who will be using it until it falls apart too.

This copy is in new condition. I am selling it for $20.00 which will include the shipping costs. It is a very heavy book and I think the shipping is around five bucks or so, Media Mail. So just let me know if you want it sent Priority Mail, and I can let you know the price, but you will have to pay for that. I accept Paypal or a money order sent to me.
carla0.JPG

An original manual of basic country skills that is suitable for people living in the country, the city and everywhere in between. It contains practical advice on how to cultivate a garden, buy land, bake bread, raise farm animals, milk a goat, grow herbs, churn butter, cook on a wood stove, over 2000 recipes, and more.Carla Emery started writing The Encyclopedia of Country Living in 1969 during the back-to-the-land movement of that time. She continued to add content and refine the information over the years, and the book went from a self-published mimeographed document to a book of 928 pages. This 40th Anniversary Edition reflects the most up-to-date resource information and the most personal version of the book that became Carla Emery's 39th version of her life work.

Attachments

• carla2.JPG
    carla2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
I recently won this same book and i'm reading it now. It is amazing and an excellent resource, everything from details of gardening to how to make egg noodles. There's so much wealth of information it's hard to put down.

I always went to it first with any question I had and used her recipes constantly. I was very sad when she died. I felt like I knew her.

I always went to it first with any question I had and used her recipes constantly. I was very sad when she died. I felt like I knew her.
She left an amazing legacy in writing her encyclopedia. I can't imagine how many people she has help/s by sharing her knowledge in print and how this will go on from one generation to the next.

I have the old one & knew much of what was in it, still a good read.
I do like the Fox Fire better & have about 20 other books.

Have lots of cooking books but forgot who wrote them.
Most our recipes are old so bet oen came out of it.

She had a forum for the testers for that book on HT. She was a mod there for that forum only. It was not a visible forum. It's a really good book. I have a copy of it for myself, too.

I remember that. I remember her asking for people to test recipes and that she even asked if she could stay at someone's house when she was in a certain area. Of course, everyone wanted her to stay with them! I was really sad when she died. Like I knew her, in a way, I did because I read that whole book. Everything in it. Even the stuff I was not going to ever do.

I am sorry to say that I sold it already. It is a good book and worth whatever you have to pay for it.

Back